F4T C4T

XCOM returns

I have a funny feeling this will be like Fallout 3 where people say: "this isn't going to capture the spirit of its predecessors" but then, despite being fairly different it will be awesome.

Maybe it will combine shooting and strategy in the way the Tom Clancy games do. where the planning and real-time action are divided up. Then again, I've never played X-Com or any of the Tom Clancy games, so I don't know why I'm typing things in this text box. In any event, I have a good feeling about this game. I hope it doesn't get a bad rap just because of the IP involved (like if it's a good game but doesn't feel like X-Com).

I have a funny feeling this will be like Fallout 3 where people say: "this isn't going to capture the spirit of its predecessors" but then, despite being fairly different it will be awesome.

Maybe it will combine shooting and strategy in the way the Tom Clancy games do. where the planning and real-time action are divided up. Then again, I've never played X-Com or any of the Tom Clancy games, so I don't know why I'm typing things in this text box. In any event, I have a good feeling about this game. I hope it doesn't get a bad rap just because of the IP involved (like if it's a good game but doesn't feel like X-Com).

The planning in most Tom Clancy games has disappeared now for the most part, and was never on the scale that an X-Com game had.

The planning in most Tom Clancy games has disappeared now for the most part, and was never on the scale that an X-Com game had.

Well whether they still have it or not doesn't nullify the analogy does it (I'm honestly not sure but I don't think it does)?. Furthermore, it seems safe to assume the planning in this new X-Com game will be on a much smaller scale than that of its predecessors. I think the point is, can they use elements that are characteristic of the spirit if not the specifics of the X-Com series and make a satisfying, if divergent, game. I'm also trying to say that I don't think it should matter that a game is a departure from a series if it's a great game in its own right. I know, it's disappointing to a long time fan of that series...but what are the odds anyone would have made a game that was a lot like the old X-Com games in 2010? Especially when consoles are likely to be the main SKU or at least a strong consideration in terms of the design.

OPTIMISTIC STUFF! BENEFIT OF DOUBT! HATERS BE HATIN'!

The thing is, the story of X-COM is basically Half-Life. There isn't much meat there. There isn't anything there to really merit the revival of the franchise.

As far as the mechanics go, maybe it would be interesting to have a FPS with a world map and semi-random alien events happening all over the planet that the player has to neutralize, investigate, loot and research. The locales can play out like Hitman or something, but a little more randomized. There is something to this.

However, the gameplay itself is unique and what people dug about the game to begin with. There is nothing in the mechanics that couldn't effectively be transfered onto the consoles with a little effort and finesse.

I suspect someone on the money side of the equation had a conniption when the developers couldn't present safe sale figures for games in the similar genre. I hope that if this is the case, they will pull as much of what was interesting into a FPS and at best create some sort of new hybrid genre. Tom Clancy games were clunky and cumbersome and had some convoluted controls that one had to master before doing anything at all. I never could get into those. I hope the new X-COM isn't this.

Well whether they still have it or not doesn't nullify the analogy does it (I'm honestly not sure but I don't think it does)?. Furthermore, it seems safe to assume the planning in this new X-Com game will be on a much smaller scale than that of its predecessors. I think the point is, can they use elements that are characteristic of the spirit if not the specifics of the X-Com series and make a satisfying, if divergent, game. I'm also trying to say that I don't think it should matter that a game is a departure from a series if it's a great game in its own right. I know, it's disappointing to a long time fan of that series...but what are the odds anyone would have made a game that was a lot like the old X-Com games in 2010? Especially when consoles are likely to be the main SKU or at least a strong consideration in terms of the design.

The first part of my comment is lamenting the change Ubi has made to those games, no need to dwell on that.

I think if implemented like a mix of SWAT4 and the pre-mission planning out of the original Rainbow6, 2K could implement some level of the strategic and tactical elements from X-Com.

The thing is, the story of X-COM is basically Half-Life. There isn't much meat there. There isn't anything there to really merit the revival of the franchise.

As far as the mechanics go, maybe it would be interesting to have a FPS with a world map and semi-random alien events happening all over the planet that the player has to neutralize, investigate, loot and research. The locales can play out like Hitman or something, but a little more randomized. There is something to this.

However, the gameplay itself is unique and what people dug about the game to begin with. There is nothing in the mechanics that couldn't effectively be transfered onto the consoles with a little effort and finesse.

I suspect someone on the money side of the equation had a conniption when the developers couldn't present safe sale figures for games in the similar genre. I hope that if this is the case, they will pull as much of what was interesting into a FPS and at best create some sort of new hybrid genre. Tom Clancy games were clunky and cumbersome and had some convoluted controls that one had to master before doing anything at all. I never could get into those. I hope the new X-COM isn't this.

Civilization is TBS, and it does well enough to warrant expansions and sequels. What other numbers can the money people look to?

I do realize there is a world of difference between XCom and Civ.

Civ is a well-established niche franchise developed by a magnificent magical madman who gets to do what he wants. This is an untested team trying to restart an esoteric franchise in a big way. Doesn't pass the safe bet smell test. Safe bets are the only things that get funded nowadays, it seems.

Civ is a well-established niche franchise developed by a magnificent magical madman who gets to do what he wants. This is an untested team trying to restart an esoteric franchise in a big way. Doesn't pass the safe bet smell test. Safe bets are the only things that get funded nowadays, it seems.

I don't know. It gets the Farbs Seal of Approval so that makes it fairly promising in my books http://twitter.com/FarbsMcFarbs/status/12158420566

What you just said:

1. it seems that safe bets are the only things that get funded nowadays (A->B)

2. this doesn't seem like a safe bet (!B)

What is known:

3: this is funded (A)

Sure it's a safe bet. It's a well-known IP and an FPS. Throw a bunch of money at it and you're set. They're not relying on old fans, the IP sells for the sake of being recognized by people who might not have even played the originals.

LFUETdcqMyA

Well, I don't really know what to say.

It's not X-Com and nothing in it reminds me of X-Com, but I know this game will sell a ton just because of the name.

I hope so much that they would change the name, but I know Take 2 will not, because this is a pure money making decision. They have to maximize the income.

I dunno, I think it looks good. Colour me interested.

[edit] Also, way to be accidentally culturally relevant (Oil monsters).

Edited by spindrift

I like the vibe and setting, but so far I have no idea if this is just another shooter or actually in some way similar to the original games. They didn't really foreshadow any other mechanics, besides the "RESEARCH" text thing. For all we know, it's just the camera thing from Bioshock all over again.

I'm pretty sure I would care a lot less about this if it didn't have the X-Com name.

As someone with no connection to the X-Com series (don't worry, they're on my list), I found that trailer to be pretty great in terms of art direction and visual style, and how it invoke classic 50s sci-fi horror.

But looking at the old games, I can definitely see where people are coming from when complaining about the disconnect.

TEAM FORTRESS 2 MEETS BIOSHOCK MEETS DESTROY ALL HUMANS IN (SUBURBAN) HELL.

Looks fine to me.

I've never played XCOM.

Xcom: TFTD is one of my all time favorite games from the DOS age.

It instilled a creepy what if sorta feeling, I think if it was 3d it could be conceptually interesting. I'd love a turn base xcom game with a modern engine and effects. with a good code one could make it so the world renders based on Line of sight. like Ultima Exedus?

I know its not going to be made like I imagine it. but it could be great if done right imo.

The fog of war and hearing gun lazer shots and doors opening and closing when it wasn't ur turn was the best.

The weird 60's "everything is tip-top in this house" visual style works really well, in my opinion. Not everything has to be gray or brown or otherwise depressing as shit.

I haven't played any of the previous X-COM games. How serious are those? I'm really hoping this game will have a clear parody element to it. The only hint of the possible lightness of the game I could found on the trailer was the awesome voice at 1:24, though. I probably will not play this if this is going to be a serious game...

I don't know, but something really looks off.

They world is really clean, it looks fake. But the gun and the alien stuff looks realistic. I'm really getting a weird vibe from this.

If that was the goal, then it's nicely done.

Yeah, something isn't quite right about it. A lot of people mentioned Destroy all Humans and I have to agree that Im getting the same uneasy vibe from it. And I don't mean uneasiness because its well executed in trying to do that, theres just something about it thats off.

I don't mind the setting, or the idea, but seeing the but of "gameplay" kind of felt like skin mod for bioshock. Theres just something really goofy about how the weapons feel in bioshock that I never got used to and the same thing is going on here.