Joflar

Neptune's Bountiful Pride

Looks like I'll have to try a different strategy in this game due to my position and slow research.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm REALLY interested in knowing what was going on between Boris and Toblix. You guys kind of remained out their on your own for the longest time, so I'm really curious to know the relationship.

We didn't really have much, if any, communication. I had sort of an armistice with the guy to my right, and thought that if I could invade the guy to my left I would have an awesome little corner to do all my stuff in. I always do the thing where I wait just a bit longer so I can get that next research level or a slightly bigger fleet before I go in, and I waited too long, so that when I finally decided to attack, and had to move all my forces to that side, I got invaded by three other guys from my right. Or girls.

Those of you in the 12-player game, could you post the race-avatars that aren't in 8-player games?

I feel like I should/shouldn't say something about hot scoops.

It's got to a point where everyone knows what's going on... ridiculously large scan range, everyone is withing grasp of each other.

Now that you're dead and gone in that game, could you share your strategy? I would love to know what you were going for.

My strategy wasn't too elaborate. I was still trying to understand the mechanics of the game. There were a few stars to the left of me that could not be traveled to without first upgrading range for the hyperspace jumps so that was the first thing I did. Once I got the stars over there I began bumping up the industry and made those my primary ship factories. But the entire game I completely forgot to put any points into science anywhere. Needless to say, when I finally started getting attacked I was instantly steamrolled.

I sent a lovely message early in the game to Toblix about giving me a southern path (some stars he didn't have yet but I knew he would get eventually) so that I could have some elbow room, but I accidentally sent it to someone else and by the time I realized this we were fighting and that was pretty much the end of any peace talks with us.

I wasn't able to expand at all beyond the feeble amount of stars readily available to me. I through everything into economy, neglecting the building of ships, then I through everything into industry, neglecting economy and so forth.

This goes back to my early strategies with StarCraft where since I didn't know how to play the game yet I would just mass marines or just mass battlecruisers. Until I really get into a game my strategies are very narrow minded and focused.

Needless to say, I want to play again and not do all those things.

Thanks for sharing boris, it was interesting to see what was going on and pretty much makes sense. It's really neat that starting position and neighbours really determine the course of strategy and I haven't played enough to know how to deal with things.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get bumped for the new game pretty quick so I'll try to get game 3 up and running after that, hehe.

I have nowhere near enough time to play this, but I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the thread and various reports on it :tup:

It sounds a bit like Diplomacy, in that the game encourages all sorts of negotiation, pacts and the breaking of them, and it could really lead to animosity if anyone forgets it's just a game.

Man you Puffin Galaxy people are roleplaying that shit to the max. My inbox is hilarious.

Who are you in game Marek?

Who is anybody? honest question actually. lol

Haha, yeah I wasn't prepared for the roleplaying... made me chuckle when I read my inbox. Thanks guys :) I'm going to do my best to play along.

I'm SP4CE C4T in game. Space cats don't look quite how I imagine them, but they are from space I guess, so it's ok.

Let me know if you guys start up another game!

It would be cool to take screenshots of that on a regular basis, and then at the end of the game stitch it together into a time-lapse animation.

Was it civ 3 that had a map like that at the end of the game, where you could watch the tides of influence ebb and flow?

That's a pretty sweet map we are on actually, never everyone has a corner to back into. Diplomacy shall rule the day.

Oh, apart from red. Red is dead.

Was it civ 3 that had a map like that at the end of the game, where you could watch the tides of influence ebb and flow?

That's a pretty sweet map we are on actually, never everyone has a corner to back into. Diplomacy shall rule the day.

Oh, apart from red. Red is dead.

Ohhhh the Red Space Squids have a bold plan for the future of the galaxy, unfortunately it's a future for those who breath water and have tentacles.

My plan is already underway and will come to light in... well 3 days.. that map is big, lol.

Also in memory of the Squid Division from the first game, I have named a new fleet Squid Division Nova.... since I'm now a squid and probably will be extinct before the second week.

Ohhhh the Red Space Squids have a bold plan for the future of the galaxy, unfortunately it's a future for those who breath water and have tentacles.

My plan is already underway and will come to light in... well 3 days.. that map is big, lol.

Also in memory of the Squid Division from the first game, I have named a new fleet Squid Division Nova.... since I'm now a squid and probably will be extinct before the second week.

Yeah, that first game was something else. It amazes me I wasn't taken out along with Squid

Edited by jennoa

The Jennovian Empire (that's me) has started a fledgling Trade Federation. Join up now!

Limited avenues of expansion make me think this is going to be a relatively quick game for me. :grin:

Yeah, that first game was something else. It amazes me I wasn't taken out along with Squid

I think we found a bond a pretty early on and I was relunctant to fight someone with a cool portrait picture, just because turtles with space masks and a gun are friggin awesome, hehe.

Anyway that was my reason to not plot against you, the portraits can go a long way, hehe.

Though to be fair decap(dpp) was an early patron of my trade business until Squid Division destroyed my reputation; so it may have gone either way.

edit: Also I may be talking about the first game in the past tense, but honestly it's still everyones game, I think everyone is large enough to recover from almost anything, it's just I detached concern because I'm more interested in the 2nd game now, hehe.

The map for the second game seems to be larger than the first one... if it is, I can see it lasting for a couple of months. Good luck with that!

The map for the second game seems to be larger than the first one... if it is, I can see it lasting for a couple of months. Good luck with that!

Not only is it larger, but research is more expensive too.

Not only is it larger, but research is more expensive too.

It is? Anyway, sorry everyone I picked the wrong game after talking with Joflar.

For the future Joflar picked a "custom" game where as I picked the baxter galaxy since it said 12 players, so I assumed thats the one we were using.

I think the first games settings were a little more ideal.