Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

SpyParty

Chris Hecker's SpyParty game looks super promising:

http://spyparty.com/

It's a two player game where one player is a spy and the other is a sniper, who has only one bullet. The spy will have to complete some missions, while blending in among a crowd of NPCs. It's a bit like a Turing test. If the sniper spots that you are a human player, he shoots you and wins. If he shoots an NPC, he loses.

That sounds even more awesome than how awesome I thought The Ship sounded.

I think it's a stark one bullet dead/not dead system, Grip.

This sounds tense and extremely meta. Delicious!

Probably won't be available to us rabble for quite a while though, right?

I think it's a stark one bullet dead/not dead system, Grip.

This sounds tense and extremely meta. Delicious!

Probably won't be available to us rabble for quite a while though, right?

I think it was said it will be completed in a couple of years... So yeah a long time to wait.

PS. I forgot to link to where I read about it:

http://www.destructoid.com/why-you-need-to-be-excited-about-spyparty-167171.phtml

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/03/hands-on-spyparty/

Strangely it doesn't appear to have been mentioned anywhere here that SpyParty is going into paid beta. As far as I'm aware the idea is that it will operate like Minecraft, generating some revenue as it develops into a release version.

The link I gave will allow those of you that haven't already to sign up for access in the beta. You don't have to pay now, but the developer is asking that only those that think they'll want to buy the beta sign up for participation.

I think there could be some great Thumbs multiplayer possibilities!

I signed up for that list, because damnit, this sounds amazing. I've been reading his 'dev blog' for a while now, and I like how he thinks and it approaching this game. (Much in the way that I'm enjoying Andy Schatz's [Monaco] dev vidoes.)

So yeah, I'd be up for this at some point if other thumbs do such things.

I just got into the SpyParty beta! Who else is currently in? My username is gwardinen and I'd be glad to have Thumbs to help me learn the game.

Well I'm sitting in the lobby occasionally looking for games. I'm in there right now, in fact, but there are only two other people online right now and they're playing each other. I am a sad third wheel. :sad:

I registered for the beta over a year ago now and haven't gotten in yet.

I just signed up. Hopefully I'll get in soon. I've been interested in this ever since I heard Justin McElroy talking about it years ago on the Joystiq Podcast. Seems like it would be much more interesting playing it in the same room as your opponent but I'll give it a shot.

Does anyone else have access to this and fancy playing it? It's been literal years since I did and some of the levels and characters are all fancy now and I'd quite like to get back into it. I never got particularly far to begin with, so you don't have to be James Bond (actually James Bond would be terrible at this).

I have a copy, but I've only played about 3 matches total as I keep thinking "I'll just come back to it when it's actually released." Now it seems like this is one of those games that will be in perpetual beta, so maybe it's worth jumping back in. I'm prettyunsmart in the game also.

I bought it last PAX prime for my wife and I, but haven't had a chance to fire it up for longer than "yup it works."

I have it, I got in during the closed beta and played it for a while but it was so intense I stopped for a bit and never really got back (which was silly, it's a fantastic game and it had an amazing community, it seems it should still be the case)... I'm open to playing it some time.