Scrobbs

GTA IV

Yeh, yeh, I know, old game.

Played TBoGT around a friend's and enjoyed it immensely, so I went and bought it.

So anyway, I just whacked Dwayne, felt a bit guilty about it. Then I went to the internet cafe, and saw an email from him, saying that he liked me and we should hook up. Man, I felt bad. I let that punk Playboy X live as well. He's such a douche.

Still - not often a game makes me feel guilty/a little bit like I've missed out on something. Dwayne seemed like he might have been pretty cool.

Anyway... a game must be written well to make me feel that eh?

I just picked the game up again after stopping a few hours after the part you described. One thing I've noticed that I didn't before is the rapid characterization of Niko. He goes from being a sort of repentant, very reluctantly violent except in the case of protecting his family guy, to casually agreeing to murders without hesitation. There never seemed to be a dramatic shift that would have triggered this. Even the whole thing with Vlad seemed slightly justifiable to him, but after that it's just a series of casual murders.

Also, how's the DLC? Did Lost and the Damned make the motorcycles any easier to control? Hot scoops mentioned on the latest cast that there was a type of coop thing as well.

I just picked the game up again after stopping a few hours after the part you described. One thing I've noticed that I didn't before is the rapid characterization of Niko. He goes from being a sort of repentant, very reluctantly violent except in the case of protecting his family guy, to casually agreeing to murders without hesitation. There never seemed to be a dramatic shift that would have triggered this. Even the whole thing with Vlad seemed slightly justifiable to him, but after that it's just a series of casual murders.

Also, how's the DLC? Did Lost and the Damned make the motorcycles any easier to control? Hot scoops mentioned on the latest cast that there was a type of coop thing as well.

I've gone back to start Gta4 again and was acutally kind of surprised to feel all the little changes Lost and the Damned made. So yeah, the motorcycles are a lot better, the little additions to gameplay and a few changes on the render/post fx and character creation(how they make their models) were all for the better in Lost.

Lost is a really interesting story with a lot of great characters, but I kind of came off of it wanting it to be it's own full length GTA, which is why I haven't picked up Gay Tony; as it stands Lost and the Damned was awesome, but I wanted more time with it.

Agreed about Nicos shift, I mean I love the start of GTA4(Since I've picked it up again) trying not to go all out kill and steal cards, the whole immigrant trying to make it would make an awesome full game. But there is a definite shift between that and the GTA we know, it isn't so much a slow progression, you kill one person and then its full out rampant hitman for hire there on out. Even if the cut scenes and dialog tell a different story; which I guess is the disconnect Chris was always mentioning.

Yeh, yeh, I know, old game.

Played TBoGT around a friend's and enjoyed it immensely, so I went and bought it.

So anyway, I just whacked Dwayne, felt a bit guilty about it. Then I went to the internet cafe, and saw an email from him, saying that he liked me and we should hook up. Man, I felt bad. I let that punk Playboy X live as well. He's such a douche.

Still - not often a game makes me feel guilty/a little bit like I've missed out on something. Dwayne seemed like he might have been pretty cool.

You bastard! You killed Dwayne!

Yup, you just have to ignore the fact that he (i.e. you) likes killing people. Or you could look at it as him just trying to get things straightened out in his life. He is being motivated by revenge. Maybe once he gets it he'll be able to put it all behind him? (It does get better.)

You bastard! You killed Dwayne!

To be fair,

Dwayne really just wastes that life given to him. I let him live because he reminded me of Cutty from the wire, only Cutty used his life with meaning, but Dwayne just goes on mopping around and not doing anything, so I really should have put him out of his misery

Yup, you just have to ignore the fact that he (i.e. you) likes killing people. Or you could look at it as him just trying to get things straightened out in his life. He is being motivated by revenge. Maybe once he gets it he'll be able to put it all behind him? (It does get better.)

Honestly I really love Niko, and I know this isn't really Rockstar's style but thought it would be awesome to continue him as the main character or a character in this generation of games. So if we do have GTA4: San Andreas, Vice City or whatever it's a Niko story.

So depressed people would be better off dead?

I killed Playboy X and never regretted it.

I killed Playboy X simply for his penthouse... yeah I'm a bad person.

Hm. I've never reallly noticed that aspect - jsut kind of assumed that he'd been damaged by the war, and was a bit of a gangster in the Old Country...he came to the US to make a fresh start, but his cousin was a bit shady himself.

Just when he thought he was out...they pulled him back in. :getmecoat

So depressed people would be better off dead?

Nah, it's just I had kind have this hope he'd move on in some way; either accept the criminal life style or find something else to give him happiness. Have a sad sack of shit as friend in a video game that you couldn't help get out of his rut was just sad to me; I'd probably would have rather had the annoying douche around.

I killed Playboy X because he was a douche... and I wanted his penthouse too. The balcony is a great place to take down police choppers from.

I could be mistaken that there's no way to actually BUY any cars in the game? I find myself taking the taxi a lot more this time around, mostly because I get so tired of trying to shake the police, but also I like the idea of an attempt at rehabilitation for Niko.

For the DLC, I presume none of the changes carry over to the main game? Do they get the full city to roam around in? If so I might get the DLC and play through that instead.

I wish there was a way to supplement the radio with your own stuff.

I wish you could buy cars but there are obvious reasons for not doing so.

You can go online and look at catalogs of car sales and call the phone numbers that are listed but you don't get through to someone.

It's be awesome if you could call them and have a discussion about the car, arrange an appointment to buy the car (Like that one mission) and then just steal it when you test drive it.

I've played through a couple times but the first time I killed Dwayne, he just annoyed me.

I could be mistaken that there's no way to actually BUY any cars in the game? I find myself taking the taxi a lot more this time around, mostly because I get so tired of trying to shake the police, but also I like the idea of an attempt at rehabilitation for Niko.

For the DLC, I presume none of the changes carry over to the main game? Do they get the full city to roam around in? If so I might get the DLC and play through that instead.

I wish there was a way to supplement the radio with your own stuff.

Dude! 1 star takes no effort. Especially if you smash your way into the 'Grotti' Comet dealership (next to perseus clothing).

In TBoGT, you get the whole city, it's another story arc... You remember the bank job with Packie (3 leaf clover)? At the start of the cut scene, there's 2 civilians who are plotting a daring move...that's where you start.

As for your own music, press xbox button, right one menu, select the option underneath the music controls to browse external shared music (pc or connected hard drive) and you get all your own music. There's no way I would have played it so much otherwise, the radio got tedious on the first day.

The radio is actually one of the things I love most about GTA games, GTA 4 & DLC included. I think their musical selection is always impeccable when it comes to describing a time and place. And they put significant new additions with both TLaD and TBoGT ("I change shapes just to hide who i am but i'm still i'm still an animal!") but eh, music is subjective.

I also personally thought that the DLC got better and better. I liked TLaD more than Nico's story and I liked TBoGT more than Johnny's story. It helps if you watch that show Sons of Anarchy when playing Lost and Damed though... really get into the biker gang - excuse me, motorcycle club - attitude.

Ballad of Gay Tony brought a bit of the extremism from previous GTAs back, but it's still pretty grounded in reality. You just have some more colorful characters (along the lines of Brucie) and... a solid gold heli.

btw I killed Playboy X. Dude had bad taste in interior decorating but I liked how Dwayne always understood when I had to call him to cancel man-dates.

Yeah, I've been saying that too. I think Lost and Damned handled this better (haven't played much of Gay Tony yet).

Nah, it's just I had kind have this hope he'd move on in some way; either accept the criminal life style or find something else to give him happiness. Have a sad sack of shit as friend in a video game that you couldn't help get out of his rut was just sad to me; I'd probably would have rather had the annoying douche around.

If only you'd helped him by killing Playboy X - he starts turning his life around after that. But you'd never know! :-P

If only you'd helped him by killing Playboy X - he starts turning his life around after that. But you'd never know! :-P

Sorry what? Was there a third option I missed? It's been awhile so I don't remember how the situation went down, but Playboy died, but Dwayne kept moping around.

Yeah, it's pretty rough, but I still liked Dwayne to some degree, which I couldn't say for Playboy. I guess I hoped Dwayne might someday find happiness, whereas I doubted Playboy would ever become less annoying.

Bought gay tony and played it for a few hours and never got the urge to pick it up again. Maybe it's because I left on a bad note, like after one of those really boring Virtua Cop missions. I feel like expansion packs should bring more than just a new story and guns, while gay tony just felt like more of the same.

Or maybe i was angry that the game wouldnt let me get drunk at tonys bar and head outside. walking up the stairs leading to the exit brought instantaneous sobriety.

Anyone play the expansions on pc yet? Was curious to see if they're worth it and actually work decently.

Edit: I said fuck it and started grabbing it off Steam.

Edited by Brannigan

Or maybe i was angry that the game wouldnt let me get drunk at tonys bar and head outside. walking up the stairs leading to the exit brought instantaneous sobriety.

There's some great fun, but it's strictly for people who have mastered GTA/find it too easy (IMO). You should keep going though, it's more "extreeeme" and fun than the other games (main story and LaD).

There was a new patch released today or yesterday right? They said they'd improved framerates on the PC. I have a decent rig (i870 5870) and it ran choppy in places... can anyone confirm improved

Considering how it ran on 360 and how it ran on my rig there must be room for a few more frames in there.