Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 6: Shoveling Your Hat and Crow

That is some Ebert grade semantics right there.

Is this going to become a standard point of comparison in Internet Rhetoric? I sure hope not.

To counter all this dry production talk, I present to you: Mr. Bucket in the Ides of April. Starring the Idle Thumbs crew as robots.

http://tindeck.com/listen/pxup

I would like to state, I jammed out to this for a good 2 or 3 replays. :clap:

My worthless post was was pointing out the utter ridiculousness of your line of reasoning.

You said EA doesn't make games. That was your original argument. In the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary you then conceded they do make games, technically, you suppose. But not really.

Herp derp, thanks. I'm glad you could point that out for me.

I already said I was wrong, earlier on. I worded the original post bad simply taking a stupid dig at EA. Didn't know there were so many EA fans around here now. I did concede to both EA Montreal and EA Redwood Shores which I looked up myself. Again, top notch reading skills you've got.

Marek and Remo took fault with me not including the subsidiaries either way. So now it's about that, parent and child relationships and whether extensions define the parent. But I already know it'll go nowhere.

Try again next time, maybe you can even try to have something useful to say to boot.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Herp derp, thanks. I'm glad you could point that out for me.

I already said I was wrong, earlier on.

Yeah, and the semantic acrobatics you used in weaseling around that are exactly what was amusing.

I made a lame joke about it. At least one person found it funny. That's half the point of posting on a forum.

The joke was at your expense and I thought you'd realise what you had done and laugh and/or take it on the chin. I didn't anticipate you getting so spectacularly offended. Bad judgement on my part, I apologise.

Try again next time, maybe you can even try to have something useful to say to boot.

You stay classy, dude :blink:

Critical as you may be of EAs past mismanagement of acquired studios, you have to agree they make games. People love to hate the publisher, but in all honesty, you have to give some credit to the money man. If it weren't for their funding a lot of those games they "don't make" wouldn't have existed.

That's half the point of posting on a forum.

Haha, wow, even your apology manages to be more insulting.

Again, I'm glad you could guide me on how to use the internet properly, now how about shutting the fuck up? :finger:

...you have to give some credit to the money man. If it weren't for their funding a lot of those games they "don't make" wouldn't have existed.

That's a large conclusion to take from that. Why should I have to give credit to them by default? If anything I would think the industry would be a lot better if instead of having behemoths like Activision, EA, and Take Two being the gatekeepers to pretty much which games get published and which games don't. I don't necessarily think their existence and the amount of money they invest in certain projects means great games necessarily come from that model.

If anything, I think more great games get stifled from ever being made because there are only a few companies really running the place and major retailers. I'm hoping the more we move to digital downloads, the less big publisher take overs will matter.

I don't even know why this is coming up now. Because I thought it was an issue of me recognizing the subsidiaries as EA themselves. But now apparently I need to respect this company for simply having a lot of money and sometimes making good investments with it.

I would like to state, I jammed out to this for a good 2 or 3 replays. :clap:

Thanks. That's what it's for!

My worthless post was was pointing out the utter ridiculousness of your line of reasoning.

You said EA doesn't make games. That was your original argument. In the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary you then conceded they do make games, technically, you suppose. But not really.

I like that that's somehow become an insult among the gaming community now. :shifty:

Haha, wow, even your apology manages to be more insulting.

Again, I'm glad you could guide me on how to use the internet properly, now how about shutting the fuck up? :finger:

That's a large conclusion to take from that. Why should I have to give credit to them by default? If anything I would think the industry would be a lot better if instead of having behemoths like Activision, EA, and Take Two being the gatekeepers to pretty much which games get published and which games don't. I don't necessarily think their existence and the amount of money they invest in certain projects means great games necessarily come from that model.

If anything, I think more great games get stifled from ever being made because there are only a few companies really running the place and major retailers. I'm hoping the more we move to digital downloads, the less big publisher take overs will matter.

I don't even know why this is coming up now. Because I thought it was an issue of me recognizing the subsidiaries as EA themselves. But now apparently I need to respect this company for simply having a lot of money and sometimes making good investments with it.

What you and everyone else needs at this point is to let it go.

Any further discussion of this topic in this thread will result in a temporary ban. I don't care who instigated it or perpetuated it at this point; I'm not going to go back and check. It's off-topic and rancorous.

What you and everyone else needs at this point is to let it go.

Any further discussion of this topic in this thread will result in a temporary ban. I don't care who instigated it or perpetuated it at this point; I'm not going to go back and check. It's off-topic and rancorous.

...Alright, back on-topic! Mr. Bucket is pretty sweet, isn't he?

...Alright, back on-topic! Mr. Bucket is pretty sweet, isn't he?

Well, your balls pop out of his mouth for sure.

Guys I had this weirdest dream, I was dreaming about the big dog, only the sniper from TF2 was riding it. I made a picture to show you what it was like:

11iz7v4.jpg

Edited by Hermie

I love the fact that the idle thumbs podcast is inspiring people to do stuff.

See Chris, Hot Scoops, Video Games, you have to keep going or we'll run out of inspiration!

Even if some of that is rants.

Dreamcast: Last night I had a dream that Hermie came on the forums and said he had a dream about the sniper from TF2 riding a Big Dog and then posted a photoshop of it.

I was very tired last night.

I love the fact that the idle thumbs podcast is inspiring people to do stuff.

See Chris, Hot Scoops, Video Games, you have to keep going or we'll run out of inspiration!

Even if some of that is rants.

Yeah, that is pretty cool. Control Point was like that, if anybody listened to it. Well, it was until Spencer left, and it pole-vaulted over the shark.

Yo I found a video of the Big Dog enjoying some vacation time.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0s7aRUIoTw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0s7aRUIoTw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Also I just finished Sam and Max 301 and didn't see Famous' name in the credits. Did I just miss them? He does work at TT, yes?

He could be working on some super secret and awesome project so hard he doesn't have time for the Sammun-Mak! :woohoo:

I wonder how much an actual dog would freak the fuck out at one of those things. If my dog being scared shitless of a vacuum is any indication, a lot.

Yo Sumo, I didn't work on Sam & Max 301 -- I've been doing odds and ends on later episodes but The Devil's Playhouse is pretty much all Chuck Jordan, Mike Stemmle and Joe Pinney in the design department.

Cmon now Sean, you can't be very famous if you're not going to work on every one of these things now. :grin:

Yo I found a video of the Big Dog enjoying some vacation time.

That made me cry. Imagine if you went to Thailand and it was your dream vacation, you were going to paradise. Then first day of your vacation you walk onto the beach and see the fucking bigdog. IN THE WATER. You apparently can't escape it by going in water. If it persued you, crossing a river would not help. Personally I'd be broken.

Dreamcast: Last night I had a dream that Hermie came on the forums and said he had a dream about the sniper from TF2 riding a Big Dog and then posted a photoshop of it.

I was very tired last night.

Uhm.... Are you sure that was a dream?

That made me cry. Imagine if you went to Thailand and it was your dream vacation, you were going to paradise. Then first day of your vacation you walk onto the beach and see the fucking bigdog. IN THE WATER. You apparently can't escape it by going in water. If it persued you, crossing a river would not help. Personally I'd be broken.

I actually would be sad if a wave came out of nowhere and knocked the Big Dog over. It struggles to get up, but can't. It gets pulled out to sea, the bee sound doing that whole circuit bent pitch down slow down thing that robots on TV do when they get unplugged.

Edited by Ravioli_Sumo