pabosher

Interesting stuff that might get you laid.

... but probably won't.

So yeah. I read a tweet the other day from Chris Remo, which said;

Working on this year's game industry salary survey. Income disparities look much less severe if you graph them logarithmically!

So yeah, that's not interesting, but it did remind me of an interesting fact I learned while listening to Radiolab.

Children - ie. Newborns and infants - see numbers in terms of their logarithmic properties. So, whereas for us, we see the difference been 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 as being the same - 1 - a baby sees the difference between 1 and 2 as being HUGE, compared to the difference between 9 and 10. That is, the difference between 1 and 2 is Double, whereas between 9 and 10 is 1 1/9, which is tiny.

They theorised this, then they went to a remote village somewhere that hadn't been taught our arbitrary number system, and drew a line on the ground. On one side was 1 fruit, on the other side was nine fruits. Something like this.

1 | 9

They then asked the people to place HALF the fruits in the middle. 5 right? Instead, they did this.

1 | 3 | 9

Because 1-3 is 3x, and 3-9 is 3x - therefore the difference is the same.

Fascinating, right?

So yeah. This is your thread to post interesting things, and wow the rest of us. They don't have to be as long as the ones I posted, they could be something like;

In Britain, a postage stamp is classed as legal tender.

In Britain, it's illegal to destroy anything with an image of the head of the realm on it.

In the UK, by law, Black taxi cabs are required to have a bale of hay and a pail of water in the back. This harks back to when black cabs were drawn by Horses, and the law was instated.

So yeah, gogogo! Also, if you haven't listen to Radiolab, you really, really should.

I think this is dou to the base from which you look at things. I mean, people fell and seen things through comparing them with familiar things you already have seen seeing the diffrence what becomes the new Thing in your brain till you see another familiar thing and then comparing this to it and so on.

Lets say that you buy a Wii. If you put it at home next to a DS, it will look huge, but if you put it next to a PS3 it will be tiny.

....man, I don't even want to read what I have just written[goes to sue Aristotel for psihical damage done to him]

Another interesting fact: In Slovenia you actually get healthier if you drink water from the pipes:tup:

Gibbons are the only creature to have ball-and-socket joints in their wrists. That is probably my all-time favourite piece of trivia.

Gibbons are the only creature to have ball-and-socket joints in their wrists. That is probably my all-time favourite piece of trivia.

Also, dogs can't look up.

So is that like your knee then?

No, like your shoulder. It's better for swivelling or something.

In Calgary, every downtown building is legally required to have a hitching post. Fear my backwards cowboy city!

Also, dogs can't look up.

Also interesting: dogs (and cats too) see compound objects as a whole. If you put treats into a bucket in front of them and cap it with a (even easily removable) plate, they won't try to get the treats. You have to explicity teach them how to remove the plate.

A great way to have fun fooling your pet (if you happen to find satisfaction in such things).

Also interesting: dogs (and cats too) see compound objects as a whole. If you put treats into a bucket in front of them and cap it with a (even easily removable) plate, they won't try to get the treats. You have to explicity teach them how to remove the plate.

A great way to have fun fooling your pet (if you happen to find satisfaction in such things).

Borrowing my dads dog.

No, like your shoulder. It's better for swivelling or something.

Your shoulder is more of a ball and shallow cup affair. Your hip is a ball and socket joint. PEDANT OUT.

Some people are still amazed that crime mysteries are a big part of the Norwegian Easter holiday tradition. I'm being really modern about it and playing Perfect Prosecutor.

How so?

On a related note, I'm going to order that in the next couple of days - love Ace Attorney games.

It always seems to amaze foreigners that where I come from, up in Northern Norway (also in places equally up north, like in Finland, Russia, Canada and Alaska), The sun is up 24/7 during summer. When you're walking home from the pub at 3am, it still looks like noon outside. (Actually, not quite like noon, since it still goes really low, so every shadow will be really long, and the sky will be lit up with orange and pink)

Consequently, in winter the sun doesn't come up at all, and we only have daylight a couple of hours each day. It's hard to get up at the morning and be at school by 8am when it's still dark, then when you exit at 4, it's dark again. 3:

That would be a great pick-up line;

"Babe, when we're finished, the sun will be up again /cool."

Yeah, it needs a little work, but you get the gist.

It's hard to get up at the morning and be at school by 8am when it's still dark, then when you exit at 4, it's dark again. 3:

Ouch ;(

I used to hate that when working in a basement gallery. I managed one winter of it; can't imagine what it's like year in, year out for over a decade.

Some people are still amazed that crime mysteries are a big part of the Norwegian Easter holiday tradition.

I'm amazed. What the fuck does that have to do with Easter? Don't get me wrong...it sounds awesome.

I'm amazed. What the fuck does that have to do with Easter? Don't get me wrong...it sounds awesome.

Well, you know what they say about the bible -- the world's oldest murder mystery. Who put Jesus on the cross? The butler?

Well, you know what they say about the bible -- the world's oldest murder mystery. Who put Jesus on the cross? The butler?

Isn't there a similar tradition in Germany? on Christmas eve or some other winter holiday?

Isn't there a similar tradition in Germany? on Christmas eve or some other winter holiday?

What, crucifiction?

What, crucifiction?

No, with murder mysteries or something similar, come to think of it I believe it is some old black and white English language film.

What,

? Yeah, in Germany they show this on New Year's Eve. It's also a Norwegian tradition, but here it's shown on December 23rd. In 2003, 1.4 million people watched it here, which is about 31% of everyone.

What,
? Yeah, in Germany they show this on New Year's Eve. It's also a Norwegian tradition, but here it's shown on December 23rd. In 2003, 1.4 million people watched it here, which is about 31% of everyone.

Yes, thanks for that.

Professor Plum in the library with a lead pipe.