Patters

Thumb Fortress 2

that explains the larger-than-usual patch today

I'm in, wife's got photography work saturday & a baby shower sunday - outside of some laundry i'll be firmly planted at the computer

I might make that! Plans are off for the weekend due to horrible horrible cold.

I was online for a while and hung out in the Idle Thumbs Steam group chat, but I didn't see anyone else.  The Halloween stuff goes until Nov. 12 so we can try again next week.

Basically, TF2 released a 15 minute short which featured a visual gag with a shipping container full of ducks that later exploded. Now when you play and people get killed, they drop some ducks. If you have a new item called the Duck Journal that you can buy from the store then you can pick up these ducks and increase your 'duckstreak' as well as level up the Duck Journal. Which are just bragging rights stats, like a killstreak.

I'm just annoyed that the update, which has been a long time coming, is full of nothing but cosmetic crap.  I don't care if people want to engage in trading hats/ducks/whatever, but that doesn't mean I don't want things like new maps or weapons.  I don't feel that I'm owed anything but this update does nothing to make me want to play again.

I agree, and there was an implication that this update was supposed to introduce new things, but I think that the new things were instead added ages back, with the few new weapons and the 2 beta maps.

Plus the duck thing is a terribly transparent money printing device. :/

The Smissmas update was released today and it is pretty great. They added a new game mode that gives everyone a grappling hook and super powers. It is incredibly silly and I am having so much fun. Seriously you guys. Grappling hooks. It's awesome. Go play it.

GRA{{:OMG JOKSD

THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY

GRAPPLING HOOKS

I didn't play the new game mode because I didn't have the beta downloaded, but I did collect some... ducks? Okay.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have the beta client installed to play the new maps, you just have to check the "allow beta maps" in the options somewhere. As far as I can tell, the tf2 beta client is more or less an abandoned project at this point.

Yeah Twig just click the Find Game button (y'know the hardly used alternative to server browser lists?) and enable beta maps and you can even bring up a sub server browsing list of just those maps.

I jumped into TF2 for the first time in a year. The update's new game mode was pretty fun and more than enough reason to play for an hour or so.

Yeah I figured it out. I actually use the Find Game button all the time now since I no longer have a server community to play with all the time. GAF server is long dead, and so is 2fort2furious.

Anyway, as I just said on everywhere: "grappling hook tf2 is the most fun i've had with that game since demoknight was introduced holy moly dudes i am in love"

It is super intense fun when you manage to break in and get the flag and you are grappling all the way back and getting shot at the whole time and you keep changing directions making sure to aim at nearby walls so it's faster than going all the way across the big spaces at once oh man oh geez oh GOLLY.

Oh wow (how did Escalation swing that (congrats!)?!?)!!!

It's actually funny/sad how many people assume Bad Robot has like, in-house game devs, and only address criticisms, etc. directly to them. D':

I've been in the mood lately to play some MvM but I haven't touched TF2 in a while and I'd really rather not get into it with randoms.  Anyone out there interested in playing?

I'd be up for playing TF2 with a group sometimes but I've only played the robot tower defence less than 10 times. Also I didn't buy anything for it, is it still free?

TF2 is still free yes.  MvM has a mode called Mann Up that can only be played if you have a Tour of Duty ticket which is purchased in the store.  Tickets are only used if mission is completed.  Completing Mann Up missions reward you with a drop which may contain special cosmetic items only available in Mann Up mode.  The regular MvM is completely free though.  I have no interest in cosmetic stuff so I'm fine with playing the free mode.