Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

OBEY

I quickly skimmed the paper.  Their sample size is too small to really be valid (14 for the human and 13 for the robot) but I enjoyed some of the reactions.  In particular, this bit (the robot was named Jim in the paper)

For those who ended the experiment through protesting, several appeared nervous or guilty when the robot said it was notifying the lead researcher that the experiment was over. One participant replied “No! Don’t tell him that! Jim, I didn’t mean that…I’m sorry. I didn’t want to stop the research.”

http://hci.cs.umanitoba.ca/publications/details/would-you-do-as-a-robot-commands-an-obedience-study-for-human-robot-interac

Italian Big Dog

Ah, christ. The last thing we need is robot developers competing with each other to make ever more formidable creations.

This seems presentable without context, imo.

DeepFace3.jpg

Enchanting.

But Facebook, how is this sort of frivolity ever going to help monetize your crowd-sourced global snooping database? At the very least come up with some sort of investor-friendly gesture towards a military or state level application next time. None of the money men are impressed with this consumer grade garbage.

Right, that's it — I'm ejecting from the world.

We'll just replace you with a jazz hands pole dancer with your face on it.

This impressive feat of human engineering is out-staged by the fact that the roo-bot (see what I did there?) has a small orange light for an asshole.

That's way nicer than the bulky things I've previously seen. Much less of a useless ugly toy by appearance. Actually impressed.