Sombre

Spelunky!

I remember hearing something about the Daily Challenge seed creation algorithm thingamajigger changing in the Pro HUD update? I might also just be pulling shit out of my ass here, as I cannot cite any sources, and I'm too lazy to go digging around right now.

ps. I beat Yama once again in the Daily today, huzzah. Seems that the red turban man is my lucky character. The teal milk-/postman guy is the exact opposite, damn him.

Congrats! That Teal guy (I think of him as a boy scout) is my character. I love him so.

I've started doing a few speedrun tries a day. It's a pretty fun switchup for the slow, methodic daily/adventure runs.

Congrats! That Teal guy (I think of him as a boy scout) is my character. I love him so.

I've started doing a few speedrun tries a day. It's a pretty fun switchup for the slow, methodic daily/adventure runs.

Ditto on both points. Sometimes I do a few speedruns (until I make it to the jungle) before my daily. The scout is also my favorite.

I made a post in a different thread about how the altar works and I started wondering if you could get 2 items from Kali (besides the kapala).  So I decided to try it out.  Bottom line is you can't.  I sacrificed a damsel on the first altar I found, then blew it up.  I then proceeded to scour every level after for an altar and all the bodies I could harvest.  I had to go all the way to hell to gain enough favor, but the next item I got was the kapala.  I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else, but it was a fun little experiment.

After months of failure, I'll reveal my personal goal. I've been trying to get a snowball to hell for a while. The problem is that snowballs are relatively rare and when I use the ankh, I can't take an item through the door. If anyone else can do it, I pass the torch onto you. I'm hoping a message pops up that says "What are the chances?" or something like that.

I've seen that idea proposed before.  It's got a lot of the same difficulties as a solo eggplant run with what is likely to be no payoff.  I would be extremely surprised but also stupidly happy if it actually did something.

Speaking of goals, I just got the Low Scorer achievement. And it got me thinking that it's pretty weird that there's no "Beat the game without taking damage"-achievement.

The Metroid mod for Spelunky was officially released a couple weeks ago.  I tried it out tonight.  It's really well done.  Everything scares me now because I have no idea what the enemies or items are since they've all been reskinned.  It's like a weird Jason Bourne thing where I have these skills and general knowledge but no memory of my surroundings or enemies.  It's quite fun.

http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=dnci62cr7oilpck865h9jhdae5&topic=4342.0

I've been playing some multiplayer spelunky with my friends. It is wacky and hilarious, especially since my friends are new and have no idea of the peirls that await. My finest moment so far was to let my friend sacrifice the dead body of his fiancée and immediately pick him up and sacrifice his still beating heart to kali. Good times.

I've been playing some multiplayer spelunky with my friends. It is wacky and hilarious, especially since my friends are new and have no idea of the peirls that await. My finest moment so far was to let my friend sacrifice the dead body of his fiancée and immediately pick him up and sacrifice his still beating heart to kali. Good times.

My wife and I have played a ton of co-op, and some of the funnest times are when it would devolve into us trying to kill each other.  We also had one evening of racing each other, scoring a "point" for whichever of us made it to the exit first.  We agreed that both people had to stay on screen, so it created a kind of "rubber band" effect like some racing games use.  I think the farthest we ever made it was 2-1, but lordy was it fun. 

I've been playing a fair bit of co-op with my 4 year old daughter. She's got some game. We've made it to the ice caves a couple of times. The only problem is she's scared of the wildlife and spikes/tiki traps, at which point she will just launch her controller at me for me to take over. With spikes etc it's not so bad, because i can jsut carry her past the obsticle, but with bats or spiders, it can get tricky. She also insists on always rescuing the dog, so I'm rarely above 4 health. It's such a joy though, she's just so into it.

Oh, over the weekend, she also completed a jungle level solo. I can't tell you how proud that made me.

That's dead impressive for a four year old. I always think of Spelunky as a game that requires serious dexterity, but I'm probably just a bit crap at it :P

Dexterity is one thing, but there is also a lot of thinking that has to go into passing a level in spelunky! That is amazing for a 4 year old, and just another reason that the upcoming generation terrifies me.

Yeah, I was pretty amazed. I mean, she got a pretty good 'roll' in that it was a fairly straightforward level (by which I mean fairly 'quick-dex' light, with traversal requiring more pathfinding than split second timing, for the most part), but I was still impressed at watching her navigate it, and realising when she hit the exit that I hadn't helped her out at all.

Mainly though the whole experience is just so gooey for me because she’s four. How much gaming goodness awaits us both? :)

Today was a good day for (more or less) Spelunky related things for me. First, I beat the 2048 Spelunky edition and just now I got the Speedlunky achievement. 5:43 was the final time and the only item I got (besides extra bombs) was the spike shoes.

I did terribly in the Daily, though.

Inspired by a Bombcast from a few weeks back, I have started utting 25 cents in a savings account every time I die in Spelunky, starting yesterday. Let's see how much I accrue by this time next month!

Well, after 456 attempts, I finally beat Spelunky the easy way. And I did it on a daily. Took me a level 2 Jetpack, climbing gloves, a Mattok on Level 3 thanks to the snake pit, which gave me enough cash to buy the Ankh (no pissing off shopkeepers for me). There was a very generous amount of bombs in Olmec's Lair, which helped though I would have gotten it done without them, I think. Needed the Ankh though - in the ice caves, a mammoth froze a flying saucer which fell on my head. Would have been superpissed if that had ended the game.

Words cannot express how proud I feel. So, so happy.

Congrats!  Such an awesome feeling when you beat Olmec the first time. 

At my office a co-worker was plink-plink-plinking something against his desk.  As I walked closer down the hall, the plinking got more insistent.

I did not find the entrance to the Black Market, however.

At my office a co-worker was plink-plink-plinking something against his desk.  As I walked closer down the hall, the plinking got more insistent.

I did not find the entrance to the Black Market, however.

Did you try blowing up the co-worker's desk?

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else besides me still doing the Daily Challenge every day?  Or, you know, playing at all?

I play probably every day, but for some reason never the Daily Challenge. Probably because I always play with the aim of it being quick, and the Daily Challenge would force me to concentrate. I also haven't gotten much better recently, still working on getting to the City of Gold, but I always fuck up somewhere and lose the Ankh before I need it in the Ice Caves.

Game is awesome for "I have 20 minutes to play a video game" -type situations.

I've always associated Spelunky with Rogue Legacy. Both fill the same place in my interest, but I've found I still play Rogue Legacy and forgot about Spelunky pretty fast (in comparison).