Sombre

Spelunky!

I've always associated Spelunky with Rogue Legacy. Both fill the same place in my interest, but I've found I still play Rogue Legacy and forgot about Spelunky pretty fast (in comparison).

I've actually started playing Rogue Legacy again lately.  But with Rogue Legacy, I grind through the game until I get all the items and upgrades, then quit after NG++ (which is about where I am right now).  I think the furthest I went last time was NG++++.  Spelunky I've found more compelling because even though I've also seen everything in that game, there isn't a hard ceiling like there is in Rogue Legacy.  Also, you know, the Daily Challenge and whatnot.

I like to do the daily when I have spare time, which hasn't been much lately. I find the fact that a game at most takes 45min comforting for sure.

Necrodancer looks cool, but I'll probably wait until it's finished to pick it up.

I am interested in Necrodancer.  I saw it at PAX once, they had the dance pad out of course.  Money's kind of tight for me right now though, so I'm stuck Spelunking.  There's a Daily Challenge type thing in that game too right?

I've actually started playing Rogue Legacy again lately.  But with Rogue Legacy, I grind through the game until I get all the items and upgrades, then quit after NG++ (which is about where I am right now).  I think the furthest I went last time was NG++++.  Spelunky I've found more compelling because even though I've also seen everything in that game, there isn't a hard ceiling like there is in Rogue Legacy.  Also, you know, the Daily Challenge and whatnot.

I beat the first boss last night for the first time. I'm completely awful at it, but for some reason I just love it. I'm equally bad at Spelunky though.

Whatevs, its all about Necrodancer now.

Hahaha!

Seriously, I want Necrodancer so much, but Spelunky is still giving me so much joy that I'm not ready to move on. I've told myself that when I bag the last two achievements (for me, speedlunky and co-op win) I'll quit playing, but that's bullshit. I'll defo be back for the Daily, just not all the time.

I beat the first boss last night for the first time. I'm completely awful at it, but for some reason I just love it. I'm equally bad at Spelunky though.

That first boss win is amazing. I think after that, it's a case of diminishing returns. I completely stomped the end boss and just felt emotionally void, whereas every time I beat Hell in Spelunky I feel great. Not saying Rogue Legacy is a bad game, but.

I might pick up Spelunky again, I find that it's most fun on my Vita. I just find it really demoralising because I usually fail to get past the forest. I think I've only ever seen the ice caverns once or twice.

Can the boss in Spelunky murder you with

A ZOMBIE CONGA LINE

?????????

Really though, Necrodance just scratches the same itch as both Spelunky and Legacy did for me. If you are more into Spelunky than I was, then i don't think Necrodancer will fully satisfy you in the same ways that Spelunky does, despite being a hilarious fun adventure. It is also very well put together for an alpha. I would have assumed beta if I hadn't been told, though I've only played the first 2 acts.

SAM: Right now it has a hardcore seed mode. Some people on GWJ forums are playing the same seed to compete. Not 100% sure about a daily, but I'm going to assume it will make it in there before long, if it isn't there already.

Nice.  Beating a boss is pretty satisfying because of the amount of work you have to do to get there.  I dislike the boss remixes though.  I feel like they throw away what makes the game interesting by forcing you into a very specific situation.  I get the idea behind creating new challenges, but I dislike the loss of agency.  Also I suck at them despite having beaten the game several times.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else besides me still doing the Daily Challenge every day?  Or, you know, playing at all?

I'm not very good at it and I don't think I really have the patience to learn. I only have so much room for "easy to learn, hard to master" type games in my life, and I've been playing a lot of FIFA world and Dota 2 recently.

SAM: Right now it has a hardcore seed mode. Some people on GWJ forums are playing the same seed to compete. Not 100% sure about a daily, but I'm going to assume it will make it in there before long, if it isn't there already.

It's got a Daily Challenge as well as the seeded mode.  I took it that the seeded mode is for organized speedrun competitions and whatnot that might need more than one unique run a day.

I really dropped off Spelunky once I beat Hell the first time.  I keep meaning to go back and do more co-op, but there are always other games to play. 

My favourite thing about Spelunky at the moment is that for months I've seen my friend playing it obsessively in the evenings on Steam. I asked him about it one day, and it turns out it is actually his fiancee who is playing. She has never played a video game before (and probably never will again), yet has beat Olmec and is working on Hell. 

My favourite thing about Spelunky at the moment is that for months I've seen my friend playing it obsessively in the evenings on Steam. I asked him about it one day, and it turns out it is actually his fiancee who is playing. She has never played a video game before (and probably never will again), yet has beat Olmec and is working on Hell. 

That happened to me about a month ago.  Someone on my Steam friends list who used to play Spelunky all the time but stopped earlier this year was suddenly playing it again.  Turned out it was actually his girlfriend playing it.

I still play it basically because it's a game that really hits the spot for game feel of having an enjoyable run around as the character and a constant presence of relative challenge (even though I beat hell and have no particular goal aside from usual daily challenge and getting some achievements I guess?).

The only person from my friends list I see on the daily challenge board is actually you SAM, and in my head it's just been like a narrative of a rivalry thing where I'm so out of practice and far behind I don't even register on your radar. I ruined that though when a pretty average run happened to beat your score.

I feel like I should play other games, but it's just so easy to pick this up for a little bit, rather than try a new game and only get a short period with it, knowing that it wont feel as nice as Spelunky even if it has stuff to offer me.

The only person from my friends list I see on the daily challenge board is actually you SAM, and in my head it's just been like a narrative of a rivalry thing where I'm so out of practice and far behind I don't even register on your radar. I ruined that though when a pretty average run happened to beat your score.

I don't see a lot of people on my boards after I finish a run mostly because I usually do the challenge as soon as it resets and I don't usually bother looking back at the last one to see if anyone else did it.  So it's not that I'm ignoring anyone, I just don't see them pop up.  I've been taking bigger risks in dailies lately to spice things up since if I play conservatively I can beat Hell almost every time.

Heh, I actually dislike ghosting.  I generally don't aim for a high score on purpose because I find score to be an uninteresting goal.  I'll do stuff like rob a vault or get an idol because of the extra challenge involved in doing those things, with a secondary benefit of increasing my score.  I will ghost gems if I happen to stay in a level long enough for the ghost to spawn but I almost never wait around long enough to spawn a ghost if I have nothing left to do.  When I say bigger risks, I mean stuff like leaping before I look, using lots of bombs/ropes to get things I don't necessarily need, cooking off bombs, whipping arrow traps even though I can trigger them safely, taking almost every alternate path (e.g. the worm, castle, mothership), etc.

I don't see a lot of people on my boards after I finish a run mostly because I usually do the challenge as soon as it resets and I don't usually bother looking back at the last one to see if anyone else did it.  So it's not that I'm ignoring anyone, I just don't see them pop up.  I've been taking bigger risks in dailies lately to spice things up since if I play conservatively I can beat Hell almost every time.

I didn't mean to say you did, it was just my meta mental narrative that I was this out of practice underdog cause when I went back to playing after such a long break, you consistently topped my scores.

Yeah when I was playing every day I found myself doing the alternate routes more as well. Especially the mothership because you get that sweet blaster from it. Of course it usually killed me on the next level...

I didn't mean to say you did, it was just my meta mental narrative that I was this out of practice underdog cause when I went back to playing after such a long break, you consistently topped my scores.

If it would help your narrative, I could start sending you taunting messages and generally acting like a cheesy 80s villain.

YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT MY HIGH SCORE!  BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

If it would help your narrative, I could start sending you taunting messages and generally acting like a cheesy 80s villain.

YOU WILL NEVER DEFEAT MY HIGH SCORE!  BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Can you grow a moustache that you twiddle as you laugh?

SecretAsianMan sends me a command to defeat SuperBiasedMan's score on the daily. I send him one back saying "Sure boss."

SAM then sends a message to SBM saying "Your attempts are futile! My minions will defeat you!" Then when I die in 1-1, SAM sends us both a message saying "AGHHHH! Do I have to do everything myself!"

I should really start playing Spelunky again.

I never really WANTED to quit, but life got in the way and I never got back. I dunno. Should I? Hmmm.

I have been playing Spelunky almost every day on my Vita for the past 8 months. It has become a terrible, wonderful obsession. I still play other games on the consoles, but this is a daily constant, something to do after work or before bed. I am bad at it, but am finally seeing improvements. I beat Olmec for the first time about a month ago, and now have made it to Yama a few times, though I haven't defeated that final level yet. Baby steps. 

PSN: casparnic, XBLA: casparnic, Steam: casparnic