toblix

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

I really want to move on and play 304 and 305, but I'm stuck on 303 and it sucks :(

My being stuck, that is. Not the game. Until now I've had a very enjoyable experience with said game.

Well, I've been progressing superslowly and played up to 1x04, so I have a lot of games to play at some point.

Shame that Telltale doesn't really have anything to offer to those loyal customers who bought the seasons with the full price. Usual discount offers are always something that most already own. Like now you can get all three seasons for the price of one.

Of course I should propably question why I bought the seasons on day one when I'm still in the middle of the first season and I got ToMI also on the to-do list. :blink:

Played the first act and a bit of the finale.

Sal just bit it, but now I have complete control over Maxthulu.

Jake Rodkin as director? Like, not even a co-director? And on the finale? Fucking congratulations, man. Am I right in assuming that the giant box of "Oops, Diabetes!" brand cereal is a progression of the "Oops, All Sidequests!" brand? I think that had me laughing harder than anything else had in a while.

To whomever said that this was the funniest one yet, you may be right. It is also, however, the most referential one yet. Between using bits of Peepers' dialogue from the first season and all the talk about Maim-trons, Abe, and Sybil, not to mention callbacks and even USE of things from Hit the Road, it really does seem like in order to get the most out of the jokes this time around you'd need to know what the hell happened before. Not necessarily a con, but when the rest of the season has been so good about not requiring prior knowledge of Sam and Max, it feels like a pity.

That said, I'm enjoying the game immensely and look forward to completing it, probably tonight.

I really want to move on and play 304 and 305, but I'm stuck on 303 and it sucks :(

My being stuck, that is. Not the game. Until now I've had a very enjoyable experience with said game.

if you're really really stuck, I'd suggest uhs-hints. Someone linked them on the forums a while ago, and I think they do a pretty good job at modularizing the spoilers so you don't ruin the game.

Between using bits of Peepers' dialogue from the first season

Hey that's newly recorded dialog!

To whomever said that this was the funniest one yet, you may be right. It is also, however, the most referential one yet. Between using bits of Peepers' dialogue from the first season and all the talk about Maim-trons, Abe, and Sybil, not to mention callbacks and even USE of things from Hit the Road, it really does seem like in order to get the most out of the jokes this time around you'd need to know what the hell happened before. Not necessarily a con, but when the rest of the season has been so good about not requiring prior knowledge of Sam and Max, it feels like a pity.

While there's a bunch I'm sure I didn't get, it seemed like it's really easy to pick up on all that stuff too (broadly speaking). I've only played 101, seen pictures of season 2, and played season 3, but I recognized all the characters from at the very least pictures, and many times from dialog from earlier in the season. And thanks to the way the dialog was written, I understood some of the references back to Hit the Road.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just really impressed that they were able to write it (and the season) in such a way that it's apparent for someone who hasn't played the referenced games, that there are references being made.

Also, congrats Jake great work! And Bandanaman too, I saw his name in the credits.

Just beat it. Bravo. Without question the best series yet.

1) I got all those location photos for the memory book/astral projector but then only ended using skunkape's ship, then the cloning center. Was there stuff going on in all the other locations or would it just have told me, there isn't a sam clone there?

2) omg could you tug the heart string any harder making me sit all the way through the credits with the mopey/dispirited sam letting crime run rampant in the city

Wait a minute, Jake co-directed Lair of the Leviathan and directed The City That Dares Not Sleep. I'm noticing a disturbing fixation with the internals of large creatures.

Wait a minute, Jake co-directed Lair of the Leviathan and directed The City That Dares Not Sleep. I'm noticing a disturbing fixation with the internals of large creatures.

Well, you know Jake..

big_bird_video_games.gif

I'm liking the episode so far. More on that later.

:clap:

What a great ending to a great season of video games! Congratulations on directing Video Games! Fantastic work.

I wasn't sure what to think of Sam & Max Season 3 when it was announced, but seeing as these games keep getting better and better all the time, I'm now really looking forward to the next season 4, which I'm sure Jake or Famous will soon confirm here.

Dude, the Sam & Max Bundle is now called the "COMPLETE Collection".... Doesn't this pretty much mean the series is over?;(

...No, I really doubt it. It just means "here is everything you can get for now."

I mean, maybe you're right, but what seems much more likely to me is: they'll take a break from S&M for BttF, JP, and whatever else they have lined up (that isn't poker!).

Also, I finished the episode last night. It was great! Except for one thing, which is really more of a personal problem: something always feels wrong to me when

"another" [insert character here] replaces the original and the cast acts as if nothing has happened

. It fits the world of Sam and Max more than most times it's used, but it still bugs me. One of those things that just crawls under my skin and won't get out.

I finished it too and I am not entirely certain I understand where

the other Max came from.

I really love it when they take abstract shit and represent it metaphorically, such as

Max's insides and inventory and all that

, or in the Tales of Monkey Island, the thief's secret as a box on a table. It is The Thing that sets the Telltale games apart from other adventure game traditions. I am indeed looking forward to seeing how this theme will intersect with Back to the Future. Or Jurassic Park for that matter.

Also, I hope the next thing they do is an ORIGINAL PROPERTY, WTF, ARGHGHGHG. :( :( :(

I finished it too and I am not entirely certain I understand where

the other Max came from.

I thought

other Max is from 204, Chariots of the Dogs? He uses the same elevator time machine and I remember there was one paradox where Sam and Max met copies of themselves.

Just started up the last game, and fiddling with the graphics setting, I noticed these two things:

pL73H.png

I don't know if they've been in all the S03 games or just this, but they're the most ridiculous GUI elements I've ever seen, possible. Jake, what the hell?

I think they all did that, maybe? It is called Interface for interface's sake, it is a design movement.

That doesn't hold much water. :deranged:

Maybe but I like the idea of that plot with

a duplicate Sam and Max duo

happening through the entirety of season 3 and then just getting resolved unexpectedly.

I did indeed finish it Wednesday night, but was in the car and internetless for 16 hours yesterday (driving from Calgary to Seattle is looooong) so I couldn't say anything. After all of this, The Tomb of Sammun Mak is still my favorite, but this last episode was certainly a cut above most others. Overall, this season is, in my opinion, the best thing that Telltale has done by far. I'm not sure what else I can say, really. Most of what I said on Tuesday holds, so just look at that for a quick evaluation. So good though. People need to play this.

2 quick things:

1. At the Telltale panel today, I thought for a bit that they were announcing Puzzle Agent episode 2 and was so happy, but then it was just a trailer for the iPhone version of episode 1. Boo.

2. When

Sam was doing his sad walk through the credits

, that coworker who insists that she watches the playing of Sam and Max actually cried. It really got to her. Well done, everyone involved with that.

Holy crap, the

shader on the inside of the car ceiling thing in the scene where they've just been eaten and exit into the kitchen

is incredible!

I just finished the last episode of the current season and couldn't be happier. The Devil's Playhouse has definitely been my favorite season so far (I especially enjoyed the Narrator, and the credits for this episode were just spectacular), and I got stuck less on this episode than in any of the other Telltale Sam and Max stuff so far. I don't know if that means others thought the puzzles were too simple or what, but I was much less frustrated while still having several "A-ha!" moments. Kudos to Jake, Famous and everyone else at Telltale Games.

Also, it's great to see Video Games Rodkin moving into more and more prominent spots during the credits. Hooraaaay for youuuuuuuu!

2. When

Sam was doing his sad walk through the credits

, that coworker who insists that she watches the playing of Sam and Max actually cried. It really got to her. Well done, everyone involved with that.

One of the things that the series has done really well - across all seasons - has been to convey a sense of implicit companionship between Sam and Max. When your main characters clearly have little regard for the well-being of the people around them, you start to wonder who they *do* regard as important, and the answer is themselves, and each other. Other little hints, such as

seeing senile Sam living with Max in the future

and

seeing Sam and Max as kids in the time-traveling episode

also reinforce the sense of some kind of bond. This sense culminated in this episode, which made the scene you mentioned more poignant than I would have expected from a Sam & Max game.

One of the things that the series has done really well - across all seasons - has been to convey a sense of implicit companionship between Sam and Max. When your main characters clearly have little regard for the well-being of the people around them, you start to wonder who they *do* regard as important, and the answer is themselves, and each other. Other little hints, such as

seeing senile Sam living with Max in the future

and

seeing Sam and Max as kids in the time-traveling episode

also reinforce the sense of some kind of bond. This sense culminated in this episode, which made the scene you mentioned more poignant than I would have expected from a Sam & Max game.

This is very true, but

that's exactly what makes it hard for me to swallow the "other-Max" pill

. Just one of those pet peeves of mine, I guess. Will I ever get over it? Who knows! ):