Sign in to follow this  
toblix

iPhone OS 4

I just installed it on my phone, played with it for five minutes, and then went back to the old one. Or did I? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say if I did. Or didn't.

at this point, Apple reclosed most of the major gaps that I could see between their competitors. What do you guys think?

Not really. It's still somewhat behind on the Android. Although various Android phones are also behind on the Android.

Does iPhone OS 4 finally support tethering? I'm still stuck on 3.0 because of that. It's my work phone, and being able to connect to the internet with my laptop at any time.

Not really. It's still somewhat behind on the Android. Although various Android phones are also behind on the Android.

Does iPhone OS 4 finally support tethering? I'm still stuck on 3.0 because of that. It's my work phone, and being able to connect to the internet with my laptop at any time.

Blow me away with your huge list of features that the iPhone is lacking, please. Otherwise, I think that my comment that most of the major gaps have been closed is still fairly accurate.

Blow me away with your huge list of features that the iPhone is lacking, please. Otherwise, I think that my comment that most of the major gaps have been closed is still fairly accurate.

Besides tethering ...

1) I can connect my Android phone to any devices that supports USB mass storage devices, and those devices can read the files from my phone.

2) I can install applications through other means than a strictly controlled "market".

3) When my phone is locked I can see if somebody called me, or if I received a message, or ...

4) My "home screen" shows more than just application icons. It can show my upcoming appointments, the weather, a music player with the current music being played, etc.

Gah, everything sounded pretty cool up until they said that the 3G wouldn't be getting some features like multitasking. The folders look the best to me and would give me a way to dump all the shit apps that come on the phone that you can't get rid of.

I wonder why they decided to save the worst news for the last. It's like "Free iced cream!!! But not for you."

I'm guessing there's no technical reason why older hardware can't do multitasking. I think they just don't want users complaining multitasking is too slow on their old hardware. lame.

Yeah, sad that the 3GS isn't getting multitasking. I now regret that I got a two year contract for the phone. Could have just paid the fine for ending the contract right when I bought it, but it would make no economic sense to do that now.

So I'm not getting a new one until this contract expires. Unless they have some kind of upgrade option, which I don't think they do (might be different in the US).

Wait... I read it wrong. 3GS is getting multitasking. Fucking A!

PS. Is the 4.0 OS just for the iPhone or also iPad?

3GS, iPod Touch 3rd Generation (circa 2009), iPad.

I wonder why they decided to save the worst news for the last. It's like "Free iced cream!!! But not for you."

I'm guessing there's no technical reason why older hardware can't do multitasking. I think they just don't want users complaining multitasking is too slow on their old hardware. lame.

I guess it's that exactly. If multitasking causes the hardware to stutter, Apple will lose face. Better to not include it and encourage people to buy the next one as opposed to putting out something that doesn't work effectively.

Too bad multitasking doesn't work on 3G. Certainly not going to buy 3GS because of that, though. Folders and home screen wallpapers are kinda neat, though. :tmeh:

What do you mean? Tethering is there on 3.1 and from what I have understood works just fine, at least in Finland. Haven't tried it myself, though.

Also, about being able to see messages and missed calls in Android when the phone is locked: do you mean that the screen isn't turned off when the phone is locked? Or do you mean that you can see the messages on the "scroll to unlock" equivalent screen when you wake up the display? I'm pretty sure, that is how it works on iPhone as well. Or did I misunderstand you completely?

What do you mean? Tethering is there on 3.1 and from what I have understood works just fine, at least in Finland. Haven't tried it myself, though.

The apple fanboys at my work said I shouldn't upgrade the firmware because with 3.1 tethering doesn't work because it was removed. In 3.2 it was put back, but can only be activated through the carrier (better locked down than it was the case in 3.0).

Also, about being able to see messages and missed calls in Android when the phone is locked: do you mean that the screen isn't turned off when the phone is locked? Or do you mean that you can see the messages on the "scroll to unlock" equivalent screen when you wake up the display? I'm pretty sure, that is how it works on iPhone as well. Or did I misunderstand you completely?

On a default Android you can see you missed a call by turning on the display (without unlocking the phone). But there are also applications that can signal various things (like missed call, received SMS, ...) by blinking the led, etc.

On the iPhone I have to unlock the phone (by sliding and then entering my pin) so see if I received a message or missed a call.

Yeah, my biggest desired feature in 4.0 is actually usage of the locked screen, which there's really no excuse for. Why not show weather stats? Missed calls? Emails? Battery life? SOMETHING? The lock screen is absolutely useless for practically no reason.

Jailbreak your iPhone! There's basically no reason not to, and there are amazing apps available once you have. For example: LockInfo.

Adds most of the things you listed to the lockscreen. Upcoming calender items, 5 day weather, emails (which you can read and delete from the lockscreen), missed calls, texts, and potentially other stuff via plugins. Check out the screenshots here:

http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/2009/11/02/lockinfo-feature-packed-lockscreen-mod/

For the record, jailbreaking is completely reversible and doesn't break any built-in functionality like the app store, music store, etc. If you use a Mac, you can get the wizard (you heard me) to jailbreak your phone from:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/376648600/pre-game-show

I thought Apple just upped and bricked a shit load of iPhones when it first started happening? Was that just more Apple spin?

I believe that was only unlocked phones, not jailbroken.