Jaraknarn

Neptune's pride

There doesn't seem to be a thread for this game yet, its pretty good im all ready addicted, anyone else tried it?

Chris Remo should be getting commission tho, i started playing last night and iv already discovered 3 thumbs fans, i think he got into our brains. . . .

I'm playing my first game now. Not really sure what's going on, but SPACE!!!! And all that.

Fans of this game should really check out Sins of a Solar Empire. It's very similar, but you can zoom in and play the ship battles.

Awesome, i was wondering whether that was worth checking out, does it need quite a good pc tho?

Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game, but it really plays more like an RTS than the kind of asynchronous style game that Neptune's Pride seems to be. I've been meaning to start a game but haven't bothered thus far. I don't know why since part of it is very similar to an idea I've wanted to implement for a long while (albeit in a simplified fashion) so I can consider it "research."

That said, is there a way to make a server/universe/galaxy (whatever they call it) that's thumbs only? I'd be all over that.

AH, I'll use this thread to babel about my experiences.

So I'm wedged between a super goliath that will most likely win the game(if this is anything like all rts, where when you control the most resources you'll probably win) and a pretty big player(though over the course of this week he now has trouble below him with a rising empire)

So I'm screwed right? Nope. Turns out it's too expensive to go through me and theres only a small strip on which they can fight each other, so I'm getting letters about neutrality from both of them.

It could be a ruse and they will actually be allies or not... but the big guy could easily crush me if he gets any more space, so I think I'll side with the underdog and suicide into goliath territory to make him weak enough for the guy below me to finish the job.

AH, I'll use this thread to babel about my experiences.

So I'm wedged between a super goliath that will most likely win the game(if this is anything like all rts, where when you control the most resources you'll probably win) and a pretty big player(though over the course of this week he now has trouble below him with a rising empire)

So I'm screwed right? Nope. Turns out it's too expensive to go through me and theres only a small strip on which they can fight each other, so I'm getting letters about neutrality from both of them.

It could be a ruse and they will actually be allies or not... but the big guy could easily crush me if he gets any more space, so I think I'll side with the underdog and suicide into goliath territory to make him weak enough for the guy below me to finish the job.

Can you take a picture of this setup? My experience is like the complete opposite. I got really lucky in my game, since I started at a corner (I'm Purple). Blue and Burgundy are like a buffer zone against Teal and Red, which have much better tech than I do. I might be in trouble when their range lets them go straight into my territory, since a lot of my stars are undefended. Right now I can see blue's home planet and might invade to put him at a huge disadvantage, but I don't want to overextend myself and it seems like he's in a war with burgundy anyways. Green has been AFK for the past couple of days, so I'm just preparing a fleet to finish him off. If he logs back in though I'm probably screwed out of a lot of territory, since I extended around him and he can take it a lot of it without any retaliation... I probably expanded too much, I got really carried away pretending to create a diabolical space empire.

SquidEmpire.png

Yeah I already lost. My home planet will be overrun within 5 hours. Guess my plan didn't work, the flaw was assuming he had his fleet somewhere else and not just spread out everywhere. The game needs spys/scouts, hehe.

My situation was basically like your map only upside down and I was the dark red guys. I wonder if map placement(on the edge/corners) has a lot of help in the matter, because the two corner guys are the super power in my game as well.

Also, I relinquished all tech, funds, and opened up some stars for my nonagression pact buddy since he will get sandwitched soon; might as well help him out.

edit: Oh and I need to point this out too as its kind of weird. But I could have probably have survived a bit longer if I woke up at 3am to create some fleets and move them around, but I didn't. I did notice the guy that is about to take over was moving around all day, but then he attacked during the night as well... did this guy sleep or what?

Wurtsi i have checked thread which u add it i think the other thread give me alot of information.you have to be at least 18 years old to qualify. This offer will not last long and once the ipad touch is available to the public.

Edited by annymack

So, if I could start my first game over, I would put considerably more money into economy from the get go. My daily payments are pitiful and I'm trying to subdue a smaller neighbour to claim a corner in the galaxy, so I don't have cash to pour money into tech research!

Still, this game is a lot of fun.

So, if I could start my first game over, I would put considerably more money into economy from the get go. My daily payments are pitiful and I'm trying to subdue a smaller neighbour to claim a corner in the galaxy, so I don't have cash to pour money into tech research!

Still, this game is a lot of fun.

Yeah I did science and economy at the start, but I dont have anyone to defend, so that didn't work. I think starting place has a lot to do with what strategy you use. I just need to play more games to figure out what goes with what.

Yeah I already lost. My home planet will be overrun within 5 hours. Guess my plan didn't work, the flaw was assuming he had his fleet somewhere else and not just spread out everywhere. The game needs spys/scouts, hehe.

My situation was basically like your map only upside down and I was the dark red guys. I wonder if map placement(on the edge/corners) has a lot of help in the matter, because the two corner guys are the super power in my game as well.

Also, I relinquished all tech, funds, and opened up some stars for my nonagression pact buddy since he will get sandwitched soon; might as well help him out.

edit: Oh and I need to point this out too as its kind of weird. But I could have probably have survived a bit longer if I woke up at 3am to create some fleets and move them around, but I didn't. I did notice the guy that is about to take over was moving around all day, but then he attacked during the night as well... did this guy sleep or what?

yes it was very kind of u to unite the entire galaxy against me during your death throws, yer i think i need to re-evaluate my opening strategy, im in 2 games atm and after examining everyone elses set up on my first game decided to sacrifice a few ecos and industry upgrade to get a research, if u think about it it effectively doubles ur tech progression speed from the get go, and so far in both games iv started smack bang in the middle of everyone and over-extended my self both times and been completely surrounded by treachery on all sides, even tho i would have honoured every sentence of any pact i agreed to (sigh)

Oh, an to the guy who posted his map pic, the passive ai's continue to make ships every build cycle, which i learnt to my own chargrin earlier this mornin, even if the guy only left the bare bones of industry the longer u leave it the more ship u'll have to fight to get those planets later

yes it was very kind of u to unite the entire galaxy against me during your death throws,

You were in the Mu sualocin galaxy?

I have moved onto another galaxy(Nu menkalinan)to start a new game and these people seem way more chatty then my last game, people wanting alliances, tech, etc...

I'm in the middle right hand side so it may not be so bad. A couple of NAPs and I should be ok. My strategy now is EXPANSION; the more stars I get the more monies I have. Take as many stars as fast as possible, all my money went to economy initially and in 6 hours it will go to science for speed upgrades. From there I will work on industry to create a massive armada and start expanding into enemy territory.

That's the plan anyway, I'll let you guys know how it's goes, not too sure really.

OT: If this game was on the ipad and since i can't log in at work(google banned) I'd probably get an ipad, so I guess that's a use for the ipad. Also the fact it reminds me of the thing kirk always was looking at would be pretty rad if they jazzed up the interface to look like some scifi data pad displaying the daily results of my empire.

aw dude, i feel totally bad now, ha, it wasn't u, but that description u gave earlier in the thread sounded exactly like my game, theres a guy in mine called 'idle spaceships' (hmmm, wonder which podcast he listens too) who was sweet talkin me for ages an he was gonna leave me one planet so i had a route to side slip him and attack the guy on his border with a united assault and the guy allowed the guy we were gonna attack onto that planet then sent an open letter to me an every other player sayin i had got too big for britches and that now was the time to unite and destroy me, treacherous space puffin!

now was the time to unite and destroy me, treacherous space puffin!

God damn space puffin Bojo!

yeah that sucks, I'd side with any thumb and honor that agreement before doing anything like that. It's good to know other peoples games play out similiarly to one and another, it means I'll learn faster and adapt. Should be interesting.

God damn space puffin Bojo!

yeah that sucks, I'd side with any thumb and honor that agreement before doing anything like that. It's good to know other peoples games play out similiarly to one and another, it means I'll learn faster and adapt. Should be interesting.

Na, you need to be brutal in these games. You guys need to play some Diplomacy!:P

Na, you need to be brutal in these games. You guys need to play some Diplomacy!:P

:shifty: I'll remember that if you're ever in my galaxy....

Okay, so I'm really enjoying it, but still in the early stages of the game. It's clear that the yellow guy is dominating and me and the red guy seem to be most at risk. I'd like to join up with the red guy to take this guy out.

So, stupid question: how exactly might I go about doing that? I'm just not clear on how combat would work with two different players attempting to attack the same fleet. What's the best way to go about this, assuming the red guy is willing to cooperate?

I'm assuming you are the light blue here. I'd convince Dark Blue to head south. Play up that there is a void between ye which will be difficult to attack accross at an early stage. Ask for minimal garrisons to be left at your closest point and that no other ships be allowed there.

Red and Yellow will naturally attack one another due to the close borders. If i were you I would sit back for a while and colonise all the stars to your NE, first of all blocking all access to them and then working back in. Keep all your neighbours sweet - again you have void zones with red and yellow - and see what happens.

In the meantime build up your research in the one that lets your ships fly further untill it is nearly done. then stop it. When you go on the attack immediatly finish the research and then send out your ships to mop up whoever is weaker of red and yellow (hard to say which since purple doesn't seem to be playing).

That's what i would do. I could be horribly wrong:P

Here you go:

From that screenshot it looks like you've been playing for an hour, maybe give it a day or two to see how things shape up? :eek:

Constructive advice from someone who has only lost: From the looks of the map and depending ont he next 24 hours, red isn't your problem and I bet yellow isn't either. The distance between you and red is pretty big without a chain of stars easily connecting you two. Yellow is chaining up the closest stars which leads right to red. Not to mention red has a lot of open stars to the east he can easily expand into.

Dark blue, however, is close and without know his starting position it looks like he is moving to the west(towards you) But with open stars to the south east, will he make that big of a push?

You have open stars to the south north, I'd take a small fleet (5 or less) and start sucking those up, take the rest of your armada(meaning everyone and push them towards dark blues border. Wait awhile and see where he expands, if he attacks you, your defense will help and he will most likely lose, if you see him taking up a bunch of stuff to the south west(like I mentioned) move into his terriroty.

To keep it safe, try to make a pack with yellow and red seperately(not together, you want those two to fight for a small control of thier chain of stars while you take the north. In which case after that you may have orange and green to deal with, but with NAPs on yellow and red your safe to conquer.

That'd be my inclination.

man! I would love to be dark red in that game, with purple awol thats the best startin position iv ever seen, if he has any skill at all he's gonna dominate the late game, if u haven't managed to forge strength through warfare i think he may beat u with sheer resource bombardment!