Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

So what's the countdown on someone giving a stage presentation or a Ted talk or something on robotics that ends with the presenter pulling off their faceplate while the real person who created them walks onstage?

Hahahaha, yes!

"Oh, just one more thing..."

The DARPA Robotics Challenge is happening today and tomorrow at the Pomona Fairplex in SoCal. I'm going to check it out tomorrow but meantime you can watch live at www.theroboticschallenge.org

From the DARPA Robot Olympics:

iLQ5k4i.gif

More *excellent* physical robot comedy here.

I'm not the only one here that subscribes to the

right?
I saw a video years ago of a man chopping up boots full of meat. Was that them?

From the DARPA Robot Olympics:

iLQ5k4i.gif

More *excellent* physical robot comedy here.

DARPA?  More like DERPA kekekekekeke

I'm so sorry for that obvious and cheesy pun...

"his bot can place 1,000 bricks an hour, enough to erect the walls of a house in two days of round-the-clock work—a task that, on average, takes a human crew four to six weeks of hard labor."

How fast could this robot trap someone in a room with bricks? Obviously Edgar Allan Poe foresaw this threat.

http://singularityhub.com/2015/06/29/human-vs-robot-bricklaying-robot-can-place-1000-bricks-an-hour/

Robot kills worker at Volkswagen Plant in Germany

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/02/robot-kills-worker-at-volkswagen-plant-in-germany?CMP=fb_gu

"The 22-year-old was part of a team that was setting up the stationary robot when it grabbed and crushed him against a metal plate, Hillwig said.

He said initial conclusions indicate that human error was to blame, rather than a problem with the robot, which can be programmed to perform various tasks in the assembly process. He said it normally operates within a confined area at the plant, grabbing auto parts and manipulating them."

I wonder if those conclusions had been come to via the help of a computer. 

Robot kills worker at Volkswagen Plant in Germany

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/02/robot-kills-worker-at-volkswagen-plant-in-germany?CMP=fb_gu

"The 22-year-old was part of a team that was setting up the stationary robot when it grabbed and crushed him against a metal plate, Hillwig said.

He said initial conclusions indicate that human error was to blame, rather than a problem with the robot, which can be programmed to perform various tasks in the assembly process. He said it normally operates within a confined area at the plant, grabbing auto parts and manipulating them."

I wonder if those conclusions had been come to via the help of a computer. 

The weird thing about that story is I and many others saw it get tweeted by a woman on twitter named Sarah O'Conner.  I feel bad for her because she got flooded with jokey replies and she hasn't seen any of the movies.

The last part of that story is also kind of strange:

"German news agency DPA reported that prosecutors were considering whether to bring charges, and if so, against whom."

Who do we blame for the machines we create killing us?

The last part of that story is also kind of strange:

"German news agency DPA reported that prosecutors were considering whether to bring charges, and if so, against whom."

Who do we blame for the machines we create killing us?

If the machine is found guilty of murder, do we give it the electric chair?

If the machine is found guilty of murder, do we give it the electric chair?

What if the machine is an electronic chair?

Not really in the scope of apocalyptic autonomous robot news, but i can't resist posting about a goddamned real world giant robot duel:

I am positively giddy.

Not really in the scope of apocalyptic autonomous robot news, but i can't resist posting about a goddamned real world giant robot duel:

I am positively giddy.

From the videos I have seen the American Robot seems a lot more functional. I haven't found any video of the Japanese robot driving.

This article has some stats on the bots

http://makezine.com/2015/07/06/usa-vs-japan-giant-robot-battle/