Forbin

The threat of Big Dog

That's terrifying. I refuse to believe that that could possibly be real, so how is it faked? That's some pretty good eyelid CGI.

That video is fake. Look up the authors name or more about tue video and you'll see that he's a video/performance artist of some kind.

That video is fake. Look up the authors name or more about tue video and you'll see that he's a video/performance artist of some kind.

Doesn't surprise me, it was extremely well shot for a "home" movie. (You shot coverage? Come on!). Weird stuff though, and otherwise extremely well done!

Fake in what way? That he's not actually seeing 3D? I thought it was meant to be a joke, and that this was obvious ...

Fake in what way? That he's not actually seeing 3D? I thought it was meant to be a joke, and that this was obvious ...

Well I'd agree with you that it seems absurd... but his eyelids!

Yeah. It would definitely be possible to do 3D this way, providing:

• the blinking doesn't trigger a focus change in the eye, and
  • the blinking is fast enough and synchronized properly with the display

I viewed it as a joke, though, and a good opportunity to put those electronic muscle things on your face. I've tried this myself, using a therapy machine thing my parents have, and put an electrode on each temple. It was horrible.

I viewed it as a joke, though, and a good opportunity to put those electronic muscle things on your face. I've tried this myself, using a therapy machine thing my parents have, and put an electrode on each temple. It was horrible.

Ah. I'd never seen that technology before.

Yeah. It would definitely be possible to do 3D this way, providing:

• the blinking doesn't trigger a focus change in the eye, and
  • the blinking is fast enough and synchronized properly with the display

I can see there being a problem with the time it takes for each eye to open and close. Wouldn't it be very flickery?

I assume it would be terrible, and not by any means useful for anything, but I still think it might just work.

I assume it would be terrible, and not by any means useful for anything, but I still think it might just work.

Then we're agreed: it might work, but not well.

It wouldn't work. The muscles which supply the eye would fatigue. Try doing it yourself as fast as you can. After a minute or so the rate slows until eventually it slows to a near stop.

Levator palpebrae superioiris (the muscle that opens the lids) would be a type IIb fibre which are very fatiguable. Orbicularis oculi (which closes the lids) is probably a type IIx; not quite so fatiguable but still fairly fatiguable.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal_muscle)

Also, the area that the electrodes are placed would mean he contracts the temporalis muscle which would result in him clenching his jaw.

It's definitely a fake, and a bad one at that, HARUMPH. :mock:

What is this, amateur hour? If you knew the first thing about the sympathetic nervous system you would see that the electrodes are placed on the myoblastic rim of the superior tarsal muscle ("sulcus subtarsalis"), and would stimulate the ophthalmic artery, thus avoiding IIx (Ix) fatigue ("Müller's fatigue"). This is basic myotome embryology.

What is this, amateur hour? If you knew the first thing about the sympathetic nervous system you would see that the electrodes are placed on the myoblastic rim of the superior tarsal muscle ("sulcus subtarsalis"), and would stimulate the ophthalmic artery, thus avoiding IIx (Ix) fatigue ("Müller's fatigue"). This is basic myotome embryology.

unfortunately we wouldn't even be considered "amateur" optomitrists. But it is still a good video.

unfortunately we wouldn't even be considered "amateur" optomitrists.

Optomitrists? Are these the ones with that disconcerting procedure where they grab your eyeballs and tell you to cough? ;(

Optomitrists? Are these the ones with that disconcerting procedure where they grab your eyeballs and tell you to cough? ;(

No, optomitrists are the ones who are always perky and happy.

I can't describe how excited I was to see a photo of Big Dogs in one of the "The Truth" segments in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

Actually, I can, thus: I was quite excited.