toblix

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

At the last reel right now.

Timing based puzzles with constantly repeated dialogue need to die and never come back. This is worse than LeChuck punching me around the ship.

Did the last part actually require any timing at all? I didn't have any problem with it once I realized what I had to do. I mean

yeah, there are two different places Max can stand and he can't stay in one forever, but for the most part it doesn't actually matter where he is, does it?

The scene certainly was nowhere near that LeChuck thing in terms of frustration.

Yeah the last part has timing. If you even just wait

it will drop Sam into the vat of ants

Anyways my problem was that I couldn't see

the torch

, which basically led to repetition to the same lines of dialogue about 20 times.

Yeah the last part has timing. If you even just wait

it will drop Sam into the vat of ants

Anyways my problem was that I couldn't see

the torch

, which basically led to repetition to the same lines of dialogue about 20 times.

Heh, I did the same exact thing. "WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS STUFF I HAVE oh there's a thing."

Does anybody know how to close the Mac version if you can't get to the main menu? I was in the Tomb asking about the curses and selected

Benny's curse

which was grayed out (although I'm pretty sure I hadn't talked about that before) and it brought up a new speech menu with no items and no way to go back. CMD+Tab and other usual stuff didn't work and I was forced to slam my keyboard until it activated Voiceover and I got sent back to the desktop.

I don't understand why I can't go to the main menu anymore during cutscenes or speech sections. They could have just have left out the save/load part.

Does cmd-Q not work? :( What.

Does cmd-Q not work? :( What.

Yes. :frusty:

Sorry, I wasn't even aware of that shortcut and I guess I didn't accidentally hit it either while I was bashing the keyboard. Still, it would be nice to be able to cmd+tab to other windows (say, when you have been stuck for two hours, and would like to take a peek at the walkthrough). Not sure how difficult that would be to implement, though.

PS. It would also be nice if the game automatically lowered your the resolution setting according to your screen res. 1920 on 1440 looks a bit strange. I don't know if this problem exists in Windows version as well.

Maybe cmd-M to minimise would work?

Also Jake, make someone add steamcloud support please :P I play at work but want to continue at home sometimes

As alluded to, I also

didn't see that the torch could be interacted with. This was in part because it was so close to the star and I didn't figure there'd be two interactable things so close to each other.

I really wish there had been more to flag it, as it's one of the only complaints I have with the game (aside from controls, which I'm unfortunately starting to accept will just irritate me and feel slightly broken in every Telltale game from now on) and the fact that it's in the final puzzle taints the experience a little.

I missed that interact-able item in the final scene, too! I went through Max's "trick" sequence like 7 times before I found it. It really needed to be called attention to. Other than that, loved this episode.

Though I did notice a bug: After I read the hieroglyphics on the gate, the mouth opened and Papierwiete said his spiel. I used

the can

, the mouth - suddenly closed - opened again, Papierwiete said his spiel again, and then I used the item again and this time it continued on with the game. Odd.

Also, did anyone else deactivate the

Sexo Rejexo Hex

before finishing Reel 3? I did, and suddenly it reactivated itself during the cutscene seconds before I needed it (

to send Baby AH flying

.) Not a bug, just a continuity gaff.

Also, did anyone else deactivate the

Sexo Rejexo Hex

before finishing Reel 3? I did, and suddenly it reactivated itself during the cutscene seconds before I needed it (

to send Baby AH flying

.) Not a bug, just a continuity gaff.

Yeah, I did too. They did fix continuity though.

Before talking to baby Amelia, Sam and the Moleman exchange a look, and the moleman wiggles his hands around a bit, thus re-cursing Sam.

It's subtle, but it's there.

All the completely new locations, the quality of the puzzles, and the reel-based structure made this the finest Sam & Max game yet. I'm still getting that weird DirectX error when I start the game for the first time, though. I have to disable desktop composition, start the game, set it to windowed mode (my new favorite mode for all games), and then I can play it with Aero on, no problem. Also, the silent title screens give me the creeps.

But all this is so great. Telltale has come so far since the first Bone game it's incredible. I hope they keep experimenting with stuff.

I don't know why they dont support cmd-tab on the Mac version. You can cmd-f to toffle full screen/windowed, but it might be annoying. Not sure.

Bought the Steam Play Pack (ToMI and Devil's Playhouse) and whilst I'm clearly stupid as fuck (WHY WON'T HE EAT THE FOOD SO I CAN TALK TO HIM?) the humour is pretty astounding. I don't think I've ever laughed this hard at a Video game before, ever.

Annoyed that Steam Play Pack 2 came out like a day later with Season 2 of SaM for just £15 extra. To buy the season on its own is £21. Damn you Jake. Damn you.

Edit: Well that was a surprisingly simple and logical puzzle.

Edited by SpeedyDesiato

I was just reminded about this by the hint suggestions thread, but has anybody noticed that Max's auto-hints are way more likely to occur immediately after scripted events? It's like there's a standard timeout, but it doesn't get paused or reset when you trigger an important scene so by the time you're out he immediately tells you what to do next.

I'll have to move the slider down to zero for future episodes.

I went back and played some of Season 1, and it's really frustrating. I was thinking of picking up Season 2, but I don't know if I should.

I loved Tales of Monkey Island, and Devil's Playhouse so far seems to be great, but for some reason Season 1 makes me want to break my DVD. It's hard to figure out what exactly bugs me about it, but the whole thing seems forced. Like there are way too many things to interact with that have no purpose beyond initiating some corny dialogue sequence.

Should I grab Season 2?

Also, I think I've come to the realization that I don't really like Sam. Maybe it's the dragnet impersonation, or the fact he's a giant monster. I wonder if he'd be more relateable if he were more proportional to a dog rather than a theme park employee. My memory may be failing me, but I remember him as the size of a short stocky dude in the old games.

Season 1 has always been a quaint curiosity; some cool peeps trying to invent a new format. Worthy of supporting, but all kinds of cringeworthy. Season 2 was much better, leaps and bounds ahead of season 1, but still somewhat weird around the edges. Telltale really came into its own around Wallace and Gromit. All the games since have been quite awesome, without reservations.

ANYONE WHO HAS PLAYED SEASON 3 AND WANTS TO CHECK OUT EARLIER ONES, DON'T EXPECT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWESOME.

hmmm. But I really like the COPS, and the locations seem interesting.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Season 1 and 10 being Devil's Playhouse, how would you rate Season 2?

I adored Season One at the time, but I have to admit, with Telltale getting better with literally almost every new season they do (Sam and Max or otherwise (controls aside D:)), I wonder if I could go back and play it without cringing a bit.

I remember thinking at the time that Season Two was leaps and bounds better than Season One. And now Season THREE is doing the same thing for me all over again! So... yeah.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Season 1 and 10 being Devil's Playhouse, how would you rate Season 2?

6 :tup:

I adored Season One at the time, but I have to admit, with Telltale getting better with literally almost every new season they do (Sam and Max or otherwise (controls aside D:)), I wonder if I could go back and play it without cringing a bit.

As I mentioned earlier, a couple of weeks ago I finished doing just that. Every episode, at a rate of about 1 each night I had some free gaming time. I think if you played them when they first came out, it's totally worth revisiting them. If someone hadn't played them, and hasn't played anything newer, it would still be worth it. (I have a coworker doing this right now. Hasn't played an adventure game since Curse of MI). If someone has played the newer Telltale games, I'm less sure it's a good idea. It may be just too much of a leap backwards at this point.

6 :tup:

Beat me to it. Consider me another vote for a 6.

Whoa there, 7.5 is stretching it! It's good, but really? I'd say 7.0 at most.

Why judge the whole season as one unit when the quality of episodes varies so strongly? If you only look at the latter half of both earlier seasons they are very good, though the new one seems to be better still.

Hmm, I think you've convinced me. But then I realized I still have a pile of games I should be completing before buying anything else.