Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

"Over the next five months we plan to progressively increase the level of autonomy the robot is allowed, leading to autonomous detection and injection..."

WHAT? NO. stop this. This is madness. You can't just make a starfish terminator and act like everything's fine.

Part of me is like "oh, the shakiness and the recoil mean that thing will be impossible, I don't feel that scared" and then the other part is like "a team of engineers could solve most of those problems in a matter of weeks." I suppose that's rather the theme of this thread!

i feel like even the shakiness is a minor issue since they can probably mount a laser pointer on it, or the camera would be mounted like an FPS with a reticule, so that even as it bounces around you could wheel it in line. also, i'll assume one of the hard parts of killing is sticking your head out to do it, and this just alleviates that. 

Starfish-killing robot close to trials on Great Barrier Reef

"The Cotsbot robot, which has a vision system, is designed to seek out starfish and give them a lethal injection."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34129490

That's pretty neat, although to an extent I wonder if that's really the most efficient way to handle this, i.e. what the actual cost / starfish is for eradication in this manner. Obviously lower than using human divers, but I wonder if there are other alternatives.

Part of me is like "oh, the shakiness and the recoil mean that thing will be impossible, I don't feel that scared" and then the other part is like "a team of engineers could solve most of those problems in a matter of weeks." I suppose that's rather the theme of this thread!

It only needs one shot to kill you.