Joflar

Neptune's Bountiful Pride

I know it's gratis, but it requires a google account.

Yeah pretty much, I keep clicking dots but I'm loosing for some reason. Anyone have any tips on how to get better at clicking them?

Wutsi; cool, I guess that answers the question that you can join more then one game at once, because a couple of those guys are in the game I'm in.

Yes you can definitely join more than one. I'm playing 3 myself right now.

Also I'm a horrible cheat so I googled "Neptune's Pride tips" right when I got into my first game. Found this: http://www.rxtx.co.uk/tag/neptunespride/ It's not very deep, but there's some great basic tips and such to get one started... I think... I'm still a complete n00b so I have no clue if they actually work.

ok, so I clicked some dots... and now I have to wait

Sounds good to me. I'm all for going with a long game. I just started a short free game, and I am curious how the dynamics change with a longer play session.

I'm in. Alias is Irishjohn (currently playing in a free game as rockbear22 but it's easier to have the same alias as my thumbs name)

Any idea how time difference is going to affect our global thumbs community? I am in Texas now, but I'll be in Taiwan for a few weeks starting soon.

I'm in. Alias is Irishjohn (currently playing in a free game as rockbear22 but it's easier to have the same alias as my thumbs name)

Any idea how time difference is going to affect our global thumbs community? I am in Texas now, but I'll be in Taiwan for a few weeks starting soon.

Will make it more interesting I guess. Different time zones mean different timescales to attack. Or it means we'll all ruin our lives with not sleeping. One of those!

Do we have enough to rock and roll? Lock and load? Weapons hot? Stay frosty?

Do we have enough to rock and roll? Lock and load? Weapons hot? Stay frosty?

Looks like we're running over full capacity depending on the maybies; so I guess first come first serve? Or any other method people prefer. I'm just keeping a list for organization purposes, I guess it's Joflar's call.'

Joflar

Squid Division

Wursti

Sombre

Jennoa

dpp

El Muerte

Irish John

Toblix

Murdoc

*Groucho (Someone tell Groucho he's in)

*Sully907 (needs the ability to log in first... give us an update[/b!])

*Grippage (Was that a squeel a sign of being in?)

If we can get a com on those three and Jo just needs to guide us on what we need to do to join, we're close to being ready (I guess?)

edit: I don't think there is a way for spectators, but it'd be really neat if the events it sends all players gets filtered for pertinent global events to read out like a galactic news report so the other thumbs knows what's going on in the galaxy.

edit2: Oops, I was pretty sure you were on the list, toblix, sorry.

Edited by Murdoc

I did send a paypal to get credits but it might take a few days to actually get them cuz it's the first time I've used paypal to send money.

edit: says pending until April 21

Edited by Joflar

I can defiantly see myself waking up in a cold sweat agonizing over a move that won't bear fruit for three more hours.

That's a good question on time zones, I suppose it is all based off the the server time, so while you jump from location to location the game marches on unperturbed.

It seems like early on stuff is based on days (or 24 hours), so we could control the early turns in that respect by choosing when we start the game.

Something like 8 or 9pm GMT might be good for that as it's not an awful time for Americans or Europeans.

wow... this game is intense...

I just captured 2 stars, and could build some additional economy and industry...

:shifty:

I could join a game if people don't mind me not having the faintest clue what I'm doing (I'm bad enough at strategy games as it is) and possibly forgetting that it's going on at some point maybe and therefore leaving my people to die. It sounds interesting, but I often think that about strategy games and then discover I'm too stupid for war.

As far as I can tell, there isn't mobile-specific or mobile-friendly version of this game, is that correct? As I think has already been suggested, the slow pacing sounds well suited to playing on a phone while on the train or something. I mean, I don't know, I haven't even tried the game yet, but it sounds like it's not exactly twitch action or hardware-intensive. I'm guessing all it would need would be some smart interface design.

I can't tell if I like the no mobile support or not. I would certainly use it should there be an iPhone app, but I kinda like the nervousness of, shit I need to get back and move my fleets around.

Also, I LOVE the fact that the diplomacy system is just a message/inbox system. After so many other 4X games, the simplicity was just kind of stunning when I realize that's all it was.

The game seems to be a WWI simulator for me. Build-up, border tension with backroom dealings and alliances, and the defender always having the advantage.

I can't tell if I like the no mobile support or not. I would certainly use it should there be an iPhone app, but I kinda like the nervousness of, shit I need to get back and move my fleets around.

Also, I LOVE the fact that the diplomacy system is just a message/inbox system. After so many other 4X games, the simplicity was just kind of stunning when I realize that's all it was.

The game seems to be a WWI simulator for me. Build-up, border tension with backroom dealings and alliances, and the defender always having the advantage.

I encourage everyone to download PC Gamer UK's podcast- Number 38. They talk extensively about how the diplomacy works and stuff, it's riveting.

Oh wow, I completely missed the second page. My previous post is therefore dumb. Enjoy your game everyone!

Yeah, I don't think this game is for me.

It' just slow... and boring.

Ok, that's cool El muerte. Not sure if it's totally for me, but I just like space, so it'll be interesting to get a long game going between friends.

So JamesM, your up after all.

Joflar

Squid Division

Wursti

Sombre

Jennoa

dpp

JamesM

Irish John

Toblix

Murdoc

*Groucho (Someone tell Groucho he's in)

*Sully907 (needs the ability to log in first... give us an update[/b!])

*Grippage (Was that a squeel a sign of being in?)

DOesn't look like I can play fellas, I guess my google account isn't google enough for it to work :(

Long time listener, first time poster. Hook me up!

I would love to play a game of neptunes pride with this seemingly great community.

So JamesM, your up after all.

Oh shit, it's boring enough for someone to drop out? I don't know about this...

<? include 'toblix.sig'; ?>

OK I signed up for this thing. Just doing a free game to try it out.

Yeah, I don't think this game is for me.

It' just slow... and boring.

It's cool that it's not your thing but could you try to sound less sarcastic / super hard to please though? I'm just saying a more positive tone would make your posts a lot nicer to read.

I wasn't being sarcastic. The game really is slow, you make a few moves, and then you have to wait hours up to a day, before you can do anything else. And the things you can do are not really much more than move you ships to a selected star system, and spend money the 3 resources or ships. (or in a later stage you can "trade" science by spending a small fee, but I'm not sure how that works.) Anyway, to me it feels a lot like an internet version of chess-by-mail. If it was more like "Star Reach" I probably would have liked it.

What I was getting at was the tone of your posts rather than whether you meant what you wrote. I know that you are serious about your opinion, I'm just saying if you expressed it more like you just did in that last post (offering some reasoning) it's way nicer and more interesting to read than "pah this is boring" or "wow this game is really intense" (sarcasm).

Whatever, I probably shouldn't have said anything, because now this becomes a thing.

I totally agree with how you just characterized the game and it will only have appeal to some people (it may not be to my taste either btw, I'm curious to see if it can maintain my interest).

I'm aware I'm an unknown around here, but if there's room in a Thumbs game I'd love to play. I just started my first game a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it despite how slow paced it is. At least the length of time it takes to do anything feels like it's trying to simulate the time it'd take to travel to stars. It doesn't feel like you're given arbitrary waiting periods so that the web site makes you come back a lot to up the amount of hits it gets.

But then I'd probably find it amusing to play a NASA game where you send someone to outer space and then have to wait a few days before they get anywhere. In the mean time you get to watch choppy videos of them and hear them complain about the food.