Sombre

Spelunky!

Huh, I had never seen that, had to go searching.  It's a charm.  Only decorative, but pretty neat looking.

An embarrassing death on the Vita daily today: Got to Olmec, cleared the top of the level, then fell onto him forgetting to open my cape, taking my last point of health.

Some speedrunners might actually prefer having fixed seeds to play. I think the AGDQ run of Minecraft this year was from a fixed seed that all the Minecraft speedrunners practice on.

Someone made a compilation video that I always secretly wanted. Super super good.

https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/426781121494253568

Oh and in other Spelunky news: Andy Hull writes on twitter: "The new Spelunky update contains a couple added features, but is mostly bug fixes. The biggest addition is a less intrusive HUD option."

https://twitter.com/StoryFort/status/426851476062085120

That video is incredible.

I got really excited about that update, until I realized that it was probably just for the XBLA version.

The update is for PC, Douglas Wilson and Noah Sasso of Sportsfriends just streamed them playing the new version, since it's not archived on Twitch I took some sceenshots.

There's some minor changes and bugfixes (full changelog is not revealed yet) but the biggest additions are the pro HUD and run on default (RT for walking). The new HUD is small and compressed, for example Ankh is over the heart and cape and jetpack do not show on the HUD because they are visible on the character. Also there's a level number and timer and even a special icon to show if the run is a daily challenge or not. There's no release date yet, but should be soonish.

post-26597-0-64655800-1390623082_thumb.jpg

Sweet!  I just saw that the tweet was from the programmer on the XBLA version, and assumed it was for that.

And thanks for the pics!

It's about time someone put an end to the reign of terror of the Spider of the Top Left Corner of the Screen.

Cool beans, that HUD looks good. However, I think having a timer will have a much bigger impact (for me at least) than someone might initially think. I can just see it now:

"Okay, there's 20 seconds before the ghost shows up. Do I go back up and try to sacrifice this corpse? ... I'll do it!" And then, in a hurry and half-panic, I'll carelessly run into a tiki trap or some spikes.

I kind of like measuring the time by my gut (like americans with their imperial measurement system, HAH!) and by trying to keep track on how the music loops. I'll probably disable the timer if that's possible.

Totally agree about the timer. A lot of the tension comes from not being completely sure when the ghost will show up on you. Otherwise it looks great. I'll certainly use it despite my complete lack of pro-ness.

I kind of like measuring the time by my gut (like americans with their imperial measurement system, HAH!) and by trying to keep track on how the music loops. I'll probably disable the timer if that's possible.

Yeah, the timer is a pretty big addition... I also think it's interesting how you have to try to keep track of time in your head, but I guess you can plan your explorations more safely in the future (I hope there's an option to have the new hud - timer, but I doubt it).

Someone suggested a great feature on that stream: If you make too many stupid mistakes and die a lot, the PRO HUD turns back to normal.

I used to track the ghost by musical queues.  I don't need the timer but I sure would like that hud.

I just discovered something new... again. Regarding the destruction of Kali's altar.

Apparently, in my 100 or so hours of play, I have never destroyed two of Kali's altars without making a sacrifice. Did y'all know about this?

I just discovered something new... again. Regarding the destruction of Kali's altar.

Apparently, in my 100 or so hours of play, I have never destroyed two of Kali's altars without making a sacrifice. Did y'all know about this?

Only from the solo eggplant run, there's a unique property to the ball and chain that was necessary to successfully pull that run off (it can destroy any block, including the unbreakable blocks around the Moai statue). And I don't think it matters whether you've sacrificed or not. I think destroying 2 alters in one run, no matter what you've sacrificed, will result in getting the ball. In the solo eggplant run, he sacrifices some things early, and still gets it on his second alter destruction.

I discovered that too today :)

Gah.

Was about to walk through the door to Hell for the third time ever in today's challenge, fully kitted out with 30+ bombs, jetpack, shotgun etc, but upon landing on Olmec's head a magma man pushed me into the lava.