Armchair General

Exams are shit. Discuss

It's 4:20 in the morning and I'm still writing that damn 4000 word paper on the competing views on single event probability proposed by Carnap (1945) and Popper (1959) for that damned analytic philosophy class. I'm so damn tired, but can't let myself sleep for two reasons. First, this thing is due in 11 and a half hours, and if I let myself drift off now I'd probably sleep past when I need to have it in. Second, I've pumped so many fucking energy drinks into my body that I don't think I'm physically capable of sleep for at least another 6-ish hours. I really want to be done and not think of logical formulations for confirming scientific theories, or how we can justify a claim that there is a 20% chance it will rain tomorrow when there is no observable phenomenon "20% rain." Looking around my room I see enough empty cans of red bull, rockstar, monster, full throttle, and beaver buzz (Canadian energy drink, eh?) to give me about 7 heart attacks, yet somehow I'm still writing. Sorry to bitch about all this, but I needed to take a bit of a break (1200 words to go...) and it seemed like venting would be the way to go. Goddamned fucking end of term.

Jesus man. When you finally get your degree, you will have earned that motherfucker! You have my respect fo' shizzle:tup: Good luck:tup::tup::tup:

Well, it's done and submitted. I honestly don't think it's that good, but oh well. It's worth 40% of my mark in that class, but the other 60% of that course I did not lose any marks on whatsoever. Did the math and realized that even if this paper is a C, I still get a B+ in the course. With two As, an A-, and my honours thesis being at least a B+ in order to pass (and my supervisor very confident that I'll get through it fine) I could afford to take the hit without ruining my GPA. I just wanted to sleep so fucking bad. Of course, in the past, papers that I've thought were ok but not as good as they could have been (the category this one is in) did quite well, so maybe I'm just too hard on my own stuff. At any rate, it's done, and so am I. All I have to do is write that last exam and defend my thesis and I'm done. For today, just woke up (it's one in the afternoon, but I didn't sleep until about 7, so I'm still kinda tired) and am going to shower and head over to the girl's to try to forget that I have any responsibilities left.

Yeah, I am in the same boat as Toblix.

Never put much effort in education as I could never find anything that interested me enough to devote my time (I think people thought I was going to become a painter but to be honest that is a lot of effort with very little pay off unless you get lucky). I admire you guys, please don't take this as condescending, I just don't know where that verve comes from (yes, this means I'm envious).

I'm seriously glad I dropped Music Theory before exam week started. I hate all things theoretical about music. It's basically just removing all the emotion and music from of music, and reducing it to abstract systems. It melted my brain.

Alright, time to get off the soapbox.

I'm seriously glad I dropped Music Theory before exam week started. I hate all things theoretical about music. It's basically just removing all the emotion and music from of music, and reducing it to abstract systems. It melted my brain.

Alright, time to get off the soapbox.

I played guitar for a while and I always hated theory, I feel that music is more of an organic thing that you feel rather than something that can be pinned down and described.

Wow, I am the most pretentious dude ever.

Speaking of exams, has anyone taken the GRE recently? In my study book, which is from '08, it says that they're transitioning the math section into fill-in answers, instead of multiple choice. Have they done this yet? If so, can you use a basic calculator, or is it still not allowed?

Dang it. I can't do basic arithmetic for crap.... :getmecoat

Dang it. I can't do basic arithmetic for crap.... :getmecoat

Neither can I, and I'm doing a maths degree...

About to get cracking with my 4th 3000 word essay this week. I don't understand why British universities (Or my ghetto one) makes every piece of late game work in for the start of third term, and have 0 classes in that time, except people who do exams (Not me).

I have to write a research report about Visual pleasure and Aesthetics in video games and animé for tomorrow, this is horrible. I have such fatigue from the relentless onsaught of work in for the same week, it's insane and frustrating.

Sombre, your essay topics are of interest to me. What is your degree in?

I defend my thesis at 1pm tomorrow. That is exactly 12 hours from when I am typing this. I'm nervous as shit, but once it's done, I graduate. I am experiencing a mixture of happiness and absolute dread such as I did not know existed before. At the very least then, I'm able to say that uni is causing me to experience new things.

...sorry for grumbling about music theory for a paragraph. This isn't the place for that.

Anyway, exams! They suck!

I'mdoneI'mdoneI'mdoneI'mdoneI'mdone!

And now, strangely sad. It bums me out a bit that I'm not going to be going back to school in September. Weird.

I'mdoneI'mdoneI'mdoneI'mdoneI'mdone!

And now, strangely sad. It bums me out a bit that I'm not going to be going back to school in September. Weird.

Congratulations!

So I've been out of college for an year now and I kind of miss exams.

Where can I sign up to be a professional student?

So I've been out of college for an year now and I kind of miss exams.

Where can I sign up to be a professional student?

Anywhere that does PHDs.

Quite frankly, I also miss exams. You know all the parameters of what you have to do: take a look at the previous years exams, look at the syllabus, sit for a couple of hours and you're done.

I'm in the last year of my PhD, I'm dreading every second of it. I can't wait to finish it and go work for a business consulting firm.

Only one exam left for me! Can't wait to be done. Next week I'm going to Cali for an internship.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my masters, Thesis due in Sept and I'm doing that on DRM in games..... so I need to do LOADS of gaming research! B)

One stupid paper and even more stupid final, then one legitimate final and I'm done with undergrad. Two days after I graduate Red Dead comes out, then I'm going to leave on a cross-country motorcycle trip. Exactly one week.

Brilliant! Be on the lookout for bats.

My finals are all done, though my ceremony is actually after Red Dead comes out. Excited for a bit of time to play it in though. Then a month or so after that, I'm moving in with my girlfriend of just under 3 years. Not as cool as a cross country motorcycle trip, but I'm pretty excited about it nonetheless.

Was studying for an economics exam and saw a goofy typo in the textbook, where instead of "wage rate" it read "wage rage." So now I know that a firm determines just how angry employees get over their payment, and then hires an appropriate number of workers.

Demolition company?

Be on the lookout for bats

You have no idea how hard this made me laugh as it's almost identical to this:

jGIGYP0rX9A

(the voice is from the director, but for some reason they left it in)

Hahaha! I totally own that movie. Didn't know MST3K did an episode on it. Rad.

Hey Andy, look at it this way...

I was in college from 1996 to the end of 2001, and only came away with three AS levels! Shameful, and I cant even remember most of those years... I'd struggle and just about make it through the year, and then completely implode about a month before exams...

I envy you for managing to get this far with what you do - and dont worry, I'm keeping your details for cheap, 'knock-off' surgery when I get older...

:grin: