Sombre

Spelunky!

Making my first non-"New People" post to say that it looks like the Chris sprite sheet needs a proper death sprite.

The dead sprite is the one all the way to the right in the top row. His eyes aren't closed for it, so he just kind of lays there and thinks about everything he did wrong when he dies.

...Though I suppose that could be intentional and I'm just out of the loop.

Apparently there is at least one new secret thing in this patch:

a sloth damsel!? I don't want to look it up yet, I might find it naturally but it also could be something super random or obscure.

Apparently there is at least one new secret thing in this patch:

a sloth damsel!? I don't want to look it up yet, I might find it naturally but it also could be something super random or obscure.

ya, I doubt you'll find it naturally:

All you do is click the dog portrait a ton in the damsel select menu and it changes to the sloth. Not all that satisfying

Woe is me. The update caused a major FPS drop / stutter for me. If I'm next to the edge of the level, it runs perfectly smoothly, but once the screen starts to move my FPS maybe halves and stutters. Makes timing things extremely difficult as you might expect.

I haven't delved too deep into trying to fix it yet, but I did try to switch back to the original HUD, as well as turn down the effects etc., but no dice.

Even though I purchased this on my PS3, I could never find the time when I'm sitting at home in front of the TV (the TV gets a lot of traffic in my shared apartment), but I only own Macs. Then I realized that I had gotten CrossOver in a Mac software bundle, and it turns out it's pretty easy to install Spelunky through PC Steam using CrossOver! And it runs great! I'm using an SNES-style USB controller remapped to the keyboard, and I'm really happy with how snappy it is. 

Well, got the 500k achievement in a night of attempts. All that's left are completing the journal (I have finished it on the Vita, just need to do the fish again on the PC), 1000 plays, and co-op. Definitely going to do co-op legit with my girlfriend and not carry someone - we've already managed to get to Olmec, but got crushed.

I tried to quit after getting Low Scorer, as that seemed like the last of the difficult/interesting achievements, but nothing could fill the Spelunky-shaped hole in my heart explorer's hat.

Woe is me. The update caused a major FPS drop / stutter for me. If I'm next to the edge of the level, it runs perfectly smoothly, but once the screen starts to move my FPS maybe halves and stutters. Makes timing things extremely difficult as you might expect.

I haven't delved too deep into trying to fix it yet, but I did try to switch back to the original HUD, as well as turn down the effects etc., but no dice.

That's weird.  I feel like I had the exact opposite happen.  The game ran fine before, but after the update everything just seems a bit quicker and smoother.

I still have the same bug on Windows 8.1 where I can't manipulate fullscreen/windowed or resolution while the game is open. I was hoping it'd be fixed, but it wasn't. Figured out that I could just do that stuff in config.txt, but it's clearly not as intuitive as one would hope.

Love the Pro view. Makes it so much easier to determine if I have enough time to backtrack for corpse sacrificing on an altar or ghosting. Also no more missed critical items in the top left corner of the screen, hooray.

I like the Pro HUD, but there are 2 things I wish I could change.  I wish I could turn off the timer.  I don't want it completely gone, just an option to hide it.  I understand the motivation for having it, but I personally dislike how I now know exactly when the ghost will appear.  I think it was more fun when I wasn't sure and the ghost's unexpected appearance added more tension. 

The other thing is I don't like how small the eye is now.  I've almost missed it blink more than once.  Maybe it's something I'll get used to but it was easier to see before.

I like the Pro HUD, but there are 2 things I wish I could change.  I wish I could turn off the timer.  I don't want it completely gone, just an option to hide it.  I understand the motivation for having it, but I personally dislike how I now know exactly when the ghost will appear.  I think it was more fun when I wasn't sure and the ghost's unexpected appearance added more tension. 

The other thing is I don't like how small the eye is now.  I've almost missed it blink more than once.  Maybe it's something I'll get used to but it was easier to see before.

I can see what you mean re: the timer, too bad it's not a separate toggle. Re: the eye, I mostly use the auditory signal so the respective smaller size hasn't bothered me. I feel like 9/10 times I really don't need the eye to actually find the door, more to note that the door is actually in a particular level. I've only missed the Eye in the mines a couple times in recent memory, and every time I've managed to find the Black Market nonetheless.

I really like the pro hud but for that timer. I've decided not to use it until they make that a separate toggle, assuming they ever do.

I usually listen to old episodes of the podcast while playing, so I have the game's audio turned way down.  Sometimes I'll not hear the eye's sound at all, but the visual cue was easy for me to see on the old HUD.  I'm sure I'll eventually adapt.

I usually listen to old episodes of the podcast while playing, so I have the game's audio turned way down.  Sometimes I'll not hear the eye's sound at all, but the visual cue was easy for me to see on the old HUD.  I'm sure I'll eventually adapt.

Yeah, I listen to podcats too, I don't even listen to the spelunky audio when I play. I've missed the new eye blink because of that, but I think it'll just be something new to get used to.

I need advice, y'all. I'm not sure how to proceed in Spelunky, which has become the only game I play on my Vita and the thing I'm pouring the most time into even though I'm also finishing up other games on the console and PC. 

I've set up all the shortcuts, and I can reliably kill individual shopkeepers. I can sometimes get the Ankh and escape form the Black Market, but I haven't made it out of the Temple yet. I want to get to Hell, but I don't feel like I'm making any more progress. How did people get further in the game? I'm assuming that it simply comes with practice . . . 

Ya I hit the same wall a while back. It was super frustrating. 

I think it comes down to the fact that there are a number of difficult to quantify skills that are necessary to progress, and only come from practice and experimentation in a bunch of different situations that are going to come along.

To that end, I'd recommend not setting Yama as your goal, but just try to do a few runs a day without getting frustrated, and try to narrate to yourself in your head what your thought process is in approaching each situation, and never run blindly into things and get panicked. That really helped me get out of some bad habits and helped me slow down and develop better situation analysis.

Also, watch a few Bananasaurus Rex videos on youtube. That guy really opened my eyes to some stupid ideas/habits I had built up. Eventually you just get that combination of a lucky seed and the right mindset and it feels great.

It's a fairly big spike in difficulty, and taking a lot of bombs helps. Blowing shortcuts through the temple levels often makes them much easier, and when it comes to shopkeepers waiting by the exit, there's usually either something nearby that kills them, or enough space that they run off and give you an opportunity to get in the door.

Watching the temple parts of other people's dailies helped me most.

Taking a break for a few days did wonders for me. As my knowledge of the game increases, I start overthinking situations and coming up with much more daring and difficult solutions than what I can actually pull off. A few days off makes me more cautious and clear my thoughts again.

It's a shame that not every achievement made its into the Vita version. Would've been good training (easier than beating Yama, but harder than Olmec).

Whew. I managed the key run on Vita today, so am finally rid of tunnel guy. I'd assumed I'd need to fluke and get a jetpack to do it, but found the ice caves pretty manageable with just climbing gloves; especially when my only goal was the exit. I think a hell run is the only main thing I'm yet to try.

Today's PC Daily Challenge resulted in my very first visit to Olmec AND I killed him. I...feel pretty good about myself right now. If I had remembered to kill myself in the ice level with the Moai head, I would have been able to unlock the city of gold (I got to the black market, stole the ankh, and even killed anubis for his scepter), but I instead was more worried about rogue shopkeepers, angry that I had pilfered a shotgun early on.