mikemariano

Gabe Confirms Episode 3 Cancelled

Oh, Rock Paper Shotgun, that's some quality trolling. I really lost my breath for a minute.

But it does make me sad for Penny Arcade Adventures. I played the demo for the first one, and though it wasn't a game I would have fun with, it was really well done. The atmosphere was perfect, and...I guess the battle mechanic was all right in that Final Fantasy sort of way. It's too bad it didn't last.

Did anyone get into these games? Did Episode 2 end on a cliffhanger?

I think Ely getting killed and a picture of a ice trawler with the Aperture Labs logo on it can be considered a cliffhanger!!! hurf a durf

From the sounds of things the PA guys weren't really into making a video game after awhile (who would? it's hard work) so this isn't that much of a surprise.

Though I do like the guys art style and creativity in the universe, so would love to see that applied to other games, unfortunatly I doubt anything is motivating enough for him to do so.

This is why I like RPS. (And Tom Chick.)

Sad the Penny Arcade series is cancelled, though. I enjoyed the first game, but never played the second. Some day I intended to get to it. They're both only five bucks now on Steam. Humm.

I liked the first one well enough to finish it and buy the second. Have never actually fired up Episode 2 though, as it just got overwhelmed with higher-profile games when it came out. I should really do that.

I doubt this has anything to do with lack of motivation. I suspect the games just didn't sell very well, so they want to move on to other things.

I doubt this has anything to do with lack of motivation. I suspect the games just didn't sell very well, so they want to move on to other things.

Just relaying what I heard from a few friends at Hothouse, whether it's true or not is any ones guess, but yeah, I'd normally say sales.

edit: Actually, on second thought, this was something said to me a long time ago and things have changed, not to mention the PA guys probably would have toughed it out to finish it off if they could. So yeah, sales/deathspank potential.

Edited by Murdoc

A real shame, I was really looking forward to episode 3.

It's nice that they are going to finish the story on their website, but I still rather have played it.

The only reason I was ever interested in these games was because of Ron Gilbert's involvement, which I have never conclusively found out exactly what he did since there are no proper credits to be found. Besides interviews referring to him as being a story and design consultant, I get confused because either somewhere around the same time or beforehand he became Hothead's creative director. I was hoping a third episode might clear that up. I do currently own the first one having bought it from PSN, but I still haven't played it yet.

Other than that, I don't like Penny Arcade's humor, style, or characters (even though this 1920s setting was a big improvement) so eh...

This is really sad, I loved those games. >< At least Tycho has confirmed he will try to put out the rest of the episodes as books or in some other med

Other than that, I don't like Penny Arcade's humor, style, or characters (even though this 1920s setting was a big improvement) so eh...

The premise of victorian steampunk supernatural detectives is a big draw to me, in any shape or form.

I liked the premise, the art, the dialogue... most things about the demo. But I hated that it was JRPG in terms of gameplay, which is the reason I never bought the full games.

Maybe they should have made each episode a different style of game? Although that would have pretty much tripled what was already a tight budget I guess.

Ugh, I hate JRPG gameplay (maybe with one or two exceptions, but I can't think of them right now).

*Big sad face*

I really enjoyed these (though they were rather over-priced). I suppose it's not a huge shock - setting up your first game as a four-part episodic franchise is just a little bit ambitious.

Probably best to draw a line under it now - I can't really imagine the story working as a book or even a graphic novel. Nor would I really want it when there's so much more richness in the several mini-series they did recently (Automata for instance).

I had fun with the first one, but the second was just kind of bland. And it had one of the lamest final boss battles of all time. I was looking forward to seeing how subsequent games played out, but lost interest after so much time passed.

And it had one of the lamest final boss battles of all time.

Then you clearly haven't played a lot of games.

Also, I don't think that boss fight was lame at all.

Then you clearly haven't played a lot of games.

Also, I don't think that boss fight was lame at all.

This wasn't lame?

BKbXl53z0Iw

Use enemy slow ability. Use attack buff ability. Use attack. Hooray for you.

It didn't require any strategy, and it barely had any risk. As long as you used the three abilities in that order, you won. Doing them out of order either made the fight take a few seconds longer or (if you were unlucky/bad at pattern recognition) killed you and made you load, after which I'd hope that you could figure it out the second time around.

Oooh noo, it didn't have another too difficult end boss to stop people from actually getting through the game. A tragedy.

the doll fight was only that was only part of the boss battle; and it's still a lot better than Bioshock 2's "boss" fight.

the doll fight was only that was only part of the boss battle; and it's still a lot better than Bioshock 2's "boss" fight.

What BioShock 2 "boss" fight?

What BioShock 2 "boss" fight?

the "boss" consisting of a few waves of splicers and big daddy's

edit: oops, sorry

Edited by elmuerte