Sombre

Spelunky!

I wonder is it worth opening a thread in multiplayer to encourage people?

There's only one [Edit:] two ways to find out.

There's only one way to find out.

...hire a firm to perform some market research and assess the feasibility of such a thread in relation to costs and effort spent versus usefulness?

There's only one [Edit:] two ways to find out.

Done! On the thread anyway. I didn't hire anyone.

Had a great run (for me) on my warmup, only died in the Jungle because about eight bees and a queen decided to ruin my day. Then promptly died a mundane death in 1-2 during the challenge.

I just bought it yesterday and, despite being pretty good at the original Spelunky, had let my skills lapse to shit. Also, killing shopkeepers is way harder now than it was in the original. They used to very predictably run straight out the door after you steal something, making it very easy to time a jump on their had. Now they jump around a lot in the shop like assholes. DANG. Might have to only steal for now if they actually have a shotgun for sale. D:

EDIT: Here's a thing I need to know, though. How the fuck do I enable controller support for the main menus. I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Odd. My xbox controller works grand on the menus. Make sure the controller is turned on before launching?

It's always plugged in. Also, I can use it only for the second player. Won't let me use it for the first player.

EDIT: WHOA. I remembered that the green light on the controller actually meant osmething. For some reason, it was only set to "player two". Unplugging it and plugging it back in fixed it. MAN. Well, whatever, all works now.

lol died before getting any gold

I USED TO BE GOOD AT THIS GAME WHAT HAPPENED

It is possible to kill shopkeepers fairly consistently. There are a few ways I know of.

The easiest is when they're selling a weapon that will stunlock them. Shotgun, machete, and freeze ray are the best. Haven't tried a boomerang in a while but that might be riskier.

Another easy way to do it, that is borderline exploit and will cost a bomb and a rope, is to pop a rope up right at the exterior of the shop then pick up an item without paying for it and climbing up the rope. This will make the shopkeeper come outside. Then you put the item down next to him and now you can place a bomb outside the shop but right next to him and he won't notice until boom.

The next two methods use less resources but are much riskier and can get you killed. One is that you can just whip the shopkeeper, you'll take one damage (from him throwing the shotgun I think?) but he'll be stunned just long enough that you can pick up the shotgun and start shooting him. You can also avoid taking damage by jumping and whipping him and if the timing is right you'll jump on his head as he starts going wild, but this can easily backfire. If you're trying these methods it may help to whip some of the items away so you can be sure to pick up the shotgun, just don't whip a mystery box. Climbing gloves in particular can ruin the jumping trick.

having watched many dailies I decided to try spelunking for myself

I learned that bomb frogs are diffused into your bog standard blue frog by immersion in water! (the most worthless spelunky knowledge)

What are you guys using to record?

Also, awesome frog knowledge!

I learned that bomb frogs are diffused into your bog standard blue frog by immersion in water! (the most worthless spelunky knowledge)

I wonder if blue frogs become red when they jump into flame. If not, they should.

Very cool. I think I'm going to start uploading my challenges too, though not sure how much of an audience there'll be for a guy that dies in 1-2 regularly.

Uploaded my first stream. Did reasonably well by my standards, though it ended badly. Doesn't it always...

(I don't know how to embed video here...) 

What are you guys using to record?

Also, awesome frog knowledge!

Camtasia for video and Audacity for voice.

Audacity is stellar because a quick Effect > Noise Removal gets rid of the ambient static that plagues pretty much every amateur voice recording.

Uploaded my first stream. Did reasonably well by my standards, though it ended badly. Doesn't it always...

(I don't know how to embed video here...) 

its just video /video in brackets !

I'd suggest using ropes (up) or bombs (down, in a pinch) to trigger traps, but your method of superhumanly whipping the arrow out of the air was way more badass

"I'm gonna take the compass, because I'm a baby gamer."

You may wish for more skills at Spelunky, but your skills at speaking while playing Spelunky are top-notch. I'd love to see more!

I used to hate the very idea of rogue-likes. I want to be able to finish what I started and not lose all my progress if I die. Still, I decided to give Spelunky a try because of all the praise and because the gameplay looked quite fun. To my surprise I'm really loving-hating-loving this game. I suck at it, of course, and often get frustrated with myself while playing it. Nevertheless, I can't help but fire Spelunky up after work to try the daily challenge and a couple of normal runs after that. I think I will keep my sessions short because I found that my enjoyment of the game sags after an hour or so of playing.

Finally beat Olmec for the first time yesterday on my Vita. Don't think I'll go for Yama.

Funny how I used to balk at the idea of killing a shopkeeper and now black market massacre is part of my every run.

its just video /video in brackets !

I'd suggest using ropes (up) or bombs (down, in a pinch) to trigger traps, but your method of superhumanly whipping the arrow out of the air was way more badass

Thanks! I'll do that next time. That ridiculous whipping of the arrow was pretty fantastic, I'm not going to lie. Just nuts.

"I'm gonna take the compass, because I'm a baby gamer."

You may wish for more skills at Spelunky, but your skills at speaking while playing Spelunky are top-notch. I'd love to see more!

Thanks man, nice of you to say! I had fun doing it, and it felt much less awkward than I expected. I'm going to keep it up for a while anyway. 

Oh my God. What a bloody disaster my run was tonight. I love this game. There's something wrong with me.

Haha, that was a hilariously disastrous run but I enjoyed your commentary. Also enjoyed watching someone with a vaguely similar skill level to me (by which I mean, someone who hasn't done 10,000 runs already and makes me lose the will to play by how blindingly proficient they are... no offense). If I could offer a criticism it'd be that the game sound, particularly the music might be a little too loud. I never really had trouble understanding you, but I had to focus a bit sometimes if you were talking softly.

Cheers. Yeah, I think I turned the sound back up a bit in between recordings and forgot. The crazy thing is that it wasn't going all THAT badly at first, but I felt "off" the entire time. It must be incredibly frustrating to be off if you're actually decent.