pabosher

Interesting stuff that might get you laid.

In Philippines, a number of people wanted to be nailed on the cross every Holy Friday...

This I saw in a Finnish travel program by two Madventurers.

It always seems to amaze foreigners that where I come from, up in Northern Norway (also in places equally up north, like in Finland, Russia, Canada and Alaska), The sun is up 24/7 during summer. When you're walking home from the pub at 3am, it still looks like noon outside. (Actually, not quite like noon, since it still goes really low, so every shadow will be really long, and the sky will be lit up with orange and pink)

Consequently, in winter the sun doesn't come up at all, and we only have daylight a couple of hours each day. It's hard to get up at the morning and be at school by 8am when it's still dark, then when you exit at 4, it's dark again. 3:

Yeah, that's the amazing bit around here.

It's crazy that during winter it's dark when I go to work and when I leave from work it's dark again. So I miss all the sunlight.

Funny thing is that we don't even get D vitamin from the sunlight enough in Finland that much, only during the brief, but nice summer period.

Edited by Kolzig

Hard to belive is that this

r7gFNaGYEs8

is the second most played song on the world right after Beatles's Yeaterday. And gues where it came from? Middle of nowhere!

I don't actually love it, but you got to be proud!

The collective noun for baboons is a 'Flange'.

Acccording to QI, that actually originated in the Not the Nine O'Clock News where Rowan Atkinson plays a gorilla ("Are you mad?" "Yes, livid", or something along those lines), but has since been adopted in a limited capacity by some biologists OR SOMETHING I FORGET THE PRECISE DETAILS VERY SORRY.

Spaced?

I'm pretty sure it's Shaun of the Dead.

I'm pretty sure it's Shaun of the Dead.

It started as an injoke on the set of Spaced, since they had trouble making the dog there look where they wanted him to for the shots. Then they claim dogs can't look up in both Shaun and Hot Fuzz.

(I out-dork you all!)

Whoa whoa whoa, you certainly don't out-dork me. I knew it was Spaced, I just wasn't sure if that's what he was referencing. :getmecoat

Another factoid from Nick Frost (99p Challenge) - If you out-hoot an owl, you can have his gold.

Uh... Fried gold?

Another factoid from Nick Frost (99p Challenge) - If you out-hoot an owl, you can have his gold.

At 108 years old, SOMEBODY Rogers is the world's oldest child.

Some people are still amazed that crime mysteries are a big part of the Norwegian Easter holiday tradition. I'm being really modern about it and playing Perfect Prosecutor.

I'm amazed. What the fuck does that have to do with Easter? Don't get me wrong...it sounds awesome.

and what the fuck does a bunny actually have to do with Easter? :)

and what the fuck does a bunny actually have to do with Easter? :)

The hare was a symbol of the goddess Ostara, whom Easter is named after. She was also a goddess of the moon and the shape in the moon's craters was thought to resemble a hare rather than a man's face. Ostara, or Eastre, is where we get the word Oestrogen from too.

What, you thought a Christian festival would place its day based on the phase of the moon?

Most Christian holiday traditions are actually pagan traditions. But then everyone knew that already.

What, you thought a Christian festival would place its day based on the phase of the moon?

Most Christian holiday traditions are actually pagan traditions. But then everyone knew that already.

no, I didn't think that and that's exactly why i said that. :)

The hare was a symbol of the goddess Ostara, whom Easter is named after. She was also a goddess of the moon and the shape in the moon's craters was thought to resemble a hare rather than a man's face. Ostara, or Eastre, is where we get the word Oestrogen from too.

Now that IS interesting.

What,
? Yeah, in Germany they show this on New Year's Eve. It's also a Norwegian tradition, but here it's shown on December 23rd. In 2003, 1.4 million people watched it here, which is about 31% of everyone.

That was the worst 10 minutes of my life.

And the chocolate eggs?

And the chocolate eggs?

Egg is like birth and the shape (a sort of fucked circle) is the whole idea of circular life that Jesus lead - life, death, life etc.

Egg is like birth and the shape (a sort of fucked circle) is the whole idea of circular life that Jesus lead - life, death, life etc.

And the chocolate part?

Contrary to the popular story, nails were hard to come by in Jesusonian times so in reality, the nails used to peg him to the cross were in fact out of date Wispa's, hence the chocolate connection.

Contrary to the popular story, nails were hard to come by in Jesusonian times so in reality, the nails used to peg him to the cross were in fact out of date Wispa's, hence the chocolate connection.

oh, that's why....i already had something different in mind, more on the lines of the lord's...strategy chocolate....no, wait...

I started off believing that particular story, until the Wispa part. I was all ready to be interested. :P

As a classical studies scholar, I can confirm the first part of this is true. However, since nails and rope were far too valuable to use in crucifixions in Judea, the Romans used hare entrails, hence easter bunnies.

You know, I bet you the 'out-of-date Wispas' line would get you laid by an incredibly ditzy blonde one Easter.