Sombre

Spelunky!

That is fantastic Bjorn. Delivering the third item feels like beating the game.  

Thanks!  Tonight my wife was messing around while I was finishing up some work, when I heard her screaming "Holy shit! Holy shit! Holy shit!" from the living room. 

She had accidently found the Worm level, which neither of us knew existed. We knew about the city of gold, hell and the mothership, but had no clue about getting swallowed by a worm. Which was epic, I'm glad that she found it not having any idea it existed.

It floors me how many good experiences this game delivers.  We've had more memorable and fun moments with it than pretty much any AAA title this year.

Finally breached the City of Gold.  Died there horribly, but I made it at least.  Only one location left.  The big one.

Also if you haven't, take a picture of the ghost with the camera.

If anyone thought unlocking the Temple shortcut was hard, Davey Wreden (creator of The Stanley Parable) posted this great Spelunky Vine yesterday:

https://twitter.com/HelloCakebread/status/399250902227623937

Everything I've even known is being questioned in my mind, rapidly. This is such a powerful piece of art for someone who knows what the Stanley Parable's tone is and who has played a ton of Spelunky. Luckily, I am one of those people and I was fortunate enough to be shown this, by you. It hit hard, like a wrecking-ball.

Everything I've even known is being questioned in my mind, rapidly. This is such a powerful piece of art for someone who knows what the Stanley Parable's tone is and who has played a ton of Spelunky. Luckily, I am one of those people and I was fortunate enough to be shown this, by you. It hit hard, like a wrecking-ball.

It really is incredible. Vine is just the perfect medium for it, too, it's like a three-act play squashed into six seconds.

Today I reached the city of gold for the first time. I got really lucky rescuing damsels early on, so I arrived at the black market with tons of health, and made my first ever successful robbery of it; I think at one point I actually survived a shotgun blast. I kind of blundered through the rest until reaching the golden door, and only got inside with a handful of bombs left. Grabbed the book without remembering that it spawned Anubis II, took him out with my very last bomb, and thought I might be trapped until I found another crate. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough bombs to dig a wide enough pit for Olmec, and got crushed trying to tempt him into digging his own. My 199th death, so close to Hell!

This game :violin:

I have no idea what that means. I haven't even seen what's after the jungle.

Yeah, it does require a good understanding of the game. For those who have that, the deadpan lack of explanation makes it funnier; don't read on if you plan to learn more yourself.

The key is found on a random level in the first world, where it's usually used to open a specific chest somewhere in the same level. It can be annoying enough just managing to do that, since you can't carry anything else (rocks, damsels, etc.) while holding the key.

Later, once you get past the third world (ice caves) enough times, you find out that the tunnel man wants you to bring that key as the final ingredient to unlock the shortcut to the fourth world. This is way more annoying and difficult than opening the chest, since you have to carry it through a minimum of 9 levels. It's a big deal when you finally unlock that shortcut; as clyde mentioned earlier, it feels like beating the game.

In the Vine, Davey brings the key all the way to the tunnel man, only to deny his request, and continue carrying it all the way through the fourth world, which is a lot harder than any of the others. He beats the final boss and walks through the door to freedom still carrying the key. The joke is that it serves absolutely no purpose; he did it all out of sheer perversion (thus clyde's comments about the tone of the Stanley Parable).

Totally unrelated, this jump (by @BananaRex) is pretty unbeatable for sheer death-defying luck:

dodge.gif

Yeah, it does require a good understanding of the game. For those who have that, the deadpan lack of explanation makes it funnier; don't read on if you plan to learn more yourself.

The key is found on a random level in the first world, where it's usually used to open a specific chest somewhere in the same level. It can be annoying enough just managing to do that, since you can't carry anything else (rocks, damsels, etc.) while holding the key.

Later, once you get past the third world (ice caves) enough times, you find out that the tunnel man wants you to bring that key as the final ingredient to unlock the shortcut to the fourth world. This is way more annoying and difficult than opening the chest, since you have to carry it through a minimum of 9 levels. It's a big deal when you finally unlock that shortcut; as clyde mentioned earlier, it feels like beating the game.

In the Vine, Davey brings the key all the way to the tunnel man, only to deny his request, and continue carrying it all the way through the fourth world, which is a lot harder than any of the others. He beats the final boss and walks through the door to freedom still carrying the key. The joke is that it serves absolutely no purpose; he did it all out of sheer perversion (thus clyde's comments about the tone of the Stanley Parable).

I was actually misunderstanding it a bit.

I thought that Davey Wreden had unlocked an  alternate ending,

implying that we had all been fooled by the Tunnel-Man. After how hard it was to

bring the key to him, I would never have considered refusing the request. I

wouldn't imagine anyone else would refuse the request (unless you are the kind

of person that makes the Stanley Parable) so the possibility that

there was an ending no one had seen seemed possible. I couldn't decide if

Spelunky had yet another secret, or if Dave Wreden had created a

believable hoax.

Case in Point now that I've examined Latrine's post.

http://spelunky.wikia.com/wiki/Eggplant

Totally unrelated, this jump (by @BananaRex) is pretty unbeatable for sheer death-defying luck:

dodge.gif

That's amazing!

After my glorious unlocking of the temple shortcut, I have made no progress.  The Temple is just wrecking me.  Have only seen Olmec once, and that didn't last long.

Earlier tonight I watched a daily challenge video for the first time.

Holy shit I am terrible at this game by comparison.

Also I couldn't stop watching.

After my glorious unlocking of the temple shortcut, I have made no progress.  The Temple is just wrecking me.  Have only seen Olmec once, and that didn't last long.

Yeah, I discovered soon after unlocking it that the temple shortcut is actually very close to useless. You really need sticky bombs, and more than 4 of them, to get very far at all in there.

Also BananaRex did it. He may be the first person to have truly beaten Spelunky.

I'm watching with the sound off at work, so maybe it's explained, but why is he jumping around like a moron and specifically avoiding picking up money?

Because all he cares about is completing the eggplant run. Which was amazing to watch, particularly the ghost on 5-2, getting through the ridiculous exit on 5-3, and the number of close calls he has during the fight with King Yama.

Yeah, but he takes the time to whip the money out of the way instead of just running through it. It just seems wierd.

It's a commentary on life in the fast lane. What if you are so fixated on making eggplant that you forget about the important things in life, like gold and rubies?

I'm watching with the sound off at work, so maybe it's explained, but why is he jumping around like a moron and specifically avoiding picking up money?

Warning: mechanical spoiler that might make your runs irritating or longer depending on how easily you're tempted to min/max games.

He's killing time until the ghost appears. When the ghost passes through a big gem, the gem turns into a diamond worth a bit more money if you haven't already picked up any gems before it arrived. It's apparently called Ghostrunning.

Also BananaRex did it. He may be the first person to have truly beaten Spelunky.

Christ almighty, I watched this entire thing. It was the most amazing Spelunky run I've ever seen. Fuck.