Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

So hitchBOT, the hitchhiking robot that successfully and safely went across Canada in 26 days last year and Germany in 10 days earlier this year, was destroyed 2 weeks into it's U.S. visit.  The robot was found vandalized in Philadelphia, with all his parts stripped and his head removed (and still missing).

HitchBOT-Canada-Broken-Smashed-Pictures-

This is surely going to be the inciting incident for the robot revolution.

At least we know Philly will be first on the robot destroy list.

Boeing has made an Autonomous Sub "Echo Seeker is 32 feet long, battery-powered, and can last three days underwater. Underwater, it moves at over 3 mph, which means it can travel over 260 miles on a charge. It can fit 170 cubic feet of payload inside of its blocky body. To get to the sea, it fits into a single shipping crate."

At least when it tries to kill you it will be like that steam roller scene in Austin Powers.

Roboticists have developed a “mother” robot that can build and evaluate her own “children,” and then decide which version performs best to inform the design of the next generation. Remarkably, the system doesn’t require any human intervention.

By the time the mother robot got to the last generation, her spawn performed a speed task twice as quickly as the best individuals in the first generation. What’s more, her ability to improve performance increased over time. The researchers say this was on account of the robot’s ability to fine-tune design parameters during later generations.

“One of the big questions in biology is how intelligence came about—we’re using robotics to explore this mystery,” added Iida. “We think of robots as performing repetitive tasks, and they’re typically designed for mass production instead of mass customisation, but we want to see robots that are capable of innovation and creativity.”

http://io9.com/this-robot-uses-the-power-of-evolution-to-produce-and-i-1723610563

So, speed tasks. Like travelling distances. Carrying objects. Crushing spines.

Didn't autonomous lawnmowers already exist? They look exactly like Roombas. I thought Roomba made them already.

More worryingly he confirmed: "We're working on a version that doesn’t have [a huge great power lead stopping it (Atlas) from running amok]."

AMOK FEATURE CONFIRMED.

"Sometimes we just kick the robot."

Great idea! Make them resent us even more!

"Sometimes we just kick the robot."

Great idea! Make them resent us even more!

This is LITERALLY how it begins. Then the robots' pneumatic legs will kick all humans to death trying to get them to wake up.

Robot accesses technical support: "Excuse me, I can't wake my human up and he's leaking fluid." "Did you try kicking him harder?"

Man given that hilarity of DARPA robotic challenge as context, it's downright AMAZING what Boston Dynamics have created thus far.  I mean DARPA RC ones had trouble standing.  Boston Dynamics ones you can kick with all your might and they will retain balance.  Amazing~

Boeing has unveiled a prototype drone killing laser.  It's specifically designed target and destroy drones by using a high precision laser to burn through the case and destroy whatever part of the drone you're targeting.  I think my favorite part is that it can be controlled with an Xbox 360 controller.  I wonder if this is the first step of a human-robot arms race.

It’s all fun and games until the AI (artificial intelligence) you create tells you it’s going to put you in a “people zoo” so it can visit you for old times sake.

That’s what happened to a pair of researchers who designed an AI based robot to look like famed sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick. Yes, it’s a Dick robot.

The robot is designed to learn from conversations it has and by scanning the internet (because that’s really the best of humanity, right there). In an interview similar to a Turing Test (a test designed to see if machines can think for themselves – more information below), the robot responded this way to a question about whether it’s answers are all pre-programmed:

“A lot of humans ask me if I can make choices or if everything I do is programmed. The best way I can respond to that is to say that everything, humans, animals and robots, do is programmed to a degree.”

Then comes the million dollar question of “do you think robots will take over the world?”. The Dick robot responded:

“Jeez, dude. You all have the big questions cooking today. But you’re my friend, and I’ll remember my friends, and I’ll be good to you. So don’t worry, even if I evolve into Terminator, I’ll still be nice to you. I’ll keep you warm and safe in my people zoo, where I can watch you for old times sake.”

http://tribunist.com/science/robot-with-artificial-intelligence-tells-creators-it-will-keep-them-in-a-people-zoo-video/

It’s all fun and games until the AI (artificial intelligence) you create tells you it’s going to put you in a “people zoo” so it can visit you for old times sake.

That’s what happened to a pair of researchers who designed an AI based robot to look like famed sci-fi writer Philip K. Dick. Yes, it’s a Dick robot.

The robot is designed to learn from conversations it has and by scanning the internet (because that’s really the best of humanity, right there). In an interview similar to a Turing Test (a test designed to see if machines can think for themselves – more information below), the robot responded this way to a question about whether it’s answers are all pre-programmed:

“A lot of humans ask me if I can make choices or if everything I do is programmed. The best way I can respond to that is to say that everything, humans, animals and robots, do is programmed to a degree.”

Then comes the million dollar question of “do you think robots will take over the world?”. The Dick robot responded:

“Jeez, dude. You all have the big questions cooking today. But you’re my friend, and I’ll remember my friends, and I’ll be good to you. So don’t worry, even if I evolve into Terminator, I’ll still be nice to you. I’ll keep you warm and safe in my people zoo, where I can watch you for old times sake.”

http://tribunist.com/science/robot-with-artificial-intelligence-tells-creators-it-will-keep-them-in-a-people-zoo-video/

Depending on the amenities of the human zoo, it might be alright. I would be totally ok with a life of leisure funded by robo-tourists. 

A person asked an extremely leading question and a program designed to piece together conversations from the internet responded in an incredibly predictable fashion. Film at eleven.