Patters

Thumb Fortress 2

I'm on GMT SuperBiasedMan. Or whatever timezone Cork delcared for themselves. Everyone else is in the US, though i'm not 100% sure about ProblemMachine. We maybe should mobilise the EuroThumbs and see if they would be interested in Eurotime schenanigans some evening.

Would anyone like to try and arrange a time for this weekend?  I am in the US (EST) but I'll stay up/get up at odd hours to play a fun game with cool people.

I don't think I'll be around this weekend, but I have a custom maps MvM server I'd be happy to throw a password on beforehand for everyone to use. The current map rotation is:

mvm_degrootkeep_b1 (medieval mode)
mvm_2fort_b1_3
mvm_manncohq_v3
mvm_diverge_b4
mvm_manndarin_final
mvm_hangtown_v1_3 (+advanced)
mvm_oilrig_rc3 (+advanced)
mvm_isolation_b4
mvm_maelstrom_rc1
mvm_plateau_b5
mvm_sludge_b4_fix1
mvm_ventus_b5
mvm_badwater_rc1 (+2 advanced)
mvm_skullcove_rc1 (wave 666)

Some of them are good, some are not so good, but they should all be at least functional (I think the only one I haven't played is skullcove). If you want to check it out now, it's at 74.91.121.247:27015

I don't think I'll be around this weekend, but I have a custom maps MvM server I'd be happy to throw a password on beforehand for everyone to use. The current map rotation is:

mvm_degrootkeep_b1 (medieval mode)

mvm_2fort_b1_3

mvm_manncohq_v3

mvm_diverge_b4

mvm_manndarin_final

mvm_hangtown_v1_3 (+advanced)

mvm_oilrig_rc3 (+advanced)

mvm_isolation_b4

mvm_maelstrom_rc1

mvm_plateau_b5

mvm_sludge_b4_fix1

mvm_ventus_b5

mvm_badwater_rc1 (+2 advanced)

mvm_skullcove_rc1 (wave 666)

Some of them are good, some are not so good, but they should all be at least functional (I think the only one I haven't played is skullcove). If you want to check it out now, it's at 74.91.121.247:27015

That sounds pretty great actually.  I've never done anything other than the stock MvM maps so it would be awesome to try out some new stuff.

Consider me a EuroThumb for timezone purposes.

Having never MvM'd before, is there anything I should download beforehand?

If you have the latest version of the game, you'll have everything needed to do the standard MvM stuff.  If a server with custom maps (like the one jimtwo has graciously offered) is going to be used, you'll probably have to download the maps first.  The game normally does that by itself when you try to join the server, but I've never tried it with MvM.

Also, if anyone wants any weapons let me know.  I have a lot of spares and what I don't have spares of I can probably craft.  I'm not looking for trades or anything, but I would still suggest we at least trade something for something.  I'm more than willing to just give stuff away but Valve has frowned upon trading something for nothing in the past because it looks shady.  Even a single piece of scrap is fine with me.

If you have the latest version of the game, you'll have everything needed to do the standard MvM stuff.  If a server with custom maps (like the one jimtwo has graciously offered) is going to be used, you'll probably have to download the maps first.  The game normally does that by itself when you try to join the server, but I've never tried it with MvM.

It does work like any other mode, if you don't have the map ahead of time it will download it from the server when you connect. That being said, I usually keep a zip file of the current map rotation handy so people can download them ahead of time if they want. It's a bit out of date right now though, so I'll have to update it tonight.

There's currently a countdown clock on the TF2 blog.  They've been talking about a new weapons update for a while, they even made a blog post about rejected weapon designs (such as the facestab knife).  Hopefully it'll include some new maps for MvM.  Even if it doesn't, can I try and interest people in some bot bashing this weekend?

http://www.teamfortress.com/countdown/suspense.htm

Oh man, I thought I'd replied to this after I flew out of my country. I forgot my laptop's a piece of crap that can only do <20 fps in TF2 (this is when running a MaxFPS config and at the lowest possible resolution) so I can sort of play but I wasn't as motivated to actually organise anything with you guys until I get back to a stable-r desktop. I'm keeping an eye on this update definitely. It's supposed to add a ton of new stuff.

I'm erratically busy for the week so I don't know if I can hop in with people but I'll be around on steam occasionally so possibly? If I'm in, I probably have to play engie so that I don't need to aim or run around at <20fps.

I'm planning on playing TF2 tonight, but it might just be regular TF2, not MvM. Because regular TF2 is much more fun to me. But I don't know. Depends on what the update's focused on, I suppose.

So it's another multi-day update.  Today was an amusing little video (at least I found it amusing) and the reveal of some gestures.  Hopefully the next couple days will have some substance.

I haven't done any MvM before, but I'd like to give it a try (along with regular TF2) if anyone is bored and doesn't mind playing with a rather clumsy soldier. 

That was a long video and was pretty dang good. I love Valve's TF2 story. It's fun.

That video made me want to play some TF2 for the first time in forever. Looked like it was maybe teasing a new Payload based bread boss? and WHAT IF YOU CAN PLAY AS THAT LADY????

Everybody loves some Pauline! I'd totally play as Pauline.

It's not going to happen, but what if part of the love and war update was female character models for all classes. Not going to happen, but it would be fun in light of the "women are too much work" thing.

A new class based on Miss Pauling would be rad, although I don't know how it would work. Maybe a hacker type since she re-engineered the bomb? 

It's Pauling actually.  Miss Pauling to be more precise.  And apparently she was voiced by Ashly Burch of Hey Ash, Whatcha Playin' fame.  Also yes, Miss Pauling is awesome and it would be rad to be her.

Okay I got it even more wrong in IRC and then corrected myself to Pauline, even though I knew it was Pauling because I immediately recognize that as correct. At any rate she's rad.

Also I'm sort of consistently surprised there hasn't yet been an official female model update for TF2. Someone made some a long time ago, following the style guide and silhouette mandate, and Valve even said they liked the models that were created, and yet here we are without any. Maybe Miss Pauling will be the female scout! Probably not...

A rocket that increases in clip size the more kills you get.

I better start playing with this before it gets nerfed.

Also liking the backstabbing scattergun. I need more ways to be an annoying scout.

Team Fortress 2 is dead. Long live Conga Line Fortress 2.

I'm disappointed the update didn't include any new maps, but happy that it wasn't all hats and crap.  I only had enough spares to craft 2 of the new items, the scout and demo weapons.  Played around a bit with the scout one in MvM but I was lagging really bad (I suspect because of everyone playing to get new items) so it was hard to use.  Not a bad choice for MvM though.

Anyway, I'm going to try and play some more this weekend if anyone is interested.  I would prefer to do MvM, but I could probably be talked into a regular game as long as it's a payload map.

Yeah, I was expecting a third day where they'd reveal a map, but it turns out they have another update that'll be the 'End of the Line' update instead. Hopefully that wont be too long because this is the first update since February and that one was all cosmetic stuff I think.