Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

According to that, I'm pretty much safe from robots (2.5%). Those at risk could become HR managers (0.55%), nurses (0.9%), elementary school teachers (0.44%), clergy (0.8%) or photographers (2.9%). Working with humans seems to be the best bet. Pretty much everyone else is totally screwed.

Sadly there is no entry for "President of the United States of America"

Well, that confirms what I already knew, which was that my job (Optical Lab Tech) is for sure going to be automated very, very soon (97%), which isn't surprising considering that there are labs that are automated in the US already, they just cost a lot to set-up. They aren't entirely automated though, they do still need a minder to calibrate and monitor the machines and to fiddle with the one-off things the machines can't do. Probably the actual best course of action for people working in soon-to-be obsolete manufacturing fields is to learn how to maintain the machinery, since it can't do that itself (yet).

That's oddly hypnotic. I presume they're remote control and this isn't some terrifying sumo AI proving ground?

Looks like AI to me, some of those movements are too fast and precise to be done by remote control.

I am a huge fan of that video. I wonder if it's completely autonomous or if there's a human controlling at least the high level tactics.

So my company apparently will take robots in use at a warehouse. This is a small quote from the news that they announced:

The autonomous mobile robots have a loading capacity of 78 kilograms and can cover a distance of two metres per second. When the battery life of maximum nine hours comes to an end, the freight robot independently makes its way to the charging unit. The intelligent robots recognise their location and surroundings, and can differentiate between dynamic and static obstacles, thus enabling evasive action to work safely with and around people.

So, since it can carry 78kg, it can easily kill humans and carry the bodies away so that nobody notices?

Why would it need to carry the bodies away? Because it's equipped with the ability to engage in evasive action to work safely with and around people, nobody will ever suspect it.

I love those goofy arms! I have watched the bit at 1:32 ten times now.

You can't just post a link to that article and not mention the completely outrageous video it contains.

The unwitting tools of armageddon fine folks at DeepMind have made a new version of AlphaGo, AlphaGo Zero that simply by playing the game learned to beat all the previous versions of AlphaGo in just 40 days. For the first time in human history there is something that is better than people (Arguably it is the best in the world.) in a real world application that people didn't teach in any way. 

https://deepmind.com/blog/alphago-zero-learning-scratch/

https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v550/n7676/full/nature24270.html

It's the BigDog's sassy little brother! (Subscribing to the Boston Dynamics YouTube channel was a great idea)