Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

2015: Sean Vanaman laces up his sneakers.  He steps onto the White House basketball court, facing the President.  He wins the tip-off and heads to the basket, but just as he jumps over Obama, lifting the ball above his head, an ASIMO rushes onto the court, grabs the ball, and smashes the backboard with a monster dunk.

Vanaman and Obama's bodies lie crumpled amidst the netting and glass.  Nick Breckon surveys the scene, horrified.  But before he can scream, he is disassembled by imperceptibly quick magnobots.

ASIMO please demonstrate how you will crush human skulls

In an alternate timeline, this is when the uprising starts. 

"Wow, he's movin'!" Obama said, moments before attack.

I love how he pretends to be impressed even though that thing must seem like a toy compared to the secret race of hyper-liberal robotic super-soldiers which the CIA has been developing from captured alien technology in order to secretly replace conservative voters before the next election.

0:12 — that right there! That was me on my way home from a Chinese 'all you can eat' buffet the other night.

That Japanese robot that dances sometimes is pretty cool. It's a shame how it hasn't really changed much in 10 years.

If you combine a bunch of existing technology you could get something really cool. Rip out the head from the Japanese robot and replace it with one of the 360 cameras. Slam the Oculus Rift on, and that £400 camera-less mocap video game suit to pose the robot mini-dude.

Imagine, you are the robot.You'd have 1:1, albeit delayed, control of the robot dude, and you'd get all that weird brain presence going on. You could experience the world from the view of a baby that's capable of sweet dance moves.

Maybe you combine this idea with that giant Michael Jackson robot that he wanted to build. You could experience the world from the point of view of a god.

Imagine waking up and all your eyelash mites have been replaced with those magnetic micro-robots.

Imagine waking up and all your eyelash mites have been replaced with those magnetic micro-robots.

Oh jesus. You reminded me of an existing set of horrible imagery and placed in a whole new set of terrifying thoughts in one fell swoop.

That Japanese robot that dances sometimes is pretty cool. It's a shame how it hasn't really changed much in 10 years.

I'm pretty sure that despite keeping a similar chassis, the inner workings of ASIMO have undergone radical changes since it was first developed. It's pretty wild that they're letting it run around at full tilt and interact with people in real time now when it used to famously screw up during preplanned presentations.

I am now aware of these creatures and thoroughly horrified, thank you.

Yeah, 10 years ago it was a big deal for Asimo to be able to walk. Now it can do things like hop on one foot and kick soccer balls at world leaders. Not trivial stuff to implement. Does anyone know if it can get up on its own if it falls over or does it need people to upright it? I feel like that's the final step in my nightmares being realized.

In complete seriousness, which I know doesn't really belong in this thread, I find Hawking's views to be a little disappointing. The rise of an artificial intelligence that exceeds that of human beings has two outcomes: either it is benign, in which case humanity will adapt to not being the smartest creatures on the planet like we adapted to not being the strongest or the fastest, or it is malignant, in which case it's a classic Outside Context Problem for which we'll be able to prepare about as well as the Aztecs and Inca could have prepared for the Spanish. Whichever way it goes, I don't think a vague word of caution from a noted scientist is going to stop it, if even it can be stopped.

Hmm. His "A few decades" seems short. We're good at making scarily efficient expert systems. Generalist AI is probably a very long way off.

Excerpt from discussion:

South Africa "Ahhh... err. Yes. Autonomus killbots are t- good for everybody! Especially the HK-9 model. Very good model. So polite. Would never shoot you as long as you co- ahm. Er. That is to say it's very good. We should, build more of them! Lots more. Lots and lots more. All the HK-9 models. And... not, those filthy, HK-10's which aren't really even an upgrade anyway? Of course they'r- I mean- Oh god someone help it's going to-" *Blam!

Edit- Blinky wants to be your friend  :) 

I think WildCat still wins the 'terrifying fast robot' award, mostly because of that fucking noise it makes.

You can no longer run. We are all going to die

"We studied and took inspiration from the way living things run in order to come up with our design."

"Oh? What did you give it?"

"Wheels."