F4T C4T

XCOM returns

*Watches trailer*

The hand gestures the main character keeps make seem to be a squad command thing.

The crazy space polygons are cool.

Anyways.

I think the game looks cool, it's not like some dubious awful studio is making it.

My stance on this game is -

If it wasn't called X-com, i would have no problem with it, and would be tremendously stoked about what they're making. In fact, I am still very interested in the game regardless, i'm not going to ignore a potentially great game because i disagree with the title. It's just that calling it X-com carries with it baggage and certain expectations.

Still, here's what i choose to hope for - By this game being successful, X-com is en vogue again, and that opens the door for the "real" X-com sequel we all want. (Which would hopefully still be set in this rebooted mythology, because while X-com was many things, it was not a story. The new setting looks much, much more interesting.)

I'm not so sure about the bigger emphasis on nightly moody environments (the FPS genre features way too many of those it seems to me) and hollywood explosions that this trailer has vs. the suburban quietness of the first one.

The warzone aspect kinda bummed me out. First off, I assume that is late gameplay, once the threat as escalated. Even so, I liked the sinister nature of being in a completely mundane place with hidden aliens lurking around every corner. Now there are sandbag walls, aliens that can summon waist high cover and you're having wild shootouts in the streets. It's really the only thing I've seen that has disappointed me so far.

One thing I really liked about the first two games is the way a level would start out fine, but through the tactical choices made it was very different by the end. You could see where you decided to blow open a wall or take out a light, and where the ground had been scorched by attempted sniping. They probably won't have as much deformation as those games, but I hope that at least the alien structures have variation in where they appear.

I really like the callback to the mind control stuff of the first two games. At least, it seemed like mc and not just alien tech reproduction. That was a fantastic mechanic, I hope it makes it in the new one.

I wish there were more games like x-com, but I don't give a shit anymore about appropriating the name. I think it looks interesting and I will play that thing.

So I've been belting my way through X-COM: Enforcer recently, just to see, well, how one might do an X-COM shooter. It's a thing. By which I mean, it's actually highly enjoyable, but it's solidly just action-action-action where-as I imagine the new one will be all plot-exposition and 1950s. Still, it's raised my interest a tiny bit, though not enough to actually come around on this. Thoughts to follow in RCVG, soon-ish.

wrt the art, I don't just like the geometric aliens, but also the contrast with 50's America. Really nice setting. As for aliens being possessed humans, I'd be very surprised if that's what the final game was like. There's just too much good stuff to use from past X-COM games.

I'm not going to measure it against UFO or Terror from the Deep. I think we know enough by now to understand it's not going to be like them at all. Sure it was disappointing to realise that, but it doen't mean this will suck. Hoping and clutching for similar features is most probably a wild goose chase that will send you through the stages of grief all over again.

There's twenty-two minutes and thirteen seconds of recent XCOM footage to get upset about!

nAmvP4w2ts0

For a small team of scrappy fans doing a Mass Effect Total Conversion, I think they're doing an OK job! (Wait, this is a professional studio? With that map...?)

What's hilarious is that they've turned this into another game with a helicopter conversation sequence. The first time I saw that was in

. The scene was also used in
(twice, I think). It even shows up in Fallout 3's Broken Steel.

And here it is again, boldly reimagined!

I can't wait to explore the emotional costs of fighting an enemy within!!

If you take this game at face value, ignore the X-Com name it looks... Well, conservative, really. I don't think it looks like a bad game, but it doesn't look very inspired so far. The waist-high cover royally placed everywhere is particularly irksome. Severely lacks in soul for me, so far.

I'm actually pretty interested in this game now. I really dig the 60's look (I think I even saw some color there somewhere), and some of the alien tech, such as the Titan, look quite neat as well. It seems that the tactical stuff could actually work and not be completely useless.

Surprisingly looking forward to the new XCOM.

I really like the look of this game, well done artists and directors. Facial animation could be better that or La Noire ruined everything.

Well it finally happened... I'm old and small companies are still catoring to my depressing little nitch fantasies in a tiny corner booth at expos.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70278/syndicate-inspired-cartel-announced-by-paradox

Next on my wishlist, a real diablo sequel (I am in no way dismissing diablo 3, I just want the dark version one day)

Now if Cartel outperforms the new Syndicate... that would make me sooo happy. It's unlikely though, marketing dollars and all.

Cartel seems really good. I want to hear more about it already.

I put my hopes on that as I like Magicka a lot so this has a high possibility to be good, but maybe buggy.

EA and 2k can go to hell, Paradox & co. are giving me the real games I desire to play. :tup:

I've preordered it! Preordering lets you play the game in its current form. I haven't, though, because for some reason I feel as though it might spoil it.

There was quite a bit missing from the build I played last week, though much has been added between then and the Expo. What's there is really polished already though.

Because it's generic sci-fi? Kind of like the original X-com was generic sci-fi?

I am pleased to hear about this (although I wish they had given it a different subtitle - subtitles are meant to differentiate releases, not confuse things by being identical!), but I also agree with Murdoc. the original X-com games ha their own style, even though it was a pastiche on many UFO things from the past. It was slightly retro even for it's time. Nicely downplayed.

This artwork has a big meathead spess mehreen just like all the FPS games. He is being way too awesome. Does he know that he is almost certain to die? Does he know that his stats are rubbish?

Needs more horror, more futility and more sense of sending cannon fodder against a massively superior and unknowable enemy.

I think you are reading way too much into a single screenshot, and i think you have some rose-tinted perceptions about the original X-com.

This isn't an argument i want to have though.

Wow, his arms in the inventory screen are just... entirely inhuman. Where the fuck are his elbows? It looks like his forearms grow directly out of his biceps.

Oh yea, where every bloke looks like Guile. Well, I'm excited! I hope they don't fuck it up. :tup: