Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

Hello, I live in the UK, please bum me with democracy.

iirc it more or less comes down to getting your internet connection taken away when you don't pay the content maffiaa enough.

The content of the bill is one thing... It's not just about the internet. However, the bits that ARE there to do with disconnection are there for the express reason that Fox execs and BPI folk have taken Peter Mandelson out to lunch. That still isn't the most important bit, although worrying: the bill was pushed through in what's called the 'wash-up' period... The last few weeks before Parliament is closed prior to a general election. This hasn't been discussed properly, has quite a lot of possibly serious effects on civil liberties that are the direct result of private business interests that are now law. Less than half of our elected representatives turned up to vote.

Added to that, over 300 'seats' are 'safe' (meaning whichever party's representatives are currently incumbent in an area will remain there) due to the way the votes are counted.

UK democratic process is broken.

Aye, utterly balls up. I'm going to write to my prospective and current MP's asking about this.

At least, I say at least, the Liberal Democrats voted against this bill and pushed the electoral reform I'm reading more about now.

For those not in the know about this law (and it's a little more then just disconnects, it has some Video game stuff too):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/digital-economy-bill

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/apr/08/digital-economy-bill-quick-guide-45-measures

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/apr/08/digital-economy-bill

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/apr/08/digital-economy-bill-video-games

Note the Conservatives intentionally didn't turn up - ie abstained - since they got their bits in. Gah. Stupid representative republic...

It's a concern because, in the usual fashion, the UK government is legislating for a medium they don't understand. I can see web bans being handed out left right and centre to the innocent bystanders as the lumbering legal beast becomes self aware and attempts to get a grip on what it is actually for...

They also don't understand the pure militant bloody mindedness of the Internet. Physically it's designed from the ground up to circumvent restrictions and blocks. That does empower it's users hugely against the type of restrictions they may try to impose.

Madleson is a smug, unelected little prick that now has the power to change copyright law on a whim, that on it's own if fucking scary as I'm sure he has eaten a few 'free' lunches in his time.

Right now I'm so fucking annoyed by this I have probably not made much sense, much like our political system. :frusty:

Fuck democracy, basically.

Also, very disappointed in Labour. They're still my bros, but they're seriously shit on civil liberties outside of basic rights, which are actually one of their strongest suits. They've done a lot for the gay community, but that doesn't mean they don't want to spy on your ass with CCTV all fucking day.

They don't call Mandelson the Prince of Darkness for nothing, the right wing cunt. Sums up New Labour, really. Give me back pre-Smith Labour, give me back clunking, shitty, unionised dinosaur Old Labour.

What's up with the UK lately? I guess this means the US will be following suit soon.

What do you mean lately? UK has been putting 1984 in to action for the past 10 years or something.