Jaraknarn

Neptune's pride

man! I would love to be dark red in that game, with purple awol thats the best startin position iv ever seen, if he has any skill at all he's gonna dominate the late game, if u haven't managed to forge strength through warfare i think he may beat u with sheer resource bombardment!

Yeah, dark red(odd) had the same starting position in my first game I lost, only he was top left, but same situation, he just ate stars.

edit:

Gentlemen, If I may have your ears and thoughts on this early situation: Dark red and purple are not a concern. Red may not be, but his silence tells me that he will bring war. Teal could become a problem. As I mentioned I am expanding(the north and east) and taking the closest cluster of stars in the west and south... they will be mine by morning.

I am upgrading speed to level 2 which will be done by noon tomorrow where I will switch to weapons. It is another 24 hours until the next pay cycle and I spent my money on science(so it would take 12 hours instead of 20+ for that speed)

I have enough left to either increase a couple of star economies or create an armada of 20 ships. Do I go for the money in hopes no one will attacks within 24 hours or do I take the safe bet and create some defense on the border of red, or even just send it to take one of his stars as a warning that he should agree to NA.

I await your counsel.

The Map (I am orange)

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3396/idlecounsel.jpg

Edited by Murdoc

Just started a game with this awesome placement:

EMcu4.png

The only reason the guys surrounding me would not attack me, is that they too would start getting the shittiest position in the game.

I await your counsel.

The Map (I am orange)

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3396/idlecounsel.jpg

hmm, i think red is almost certain to attack u, so border defense on ur most westernly point is a must, i think when ur not in a corner somewhere and have more than 2 borders u have to resign ur self to losing stars, so if u do upgrade sacrifice cheapness for defendability ie, if a resource rich planet is right on the edge of ur space dont build economy on it until u have a large fleet there, i know its quite obvious but it took me a few days to start realizing. plus think about upgrade the industry on ur home planet, bump that bad boy up to level 6 or 7 and it churns out more ships than u know wat to do with, anyway back to the map, maroon is an unknown quantity, he may get distracted by red if ur border defenses on the few stars accessible to him make it clear u wont take any nonsense, and purely from the map positioning and not depending on which tech he's done advancing towards purple looks promising.

Yellow is clearly a novice, tell red as much and act like u know for certain ( like u know him or sumat ) then he might be inclined that way

Just started a game with this awesome placement:

The only reason the guys surrounding me would not attack me, is that they too would start getting the shittiest position in the game.

Dark red looks kinda inactive, push that way, he's got one of the better positions

Dark red looks kinda inactive, push that way, he's got one of the better positions

Thanks. Looks like I'll need some range upgrades first, as it's pretty sparse between us.

Thanks. Looks like I'll need some range upgrades first, as it's pretty sparse between us.

Yer, thats a real good idea, coz if it is longer than the basic jump that'll provide a sealed section of ur territory its very difficult to reach, coz not many people upgrade range early on

I was playin in one game where a guy and his 6 planets were completely isolated from the rest of the galaxy, an he had to research range to reach it, so wish i was him

Toblix: Ouch man. Pushing towards empty stars only leaves your borders undefended and leaves the surrounding guys to get close to your core systems.

Prison rules man. Start a gang(at least non agression two of the weakers, though your in a shitty position to side with) and make a run at the largest guy on the map.

I'm going to start a new game to try a strategy of just directly attacking with my starting fleets to the closest guy to see how that works. Sort of like a civilizations strategy to take out a civ quick and easy.

Day 2: Jarankarn thanks for the advice, unfortunately within a day the territory of the map has changed considerable. I'm playing the political game and have a lot of things on the go. I'd explain them in great detail so we can see if they either work or not work, but going to keep them for myself in the upcoming thumbs game, I'll catelog the ploys that don't work though.

Basically expansion and treachery. I'm eating stars and making so many different kind of pacts(tech, info, non agression for so many days, etc..)

My plan however is to militarily expand into teals territory, crush purple, then deal with red. As long as the timing works out and my tech exchanges work out it should be fine, hehe.

If you want to talk about great starting conditions:

84NUK.png

Notice three now AI-controlled neighbours, AND the ideal divide between me and the other players. This is great, but they are getting weary...

MZjZm.png

I made a spreadsheet to help calculate your success in fighting:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkMtNRK9gTN3dHhCUkYtc3JWekpRSFlYNmpuZW5zWHc&hl=en

If you have any negative number in Final fleet strength, it means your fleet will get wiped out (I don't know how to make any number less than zero show up as zero.)

Wow, nice job. Tell me, how did you determine the values used?

Okay, so some dude is offering a trade, but when I told him I was new to the game (largely as a diplomatic ploy) and asked him a bit about how trading worked, he told me that if I gave him a tech, I don't lose it but am instead giving him a copy. Is this true or is he trying to trick me?

You need to send him $9,000 (NINE THOUSAND AMERICAN DOLLARS) so his lawyer can process the transfer.

Okay, so some dude is offering a trade, but when I told him I was new to the game (largely as a diplomatic ploy) and asked him a bit about how trading worked, he told me that if I gave him a tech, I don't lose it but am instead giving him a copy. Is this true or is he trying to trick me?

Indeed true.

What I don't know is if you(or others) are searching that tech and someone sends it to you, does your research then get put into the next level of research or is it lost?

edit: stuff like battle calculators and tips just seem to suck the fun out of the game for me. I hope it doesn't catch on.

Also, I don't think the battle calculator sucks out the fun. Neptune's Pride gives you tons of information about your enemies/allies. The level of information everyone has to use is part of what defines the game. The battles play out without any randomness, so you're either calculating each battle by hand, using a calculator, or not going to win.

Also, I don't think the battle calculator sucks out the fun. Neptune's Pride gives you tons of information about your enemies/allies. The level of information everyone has to use is part of what defines the game. The battles play out without any randomness, so you're either calculating each battle by hand, using a calculator, or not going to win.

Yeah I just like use my noggin and having that chance for error, makes it more fun.

Wow, nice job. Tell me, how did you determine the values used?

Divide the number of attackers with the weapon skill of the defenders + 1, then divide the number of defenders with the weapon skill of the attackers. The two results are the number of rounds that happen until that side is completely destroyed. If its a decimal answer, round up to the closest natural number.

Then out of the two results, take the smaller number of rounds and multiply it by weapon skill. That result is the number of ships you will lose in the attack. Subtract that number from your starting fleet and you get the survivors. If you're a defender and you win, then I add back the number of ships you would have lost if the turn completed itself.

It was really fun figuring out how to make it, but that battle calculator William posted looks a whole lot spiffier.

Well I don't mean i sit there and calculate it, I suppose thats what people are doing, but just looking at the situation doing a brief calculation in your head and thinking it'll be alright.

I leave it more to chance, probably why I lose I guess.

Anyway, got bored at work because I cant get Neptune there so I made my own narrative for the thumbs game going on:

neptunenews01.th.jpg

I've played in a couple of games now, and I have to say that it only seems slow for the first day or two. After you start having skirmishes with an enemy that is powerful enough to take you down it starts to get really tricky and tense.

In one of the games I am in now I am squaring off with the most powerful player and I am probably in the bottom-half of the players. I have half the stars and economy he has, and roughly a third the industry that he has.

I've stayed in the game by employing a lot of gambits. I purposefully threw away half my fleet in an attack on his core worlds in order to draw the bulk of his fleet away from the front so that I could expand and conquer his forward base of operations.

As I type this I'm 2h30m away from a battle that could potentially decide my fate in the game, and it's probably the most suspenseful experience I've had in my gaming life. It started 9 hours ago when I saw a fleet of 60 ships returning from my diversion in his core-worlds with, heading back to reclaim his lost worlds with an ETA of ~12 hours. I only had 17 ships stationed in the area, so I immediately sent the few reinforcements I had in range to defend.

My fleet would not arrive for 14 hours, and even if it did arrive it would only bring my defenses up to 35 ships. I hastily opened the tab to compare our technologies, and saw that we had equal weapon skill and that my speed was 1 rank lower.

Luckily I've invested heavily in science and research things at a rate nearly double that of any of my opponents, so I opened the tech browser and did some math. If I could level up my speed my ships would arrive 30 minutes prior to his fleet, and if I can train my weapon skill prior to the battle, I would only need 37 ships to win. My heart sunk slightly as I realized that I could only complete 1 skill in time, with the second skill increasing 60 minutes after the battle.

:frusty:

Discouraged, but not without hope, I set my weapon skill as my leveling skill, increased industry 2 ranks at the battle-location, and opened the player browser once again. Cycling through the player list I saw that the player on the other side of my foe had the speed upgrade I needed to give me a chance. I sent him a message offering him a tech trade and strategic alliance.

At first he refused, not wanting to trade tech with the person who would become his next opponent, but I offered him 2-upgrades for 1, and pledged not to initiate any conflict with him. He reluctantly agreed, and passed me the speed upgrade I needed to survive!

:woohoo:

...unfortunately it's not guaranteed. If my opponent happens to be researching weapons or speed, or he has an alliance with someone with superior tech, and he gets a boost in the next 2 hours I will lose.

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

Congrats Nick.