Scrobbs

Would YOU pay money to play games with girls?

Steed?

John_Steed.jpg

On reflection, I probably would pay specific girls to play video games with them. (If I had a, y'know, time machine and all).

But, still, only if she came over to my house, not this over the internet malarkey.

I only ever turn into internet asshole when people would start getting racist on Call of Duty. My brother and I would start acting like the whitest, most pretentious Ivy-league stereotype imaginable making fun of those assholes.

Have you played any multi player Left for Dead on public servers? The kids playing that are some of the most bigoted racists I've ever heard. I don't take offence myself (being a white boy, I wouldn't) but some of the comments are pushing it really far and gets pretty uncomfortable, I'm not sure I'm happy that kids (I'm 32 so under 20) readily use the word 'nigger' day to day. Maybe the word has a different weight and overtone due to my age but it's still not a great state for online gaming to be in. Bullying, which is what this boils down to, has no place on 'my' internets.

It should be a leveller, if you can afford a DSL line you should be able to play, un-harassed and without feeling the need to be anything other than yourself.

Have you played any multi player Left for Dead on public servers? The kids playing that are some of the most bigoted racists I've ever heard...

Been there done that... (I am LevatorAni)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951160&highlight=racism+left+dead

Here too...(broke down into what laws are based on, and there was better support for my argument. I am ac3144)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/102606-25-racism-online-gaming-feel

I think what annoyed(s) me is that in effect, I paid to listen to racist shit and could really do nothing about it except leave the server. This was ok to a point, but then my experience diminished by having to leave or being forced to leave.

I also get very annoyed when people claim that being a racist fuckwit is somehow their absolute right and retreat behind the shield of free speech. SOMETIMES I JUST HATE PEOPLE I am aware of the irony in that statement :grin:

Incidentally, I would be interested to know whether you agree with my argument regarding the basis of legislation etc. Do you think I am correct in what I say?

I'm not sure I'm happy that kids (I'm 32 so under 20) readily use the word 'nigger' day to day. Maybe the word has a different weight and overtone due to my age but it's still not a great state for online gaming to be in. Bullying, which is what this boils down to, has no place on 'my' internets.

I very rarely play online games, particularly those with voice chat, or whatever, but I agree. It's really stupid, and annoying. I really hope I'm not giving more credit than is due, but I really believe there's no sincerity to their idiotic racial slurs. I suspect they're just displaying their gonads to the world, in case you missed how obviously tough and manly they are. You know.

Although, is it really any worse now than it's ever been? That's just an internetty "thing". Maybe voice chat just makes it that much more in your face.

Why would I pay a woman to play with me when I can easily use the computer to just make a woman to play games with?

I very rarely play online games, particularly those with voice chat, or whatever, but I agree. It's really stupid, and annoying. I really hope I'm not giving more credit than is due, but I really believe there's no sincerity to their idiotic racial slurs. I suspect they're just displaying their gonads to the world, in case you missed how obviously tough and manly they are. You know.

Although, is it really any worse now than it's ever been? That's just an internetty "thing". Maybe voice chat just makes it that much more in your face.

I've hung out with some pretty offensive people in various guilds and whatnot. I can basically guarantee none of them actually care if you're black or gay or female or whatever-the-fuck. In fact, there was often a black dude or a woman or a whatever-the-fuck around laughing along with those people. (I know not if any of them were gay, though!)

Not saying it's "okay" - just pointing out that, at least in my experience, there's no real HATE going on. It's just a bunch of people shootin' the shit. It personally doesn't really bother me, but at the same time I don't talk like that, either, so. X:

Incidentally, I would be interested to know whether you agree with my argument regarding the basis of legislation etc. Do you think I am correct in what I say?

For me any nature of discrimination, sex, ethnicity, gaming ability etc. is a problem. I'd prefer the online 'experience' to allow us all to do what we want without the risk of being a victim of any type of bullying. If we reach a point where users (read customers) are avoiding games or associated communities because of the discriminatory behaviour of the community as a whole, then the game industry is heading for trouble.

The only way I see that this type of behavior will change is if the community as a whole stops readily accepting it as part of gaming and actively discourages it. It seems that banning users from servers is really the only pro-active way achieve this; behave in an acceptable manner or your gaming experience will be curbed.

This type of wall garden approach concerns me too, but witch is the lesser evil?

I have no answer to this, I can only vote with my feet and this is one of the reasons I haven't bought and played L4D2. Personally I don't find much of the online 'bullshit' offensive, some of the things I hear are distasteful but I accept that we are all different, it's the ten years of using the Internet that has given me a thick skin and a health dose of scepticism. The fact that the casual racism and bullying behaviour doesn't shock or surprise me any more is sad and I have no faith that the following generations of users will see this as unacceptable.

I worry that online gaming and it's 'freedom of speech' is going to be it's own undoing, alienating users and limiting appeal.