Sombre

Spelunky!

How much have you played of it, may I ask? I don't think I'm a slouch when it comes to platformers, but it still took me almost 50 hours before I finally beat Olmec. Slow degrees of improvement. A failure where you learn a lesson should be viewed as a success.

Glad to hear you're warming to it. You sounded a little cool on it in some other posts.

For the first time in ages I booted up Spelunky and tried the Daily Challenge.

Started off well, I got a shotgun from a crate in 1-1!

...and I died in 1-3.

How much have you played of it, may I ask? I don't think I'm a slouch when it comes to platformers, but it still took me almost 50 hours before I finally beat Olmec. Slow degrees of improvement. A failure where you learn a lesson should be viewed as a success.

Glad to hear you're warming to it. You sounded a little cool on it in some other posts.

Probably less than 3 hours. The vita doesn't track your time spent. 

I was rather cool on it, I think I heard it talked up so much, in so many places before I finally tried it and immediately sucked real bad at it. I'm really not that good at platformers in general, so < 3 hours probably isn't enough for me even to get a good grip on it.

Edit: I believe I have 40-ish deaths. 

One of the chief joys of Spelunky is finding those things out for yourself, through natural play *ahem*

(not that I didn't watch the odd hell run to give myself a bit of extra insight :P)

Yeah, I discovered that you could whip arrows by mistake.

Towerfall has loads of small systemic interactions that make it similar to this too.

Probably less than 3 hours. The vita doesn't track your time spent.

I was rather cool on it, I think I heard it talked up so much, in so many places before I finally tried it and immediately sucked real bad at it. I'm really not that good at platformers in general, so < 3 hours probably isn't enough for me even to get a good grip on it.

Edit: I believe I have 40-ish deaths.

Are you unlocking the shortcuts or doing the daily?

Just loaded this up... how long has the menu screen spear had a little alien hanging from it?

Doing the daily.

You know it bro, I'm just doin the daily.

Doing the daily.

In order to unlock the shortcuts you have to do specific challenges. Don't ask what they are, they are fun to find out about.

If the daily was available when I started playing Spelunky I think I may have had frustrations similar to yours, but the difficulty of unlocking the shortcuts is a nice slow ramp that kept me going early on.

I started playing Spelunky again after a couple months of hiatus. Still so good. I hit a new milestone by finally getting the plasma rifle in the alien ship. I love that weapon!

For someone just getting into the game, I would not recommend the daily.  In order to learn about the game, you need to do dumb stuff, take risks, and experiment.  The single try nature of the daily isn't good for that.  It would probably be ok as a final run in a given session, but not as a learning experience for someone unfamiliar with a lot of the game.

Also the shortcuts can't be unlocked in the daily, nor can any new characters.

Wrong! you can unlock characters in the daily. I have done it. For example, The Jungle Warrior can be unlocked simply by beating the game.

Wrong! you can unlock characters in the daily. I have done it. For example, The Jungle Warrior can be unlocked simply by beating the game.

I think you're right about some of them.  I think the ones that just randomly spawn in coffins don't show up, but then again I may just be assuming that because I've never seen it, even after essentially starting over by playing on a new computer.

I find that when I take short cuts I suck and die fast. I need those mine levels to get the extra health!

The shortcuts themselves aren't that helpful, but the tasks required for unlocking them are nice pre-Olmec goals to set while learning the game.

And yeah it's just the random coffins you can't unlock in the daily. Guys like Van Helsing are always there.

Yeah I've started to do the non-daily after I've done the daily. Also, whipped my first arrow. Felt like a god!

Played Spelunky for the first time in months last night, did it co-op with my wife.  It's funny, we have never made it as far together as we have individually playing solo (I've beat Hell and she's beat Olmec, but never made it to Hell).  We're lucky if we can get out of the jungle together.  It usually rapidly descends into a comedy of errors where one of us makes a split second reaction to something that spirals out of control getting us both killed.  Our best run last night we were successfully robbing the black market and only had a single shop keeper left to kill to get the Ankh.  Slapped a sticky bomb on him, and the next thing we knew he had jumped out of the pit and was in the middle of us exploding before either of us could get out of the way.  There were also several shotgun and boomerang incidents that ended runs before that. 

So much fun though, we always end with giggle fits when it goes so wrong. 

Oh!  And for everything that I thought I knew about this game, I still discovered something new last night.

The orange explodey frogs turn into regular frogs if they jump in the water.

Bastards, aren't they? And the frogs can spring extra far in water, which has caught me out a few times. I've played with my gf Cara a few times, but we seldom make it out of the mines. Perhaps it's just not meant to be...

The orange explodey frogs turn into regular frogs if they jump in the water.

For an added bonus

If an orange frog is stunned and about to explode, then falls into water it's turned into a blue frog and totally revived, able to jump out and attack you again.

I have been on a long break from this. My main laptop broke a while ago and haven't had the motivation to boot up the 360 version for ages. The other day I did and... I suck. I used to be good! I swear I did! Now I am making all sort of mistakes. 

I always get really, really sad and have a small moment of silence whenever I die on the first level or really early on. As it's random, I will never see that same world again. It's gone forever. I think on ahead to levels below and wonder what wonderful opportunities I have missed. Perhaps this could have been IT, this could have been the golden run, this could have been the high score, but with one tiny lapse of concentration I slip and I am impaled on some spikes. Dead. All those possibilities and opportunities gone in an instant.  All those gems and possible diamonds; all those exhilarating close shaves; all those fun flights with the inevitable jet pack; all those kisses from the rescued pugs; all those fun times with playful yetis are gone. Lost. Like tears in rain.

Just like real death!

Yeah. But what a forgot to say was, after that brief moment of silence I just hammer X and launch right back in!

I somehow teleported inside of a block that was part of a shop and not only survived, but destroyed the block without even triggering the shopkeeper.

EDIT: wait, no, I'm an idiot. That block was just always missing. D'oyyyyy

WqlyVge.jpg