Thompson

Anyone Remember?

This was brought up last time someone tired something like this, but: why? Doesn't cataloging and listing all this stuff kinda suck the fun out of it?

This was brought up last time someone tired something like this, but: why? Doesn't cataloging and listing all this stuff kinda suck the fun out of it?

Not really, can't you say the same for this thread?

I'm not going to post the list or look at it, it's purely so I have a reference for anyone who asks when some moment occurred so I can always have the answers.

I agree, cataloguing memes and comical occurrence is a pointless endeavour. It's always better for them to be rediscovered naturally.

I agree, cataloguing memes and comical occurrence is a pointless endeavour. It's always better for them to be rediscovered naturally.
If you plant a joke in this thread, forty years later, it will grow into a tree.

If you plant a joke in this thread, forty years later, it will grow into a tree.

Which will become a chair.

Give a man a meme, and he will laugh for a minute. Teach a man to meme, and he will laugh for a lifetime.

Why is he not nicknamed Chris "Space" Remo?

Chris "Space Boost" Remo?

Chris B. Remo, Chris Boost Remo, whose nickname is "Boost".

Chris Boost "Boost Space Boost" Remo.

Still no new Idle Thumbs? I can't consume any intelligent Video game content unless its interlaced with nerd memes! So I'm basically saying it's their fault I'm dumb.

So I was posting that picture Jake took of that adventure games cross-stitch I made to my flickr because I'm sifting through my files posting pics of sculptures and crap I made ages ago for some reason. Anyway, this led me to randomly do a Google search for "honey on the cat hair" and I suddenly realized that it actually made the rounds on some blogs and hobbyist sites at the time and I just didn't think to pay attention to the internet. Neat!

Anyway, it occurred to me that this was probably some sort of neoGaf meme that made it's way onto the cast at one point, but I always thought of "Honey on the cat hair makes a mustache" as an Idle Thumbs thing... Which episode was that?! Had to have been fairly late in the original run, because I recall saying "I gotta get this thing in the mail before their last episode!" at one point.

Also, is it true that the meme was sort of reinterpreted from one of the King's Quest sequel's puzzles? I read somewhere that you actually had to do this in a game, but it was syrup instead of honey... But maybe the internet doesn't know what it's talking about.

I think it was a Gabriel Knight game, you had to make a disguise which involved tricking a cat to go under a fence with a sticky surface in the underneath of it in order to get a ridiculous moustache ripped from its back

I don't know about it being reinterpreted in King's Quest, but it's definitely a puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3.

Idlethumbs didn't really make it famous. It was instead an older site called Old Man Murray using it as a prime example of why adventure games are dead/dying.

Truthfully, it's a pretty extreme example (although I'm sure there's other really bad adventures from the late 90s with worse that I haven't played), especially because it's in a major adventure game with a lot of lengthy and wacky puzzles already. Certainly when weird puzzles like that are done right without requiring that much suspension of disbelief, it's not as annoying.

More research reveals that it is indeed Gabriel Knight 3, my bad! And it really was maple syrup originally. Just as well, "honey" rolls off the tongue better anyway. The evolution and etymology of memes is fascinating, isn't it?

Any idea what Thumbs episode they busted it out in? Might be a tough find, I seem to recall it being just a single utterance followed by someone saying that would make a sweet needlecraft thing saying, like "Home Sweet Home"... so I did it. I'd like to confirm who's idea that originally was.

Oh, and on the subject of old ridiculous adventure games, I posted a link to a fairly amusing video review guy that has covered some of the FMV-era ones in the Episode 47 Thread. Ton of terrible games played with commentary!

The Spoony Experiemnet

Hey guys, do you remember this podcast called Idle Thumb i think? It was really funny but then they stopped making it

Hey guys, do you remember this podcast called Idle Thumb i think? It was really funny but then they stopped making it

Yeah, but then they started making The Idle Thumbs Podcast.

But then they stopped making that too.

I am not sure if I heard it be mentioned on a recent (as in "in the last six months") IT podcast, but it's my best guess. I am looking for a presentation from a recent games (dev) conference, where the speaker mentions himself playing a certain DS game during his coffee break every morning. When summing it up it turns out to be the game he has spent the most time on albeit only sacrificing 10-15 minutes each day. Must be something about social or casual gaming, but I can't for the life of me find it.

I am not sure if I heard it be mentioned on a recent (as in "in the last six months") IT podcast, but it's my best guess. I am looking for a presentation from a recent games (dev) conference, where the speaker mentions himself playing a certain DS game during his coffee break every morning. When summing it up it turns out to be the game he has spent the most time on albeit only sacrificing 10-15 minutes each day. Must be something about social or casual gaming, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Was it Idle Thumbs Standalone Expansion PAX 1: Ron Gilbert when he was talking about Animal Crossing?

Hmm no, I recall watching the video of the talk and remember the respective speaker and this fact being mentioned in a podcast. Since I only listen to two gaming podcasts and Idle Thumbs is the more development and meta-gaming focused one, I thought, I should ask here too.

Edit:

Found it. I am such a goof. The guy was Will Wright and he said he's playing 15 minutes of Advance Wars on his DS to get his brain up to speed every morning.

http://kotaku.com/5492761/guess-which-nintendo-game-spores-creator-plays-most-in-his-life

Edited by Luggage

I remember that podcast. It was the best damn podcast I've ever read.

PLEASE COME BACK THUMBS!

Does anyone remember when/where Chris noted the preponderance of startup game stuios that had names in the format "(wacky adjective) (animal)"? Chris listed a bunch of egregious examples, someone else tried to follow up with a wacky one before Chris was like "No, all of mine were actually real." or something like that.

I'm reminded of this by hearing about the new American McGee Alice game from "Spicy Horse" studios.

What was the name of the song they talked about replacing the Far Cry 2 music with?
"Life is beautiful", from the Deadly Premonition soundtrack. It's the best thing.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I still have no idea where the "horsebag" thing is from, but I've heard it mentioned in a few recentish episodes. Does anyone know when this was originally brought up?