Sombre

Spelunky!

Doesn't look realistic. Health 14?! yeah right.

Kapala and royal jelly make this easily possible, though I think the most I've had before fucking up is 11.

Christopher Livingston re-imagines Spelunky as a text-adventure.

Those are hilarious.  My fav:

sptext8.jpg

I had no idea. THIS GAME!

File this under: "Advanced techniques that it is unlikely I will ever have the opportunity to use"

Kapala and royal jelly make this easily possible, though I think the most I've had before fucking up is 11.

I've heard of the Kapala... but I have no idea what royal jelly is.

Playing once per day doesn't help in figuring out all the little things in the game.

I used to run with this dude all the time, because he has the most contented look on his face. It's like no matter how badly you screw up, he's having a good time. He doesn't judge you for being imperfect.

XBLA_C16.png

But then I unlocked this character, and she's just awesome, so she's my main now.

XBLA_C14.png

That's the lady I use as well Rodi, i had her first.

Also, there is a few frames on her, and sometimes they make me wonder if it isn fact a portly man with dreadlocks.

Also, i think the Spelunky spell is broken on me.

This goddamn demo. I want to get the full thing, but I'm on a tight budget.

Side note: I've been playing as green girl and appreciate the fact that it doesn't auto-default the damsel to the Chippendale dancer model or anything. I can just play as a gay character. Super rad.

Now that I've seen that technique is a thing, I'm going to do it every time that I'm going for a hell run so I can get sufficient practice for faster, non-cheesy hell runs.

I can confirm that you can't unlock characters in the daily! I went back to the castle level in a regular run and unlocked Van Helsing. Now I'm going to replace my daily Spelunky daily with a normal run until I get them all.

So today I finally broke 500,000 gold but it doesn't reflect on the leaderboard because Steam keeps crapping out due to the Holiday Sale.  Does anybody know if there is a way to refresh on the leaderboard?  My score appears on my "Personal Best" and in my screen caps but that's about it.

YhBIEPy.jpg

So today I finally broke 500,000 gold but it doesn't reflect on the leaderboard because Steam keeps crapping out due to the Holiday Sale.  Does anybody know if there is a way to refresh on the leaderboard?  My score appears on my "Personal Best" and in my screen caps but that's about it.

I can't help you, but congrats! Did you have to ghost to do it, or was the city of gold + previous money sufficient on its own?

Congrats, but I don't know a way. I'm frustrated in the same way on Vita, my PB is 350K but it won't upload to the leaderboards because the connection had crapped out when I set it.

I can't help you, but congrats! Did you have to ghost to do it, or was the city of gold + previous money sufficient on its own?

In 1-2 I got a pickaxe and got a bunch of early gems.  I didn't start ghostrunning until I robbed the black market where I stole a jetpack.  By that point I had around 50 bombs and another pickaxe.  I then used the ghost on all subsequent levels getting every gem possible.  I actually got to 500k before reaching the city of gold in 4-2.  Unfortunately after killing Anubis 2 I forgot that I was a wanted man and I was gunned down at the exit.

It's not the end of the world that my score doesn't get logged.  I only have one Steam friend that seriously plays Spelunky.  I just want to bask in my achievement and it just annoys me.  Speaking of achievements I only have two left:  Low Scorer and Good Teamwork.  I'm wondering for the latter if I can just create a 2nd character and carry him through all of the levels.  I don't know anyone local who cares enough/ is good enough to help me out with it.

Doing Good Teamwork solo is pretty easy, carrying (and sometimes controlling) a dummy player is a fun challenge in itself. Low Scorer though... that was the most hellish achievement in the game for me. It's an interesting reversal of the usual goals but it can also feel quite unfair and luck dependent (like gold pieces completely hidden behind leaves/snow/sand). Curiously Low Scorer seems to only exist on the Steam version (?).

For new players I'd say don't worry about beating the game or getting further every time, for a long time playing Spelunky is just learning, exploring and experimenting with stuff. If you are willing to pay attention for long enough you will get better and start to see what an amazing and unique thing this game, that at first seems so basic and familiar, really is.

Also very excited for Chris's GOTY write-up.

Doing Good Teamwork solo is pretty easy, carrying (and sometimes controlling) a dummy player is a fun challenge in itself. Low Scorer though... that was the most hellish achievement in the game for me. It's an interesting reversal of the usual goals but it can also feel quite unfair and luck dependent (like gold pieces completely hidden behind leaves/snow/sand). Curiously Low Scorer seems to only exist on the Steam version (?).

For new players I'd say don't worry about beating the game or getting further every time, for a long time playing Spelunky is just learning, exploring and experimenting with stuff. If you are willing to pay attention for long enough you will get better and start to see what an amazing and unique thing this game, that at first seems so basic and familiar, really is.

Also very excited for Chris's GOTY write-up.

I haven't full-on tried for Low Scorer yet.  I would occasionally mess around dodging money when I was going for my speed run just as a break.  I usually die somewhere in the Jungle because of it.  You can't aggro the shopkeepers because they spray money when they die.  You can't buy anything because you are broke.  It's rough.

***Edit****

Down to my last achievement.  Low Scorer.  Don't know if I'll ever manage it, but full completion might fulfill my Spelunky obsession.

I got so close to Speedlunky last night. I was in 4-2 with cape, shotgun, compass, a handful of bombs and ropes and 5:12 on the rope. I ran into a bomb shop, which made me ECSTATIC, as I could afford two big bomb boxes. Then I stupidly threw a bomb from within the shop to kill a tiki trap, which (despite not actually touching anything in the shop) angered the shopkeeper and ended my run. :(

At least I successfully unlocked the Robot last night. I only have one coffin character left, plus the big fish to finish my journal.

Ahh sorry.  I've had a lot of experiences like that.  Also when I was working toward Speedlunky I did get stunned by Olmec last minute and left his door around 8:10 which bummed me out.

The fish was a pain to get into the journal.  I just swam toward it and had it kill me.

Woohoo.. I learned more stuff today. Oh yeah, I died obviously.

Patrick Klepek did his first Spelunky stream today.  He hasn't been playing very long and he's been avoiding learning about the game in advance so his reactions are interesting.  At about the 29 minute mark he gets to the temple for the first time and has no idea what to expect so everything is new to him.  Also headphone warning at about the 39 minute mark.

Welp, just had one of my most Spelunky-ass Spelunky runs ever. 

Was doing an adventure mode run trying to get the shotgun to the Tunnel Man so he could unlock the ice caves entrance. I'm doing really good, I have a cape, shotgun, spike shoes, 5 health, and tons of bombs. I figure I would go to the black market since the eye was blinking right as I got onto 2-3 and it would be shorter. So I get into the black market looking at the items, suddenly a boomerang guy spots me, aggroes a shopkeeper and I'm dead.

I've laughed at most of my crazy unexpected deaths but since this one was tied to a goal I had set I just kind of sat there looking at the screen for about 10 seconds in disbelief. 

Looking back, getting the shotgun to the tunnel man was relatively easy. If you start out in the dungeon, there's a high chance you'll encounter a restless dead level, which has a guaranteed shotgun:

in the grave marked by «ASH» rather than «RIP», bomb it to get it.

Then it's a matter of carefully sidling down the ice caves. If you're careful, I find that's never too hard.

Got Speedlunky yesterday! Finished the game in 6.11.102, which kind of proved to me that I was going way faster than I needed to.

Now I have one more character to unlock, and I can finally go back to doing daily challenges. I wish you could find coffins in them.

Congrats.  Speedlunky was the worst for me so far and I was nowhere near 6 mins.  Which coffin do you need to unlock?

This is the first time I feel like Spelunky was being kind of a dick. And it was all going so well too.

Losing the scepter was totally my fault, but man that death was brutal.