Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

The winner of a DARPA-organized robotics challenge. (That included multiple teams running Boston Dynamics' very terminator-esque Atlas.)

btw: Google owns these guys too, now.

Anyone remember that Tom Selleck 80s sci-fi movie with the assassin spider-bots?

You mean the documentary about actual real life as it is occurring right now?

I know that I should be frightened to death by these things, but a robot that sits in a vehicle and steers it with its hands puts a smile on my face the same way the keyboard punching secretary robot in Wall-E does. Way to think inside the box!

You mean the documentary about actual real life as it is occurring right now?

Does Tom Selleck's mustache hide the secret to time travel?

A chat-bot that searches Twitter for global-warming deniers and then argues with them. This is the future. The social-media will soon consist of these algorithms fighting each other, the Bot-Wars. I suppose that it kinda already is that, only it's not automated yet and, though rare, people have the capability to change their minds. 
http://www.technologyreview.com/view/421519/chatbot-wears-down-proponents-of-anti-science-nonsense/

A neat self-righting cube. Not self aware... yet.

I fought that cube, and won. Legend of Grimrock is still on flash sale right now.

They need to teach that C

Darpa challenge winner judo. It could take down all the other robots with those crazy arms.

A chat-bot that searches Twitter for global-warming deniers and then argues with them. This is the future. The social-media will soon consist of these algorithms fighting each other, the Bot-Wars. I suppose that it kinda already is that, only it's not automated yet and, though rare, people have the capability to change their minds. 

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/421519/chatbot-wears-down-proponents-of-anti-science-nonsense/

That is a crying shame that the Twitter account is suspended.  But that story is a few years old now, so not surprising.

Jobs stolen by complex new breed of androids, indistinguishable from humans.

SignWavingMannequins.org

"The future of sign waving" is the best tagline.

Also, I can't imagine that being more affordable than just hiring someone to wave a sign in the short term or just buying a standing sign in the long term.

At least around here, people are standing with signs because it's against city ordinance to have commercial signs posted on public property, so you're paying to have a sign placed where you normally couldn't.

I have no idea why anyone would bother with a mannequin, they could just have a spinning motor on a stick.

I'm pretty sure that a mannequin holding a sign is legally distinct from a person holding a sign.

I'm pretty sure that a mannequin holding a sign is legally distinct from a person holding a sign.

That is racist, Tegan. You are a racist.

Seriously. If I've learned one thing from Kim Cattrall, it's that mannequin's are people too.

Just in case you thought 5kg objects, random sloped surfaces and altered gravity would save you.