toblix

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

So, I understand this is coming out this week. I've really been missing these games. Does Telltale alternate between entire seasons of Monkey Island and Sam & Max? Also, anyone know if Jake is working on these games now (and not the next Monkey Islands)? I seem to remember him mentioning something in the podcast, but I'm too lazy to listen to all the episodes again to find out.

Hello! I am not working full time on Sam & Max; my time is split between a bunch of projects at the moment. I did do the opening title sequence, and most of the artwork for the menu, dialog and inventory interfaces. If I'm more directly involved with the games it will be later in the season. And yeah it comes out on .... Thursday?

I will play it Monday and be very happy. Can't wait. Seems like not too long ago MI was ending and this was just a teaser. I love having this steady drip-feed of awesome adventure games.

Telltale is the LucasArts of video games. This is going to be awesome. In the meantime, Bioshock 2 (even though the podcast spoiled all the train 'splodin, corridor twilightin' highlights for me).

What's the deal with this Sam and Max? would you guys say it's some kind of video game?

Can anyone vouch for the framerate on the PC or PS3 versions of the new games? I bought season 1 on the Wii and it was a little tough to play it stuttered so often, as enjoyable as it was otherwise, and I'm not usually very snobbish about that stuff.

Hello! I am not working full time on Sam & Max; my time is split between a bunch of projects at the moment. I did do the opening title sequence, and most of the artwork for the menu, dialog and inventory interfaces. If I'm more directly involved with the games it will be later in the season. And yeah it comes out on .... Thursday?

Oh, I wondered why the opening title sequence, and most of the artwork for the menu, dialog and inventory interfaces sucked.

I kid :P I haven't played them yet. Heck, I haven't played a S&M game since Season 1. They hurt my head too much x_x

What's the deal with this Sam and Max? would you guys say it's some kind of video game?

Can anyone vouch for the framerate on the PC or PS3 versions of the new games? I bought season 1 on the Wii and it was a little tough to play it stuttered so often, as enjoyable as it was otherwise, and I'm not usually very snobbish about that stuff.

I'll vouch for it. The Wii versions were inferior. PC is the best format though.

Aww :(

Anyways, looking forward to the game!

Also, Jake, since you're not doing web stuff anymore, what *are* you doing? I know you co-directed "Lair of the Leviathan" and "Rise of the Pirate God"...are you essentially directing stuff now/handling interface and menus or what? (Just curious, I suppose.)

While a good PC (or Mac) will always be able to run the game at the highest res, etc, the PS3 port of the Telltale engine is the best console port that exists. Framerate is good and none of the rendering stuff was nerfed. I'm annoyed that our 360 ports of Wallace & Gromit have framerate issues (and the Wii is the Wii), but the PS3 one looks nice. There will be a PSN (and PC, Mac) demo for those who want to make sure.

I think Mr. Jake should do UI and opening title sequence for ALL games. I mean not just Telltale games.

3 more days! I'm giddy.

Speaking of which, I just finished S&M 105. I finished other ones before, but somehow forgot about the fifth. Anyway I have just one question: What the heck. How did you manage to put an internet(cyborg) wizard in a game a rough year before it becoming to the Thumbs joke corner?

Also I love the fact that Jake is getting all the credits for games he (partly) makes.:tup:

Also I love the fact that Jake is getting all the credits for games he (partly) makes.:tup:

Does he really? I think most people are aware that he's mostly done UI stuff on the earlier games, and then "advanced" to full-on directing in the later Monkey Islands. He's obviously good at what he does though, as most times, whenever I mention some specific cool thing in one of the games, it turns out he did it. The ship-transition and the silent intro are two that come to mind. But of course, he also has to serve as the channel for the more general Telltale praise as well.

While a good PC (or Mac) will always be able to run the game at the highest res, etc, the PS3 port of the Telltale engine is the best console port that exists. Framerate is good and none of the rendering stuff was nerfed. I'm annoyed that our 360 ports of Wallace & Gromit have framerate issues (and the Wii is the Wii), but the PS3 one looks nice. There will be a PSN (and PC, Mac) demo for those who want to make sure.

Haters gonna hate.

Would like to mention - the Sam and Max iPad almost made me want to buy an iPad. Unfortunately, it's out here yet, and I realised how ridiculous the iPad pricing was anyway.

Haters gonna hate.

Speaking for myself personally here, and not Telltale obviously.

I've played plenty of Wii, and worked on a lot of games released for it. The interface is almost great for point and click, but its still an IR pointer. The screen resolution is fine but it is objectively lower than other platforms. WiiWare games max out at 40 megs which means your life is sad if you want to make a game with voiced characters, etc. The Wii is an easy to use system for a lot of people, and it is slightly refreshing in that it doesn't demand life-ruining amounts of time to build art assets for it, but I wish it had fewer limitations. I'm obviously familiar with (and enjoy) building content with limitations, working at a company which spends half to 2/3 of each year putting out a game a month, but for me personally, the Wii is a little too constrictive.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see The Devil's Playhouse show up on it at some point, after the season is over. Telltale has gotten reasonably adept at porting a game's asset and codebase over to other platforms.

Wow, I just started it this evening. It's roughly 100 times better than the previous seasons. They seem to have addressed just about everything that irked me about the previous games. It feels like a real, gritty Sam & Max experience now, and not, as this episode actually puts it, daycare. Also, the new game mechanics with Max are fantastic, and feel fresh. A+

Haters gonna hate.

Ha, that ain't hate. Its honesty. Man's got a brawl avatar for the sake of pete. I say this as a Wii owner myself.

So Jake, do you have anything to do with THIS?

I'm so wantin' that stuff, shame I don't have a useable steam client at the moment. I made the mistake of trying to enable the interface beta in crossover and never recovered, so I deleted everything and decided to just wait for the mac client.

So, can I buy the game from steam on the web and expect it to work on Mac and PC like all of VALVe's games?

looks like the demo for episode 1 is up on PSN now. I'm going to check it out and I'll buy if it runs well. Or should I try to play season 2 first?

Or should I try to play season 2 first?

For what it's worth, I thought Season Two was one of the top games of that year - a year which included, I think, The Orange Box and Braid. It starts out only OK, but then suddenly takes a small leap in quality on Episode 3, and then hits it out of the ballpark on Episode 4. From what little I've played of Season Three, you don't need to play it, but it's worth picking up at some point.

Ordered in the face, waiting on Steam. :tup:

The game looks strikingly better from a brief gameplay video I saw earlier, that's for sure. Mostly lighting, but it makes such a difference to atmosphere.

I don't know who is telltales marketing department(1-2 people?) or the relationship with steam is, but just needed to comment that the "advertisment" images they have on Steam are really great. I noticed it a few weeks ago and was like 'Whoa what is this?" and it turning out to be Sam and Max is pretty awesome.

I just want that bunny hat, but I'm not a follower of the game enough to purchase. Unless i can purchase it, get the hat, and give it as a gift; is that possible?

Edited by Murdoc

Not to mention the TF2 items related to Sam and Max... I have to admit I'm tempted to buy season 3 because of them.

Send the hat to me :D

The gratuitous film grain is great and with the new dialog thing it feels like I'm playing Mass Effect 3! When can we expect to see the awkward sex scene?