Sign in to follow this  
Sombre

I need help identifying a game

It's a PlayStation game that was featured on a demo disc at some point that seemed like a Japanese-port, in fact, I distinctly remember hearing a crazy angry Japanese voice yelling at you if you did anything wrong. Anyways, you moved a rod through a huge amount of obstacles and you couldn't touch the sides - kind of like a platformer Operation game.

Irritating Stick

2D DOS puzzle-platformer game, You were some kind of red circle with legs. It was a puzzle game and you could do things like push stones to make staircases and there were jets that could boost you up into the air. I only played the shareware version but in the full game you got a jetpack I think. The levels were always one screen that you had to manuever around. Sorry for being vague but it was a long time ago.

Haha, awesome, I think I only knew it as "Ira-Ira Bo" as that's what it was called on the disc, and it definitely was not the North-American release as I remember the screaming Japanese. And it's by Jaleco? Now we know it's going to be quality...

...based on the Japanese game show, which in turn was based on a carnival game, where the player tries to maneuver a Metal rod through a metal maze without touching the sides or else they would get shocked. The player would also experience hearing a loud announcer screaming to confuse them while trying to escape the maze.

Game concept WIN.

It was a one-screen-per-level-type of game (like Donkey Kong). It takes place on a steel framework (the steel is red I think) of an unfinished building. You are playing a construction worker who hops around on a compressed air rivet hammer. Object of the game is to clench all rivets (I recall them beeing white) spread along the steel stringers while avoiding a bad guy(?) and maybe obstacles (can't remember).

Hey, Quanta! I think I've found it. It's Hard Hat Mack!

I feel lame for forgetting this already, but what is the name of that flash (and now itouch) game where you run and jump along the building tops. I just can't seem to spell it right for google to know what i'm talking about. Calibant? Cabilant?

Aagh! I remember a hospital management sim game from the late 90's I think. It had all kinds of weird diseases like people with inflated heads and lots of people who thought they were Elvis.

How could you forget it was theme hospital, I play it at least once a year, lol.

Maybe Im just sad that way.

I mentioned this in another thread, but can someone identify this boxing game from before 1989 where you play either a black guy, a white guy, or a kangaroo? I think it's colors were CGA only and it may have been for the Commodore first, but I'm not sure. I played it on my dad's chunky work laptop maybe 1988.

Shit, that's it! Thank you so much!

I never even realized it was a Sierra game either. It appears it was much older as well, developed in 1984.

I feel lame for forgetting this already, but what is the name of that flash (and now itouch) game where you run and jump along the building tops. I just can't seem to spell it right for google to know what i'm talking about. Calibant? Cabilant?

canabalt

THAT was the game that finally taught me how to finesse an analog stick to half and quarter tilt angles for more subtle controls! It just beats it into your brain more so than a lot of shooters and stuff, where your amount of control will definitely go up if you finesse it, but you can get away with a surprising amount of "d-pad" style clickity usage due to auto-aim, weapons with a high rate of fire, and other weird factors.

I can vaguely recall being able to do this easily on an N64 controller because the stick had really meaty resistance, but the dualshock felt WRONG for the longest time before Irritating Stick set me straight.

Hearing people jerk-tap analog sticks over and over in the same direction to simulate tilting it halfway annoys me sometimes... does anyone else get that?

So maybe this section of the internet has some idea. (It's entirely possible I went into a coma for 5 months and dreamed this, as no-one has any idea yet.)

MMO

Developed/Published by Sierra or a parent company

You developed a base with worker vehicles and such in a 3d strategy view

You could then go and raid other peoples bases in a first-person view.

I seem to remember hoverboards?

. . .That's all I can really give you. Again, I may be crazy.

I borrowed a game off my friend many years ago. It was a Civ type game but scifi. There were several different races with different attributes. Each zone on the planet was layed out in a grid. people, ships, planes etc were represented by icons (the people by ones like you would find on a toilet). It was very very colourful.

i didn't even like the game and gave up when i figured out that the computer was cheating atrociously even on the lower diffficulty levels, but i still would love to know the name of it! Ah, nostalgia making fools of us all.

This was on the PC. I would have had the game around 1998 and i don't think it was much out of date at that point.

No it was shit. But every so often it wanders into my brain to find out what it was and then verify that the media thought it was shit too.

Edit: my sarcasm detector is on the blink.

I borrowed a game off my friend many years ago. It was a Civ type game but scifi. There were several different races with different attributes. Each zone on the planet was layed out in a grid. people, ships, planes etc were represented by icons (the people by ones like you would find on a toilet). It was very very colourful.

i didn't even like the game and gave up when i figured out that the computer was cheating atrociously even on the lower diffficulty levels, but i still would love to know the name of it! Ah, nostalgia making fools of us all.

This was on the PC. I would have had the game around 1998 and i don't think it was much out of date at that point.

I played a similar sounding game. I remember thinking it was a cool idea, but I ended up hating it because it was so fucking hard. Like get completely stomped by the computer in 30 minutes hard. I think it was Deadlocked: Planetary Conquest (I couldn't have told you the name before looking it up, but I remember it was by Accolade, so it was probably that). Is that the game you're thinking of?

Edit: my sarcasm detector is on the blink.

I was serious. Enjoying video games has prepared me to accept a premise like that as potentially awesome.

Ah, sorry, i thought you were making fun of my description!:getmecoat

Anyhow, thanks Garden Ninja - it was in fact the sequal to that one that i played Deadlock 2: Shrine Wars.

I played it quite a lot and then hated it through frustration when i discovered the computer cheating. Maybe I was just horrilbe at it as well and looked for something to blame.

Watching the X-COM stream reminded me of an old isometric game that my friend and I used to play. You started off in some sort of space ship or a laboratory and you were able to open drawers and stuff. I think you could go outside as well, but I have no idea what you were actually supposed to do in the game.

Anyway, I have said too much already. What is the name of the game?

The ship (or laboratory or generic building) was significantly bigger. Also, the game wasn't as old, if I recall correctly. Thanks for trying, though!

Sounds like Alpha Centauri but that came out in 99.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri