Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 6: Shoveling Your Hat and Crow

Steve is on break this week, but Famous' revenge is delivered in laugh form.

Shoveling Your Hat and Crow

Special guest Sean Vanaman joins us on a slow motion journey through strategy and space as we talk about the Infinity Ward kerfuffle, the most honest week in StarCraft history, and how from the outside, bullet time looks really fast, and dumb. We think it will pique your magic, in an interesting way.

Games Discussed: StarCraft, Flotilla, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, Red Dead Redemption, Oops! All Bullet Time, Neptune's Pride, Imperial 2030, The Impossible Game, Dark Void Zero, Team Fortress 2, Grand Theft Auto: The Ballad of Gay Tony, Mr. Bucket, and Far Cry 2 as Alice

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

downloading.....

downloading.....

COME ON!!!

When I saw the iTunes feed update I was like :woohoo:.

Thanks Thumbs!

Have to download it later when I get home. I'll listen to it during tomorrow. :tup:

Re: Bullet-time in multiplayer "someone should make that game" -- get hold of a copy of Stranglehold and live out those dreams fellas. It implemented multi-player bullet-time battles pretty much as you described. Your bullet-time meter filled over time (took about 60 seconds to fill completely iirc), you could only trigger it when the meter was full, however you didn't need to use the entire meter at once, so you could use it in short burst more regularly, or a longer period, but with a longer cooldown period.

Was a much more fun game than some gave it credit for imo:tup:

zomg... another one, it's almost weekly :woohoo:

time to download it and annoy my coworkers with constant snickering.

Wasn't expecting a cast this week so this was an awesome surprise. Also, glad to see Sean's return.

I played through the entirety of Far Cry 2 twice before hearing that it even had a hang glider. I'm weirdly pleased by this.

Very stoked about this cast, thanks a lot for the frequency, Thumbs! Time to confuse my coworkers by putting on my headphones and cackling like a loony.

Re: Bullet-time in multiplayer "someone should make that game" -- get hold of a copy of Stranglehold and live out those dreams fellas. It implemented multi-player bullet-time battles pretty much as you described. Your bullet-time meter filled over time (took about 60 seconds to fill completely iirc), you could only trigger it when the meter was full, however you didn't need to use the entire meter at once, so you could use it in short burst more regularly, or a longer period, but with a longer cooldown period.

Was a much more fun game than some gave it credit for imo:tup:

I'm listening to the cast now and I'm yelling "PERFECT DARK" at my iPod. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of power up that you could use in multiplayer. If I recall correctly, everyone slowed down when you used it, including you. It just afforded you more accuracy. Maybe someone with the XBLA version can confirm this...

Neptunes Pride... Wheeling and dealing? I'm not doing this and about to get sandwitched between a goliath and a dude that is flying his entire 52 ship fleet around at once. This is probably why I'm about to be extinct.

Anyone else trying the free game or interested? I'm thinking of taking Chris suggestion, buying some credits and starting up a private game.

edit: Imperial 2030. You guys mentioned this before and it sounded awesome, really been meaning to try this.

Edited by Murdoc

I'm listening to the cast now and I'm yelling "PERFECT DARK" at my iPod. I'm pretty sure it was some kind of power up that you could use in multiplayer. If I recall correctly, everyone slowed down when you used it, including you. It just afforded you more accuracy. Maybe someone with the XBLA version can confirm this...

My brain was yelling "F.E.A.R. Multiplayer!!!"

For Multiplayer bullet time games check out Killing Floor on steam

6 player coop zombie shooter that awards great moments such as kill streaks or quick headshots with 3 - 4 seconds of bullet time (called zed time in the game). Different classes also have the ability to extend bullet time by chaining together events like getting more headshots during a bullet time moment.

Neptunes Pride... Wheeling and dealing? I'm not doing this and about to get sandwitched between a goliath and a dude that is flying his entire 52 ship fleet around at once. This is probably why I'm about to be extinct.

Anyone else trying the free game or interested? I'm thinking of taking Chris suggestion, buying some credits and starting up a private game.

edit: Imperial 2030. You guys mentioned this before and it sounded awesome, really been meaning to try this.

I could paypal you like 5 bucks to help cover costs, I've been playing a free game and its a ton of fun. 3 of the players haven't logged in at all so its like we're the rude Colonial aliens that blow up the home bases of the technologically backwards civilizations and strip mine their planets.

Saw this product in a Half Price Bookstore yesterday, was tempted to pick it up...

I would totally play with you.

Im glad oops all bullet time has been implemented in at least every game ever, but we haven't bothered to play them.

"The Percentage of any sort of discreetly named publishing unit...EA Partners has an extremely high rate of success for me personally in terms of my interests."

-Chris Remo-

Im glad oops all bullet time has been implemented in at least every game ever, but we haven't bothered to play them.

Wait, I thought you or Chris brought up "slappers only" in a previous cast. Wasn't that something from Perfect Dark? Or was that Goldeneye you guys were talking about? Don't take any offense, I wasn't yelling at you guys, just my iPod, like I said.

Wait, I thought you or Chris brought up "slappers only" in a previous cast. Wasn't that something from Perfect Dark? Or was that Goldeneye you guys were talking about? Don't take any offense, I wasn't yelling at you guys, just my iPod, like I said.

Goldeneye 64. Weapons style "Slappers only"

+10 hp on everyone.

You should also follow IdleThumbsNews and IdleNewsThumbs