Sombre

Spelunky!

I'm all about black pirate lady. Before that I usually went with contented dude or eskimo guy.

I used to run with this dude all the time, because he has the most contented look on his face. It's like no matter how badly you screw up, he's having a good time. He doesn't judge you for being imperfect.

XBLA_C16.png

But then I unlocked this character, and she's just awesome, so she's my main now.

XBLA_C14.png

I'd like to be your good friend. Little dude in green is one of my favorites also. When I'm in the vestibule, I usually jump around merrily a couple times before heading into the caves.

Also the purple girl character looks like indie game developer Anna Anthropy. I wonder if it's deliberate.

Purple girl makes me think of Velma, which just makes me react to everything in the game in Shaggy's voice in my head for some reason.  Like, "Oh geez gang, there's a spooky ghost coming!"  Or when I spot a damsel, "Oh, a Scooby schnack!"  While entertaining, it's also distracting, so I don't play her. 

I prefer the Viking, because then it makes the game feel like a lost sequel to The Lost Vikings, aka the best game Blizzard ever made. 

XBLA_C18.png

God, now I just want a Scooby Doo game in the vein of Spelunky. Except with mysteries and every level ends with you pulling a mask off a dude.

That's no ghost! It's Mr. Yu, the mine administrator!

And I'd have got away with it too, if it weren't for you darned kids and your precision platforming abilities!

I used to play as the Buddha because it helped control my rage.  Whenever Buddha died and I was feeling a surge of anger I could just step back and think "WWBD?"

Now I play as Yang because I went to so much trouble unlocking him.  Meat boy is pretty great too.

What's funny about the above conversation is that you do technically unmask King Yama.

Has anyone had an issue where characters are not unlockable? I haven't seen a coffin in hours and hours despite still missing Lime and Purple. Worse, when I go to the Castle and break the coffin, I always just get hired help, even though Helsing isn't unlocked.

So I tried the demo of this for the Vita and... I think I need to buy this now.

Damn you to hell, Spelunky.

So I tried the demo of this for the Vita and... I think I need to buy this now.

Damn you to hell, Spelunky.

In Spelunky, you dream about going to hell. 

Has anyone had an issue where characters are not unlockable? I haven't seen a coffin in hours and hours despite still missing Lime and Purple. Worse, when I go to the Castle and break the coffin, I always just get hired help, even though Helsing isn't unlocked.

Nope, but is there any harm in just deleting your save file and starting over?  Or at least backing it up and seeing if it's corrupted?  If you've managed to get good enough to unlock multiple characters and shortcuts, it's not like you won't be good enough to do it again.

I've had characters behave erratically on vita: At first, it started normally, then after a few days playing, the golden monk, robot, ninja, and viking had all unlocked despite me not getting them, and in some cases not even getting to the relevant levels.

After 400 or so deaths, I still occasionally find coffins though. I only just unlocked the round boy yesterday.

Are you only playing dailies?

I suppose I am! Can you not unlock characters in dailies?

I suppose I am! Can you not unlock characters in dailies?

I don't believe you can.

I think you can. I've been mostly playing dailies, and I've unlocked a bunch of characters. Especially the guy you unlock for beating the game, I only beat the game once, and this was during a daily.

OK, I finally played the PC version and it does seem slightly different from the Vita one? For one, it seems these coffin characters are already unlocked. 

Is the pyramid/temple different? I could swear there was mist in mine... Maybe the graphics are a bit different or maybe it was a special instance of that level?