Sombre

Spelunky!

Watching those Tom Francis videos is becoming part of my morning routine. His streams are great because even when he doesn't verbally articulate it (his commentary is good though), you can usually grasp whatever issue it is he's deliberating on.

Speaking of Tom Francis, he recently set up the new Spelunky Explorers Club (formerly here) for the compilation of daily challenge runs. My favourites to watch so far have been Tom Francis and Anthony Burch. It's interesting to see how their polite rivalry plays out, to the point where they're now starting to influence each others playstyles.

The convergence of play styles is definitely interesting, when I watched the most recent video that was up this morning Tom mentioned some sort of vine climb trick. Any idea what that is referring to?

That fan art is appropriate for the daily challenge from this weekend where all the shopkeepers in the black market went ballistic (still not totally clear why). That was a good day of Spelunkying.

The convergence of play styles is definitely interesting, when I watched the most recent video that was up this morning Tom mentioned some sort of vine climb trick. Any idea what that is referring to?

He was talking about Jason Killingsworth, so my guess would be that he was referring to this: 

That fan art is appropriate for the daily challenge from this weekend where all the shopkeepers in the black market went ballistic (still not totally clear why). That was a good day of Spelunkying.

I think a red frog may have exploded in a shop. I almost survived that level.  :P

Yeah, I was in a black market level once where I watched the "slow-motion trainwreck" of a snail spitting an acid bubble into a shopkeeper.

Yeah, Chris' video was entertaining. I enjoy both Chris and Tom's videos because of their delight in mayhem.

If anyone has seen Tom Francis get to hell, it was amazing! I didnt even know that world existed, and I have played spelunky for a good 50 hours

I have been playing Spelunky a lot lately so I wanted to write something meaningful about it. But then I found a great quote from spelunkyworld.com  -

"Spelunky looks like a game of execution, but it's really a game about information and decision making. How good are you at looking at a situation and understanding what it means? You can't memorize, and you can't take time to carefully analyze, you must rely on your literacy of the system..."

- and made a Spelunkymeetsthumbsfanartgif instead!

post-26597-0-24388900-1379997630_thumb.gif

I have been playing Spelunky a lot lately so I wanted to write something meaningful about it. But then I found a great quote from spelunkyworld.com  -

"Spelunky looks like a game of execution, but it's really a game about information and decision making. How good are you at looking at a situation and understanding what it means? You can't memorize, and you can't take time to carefully analyze, you must rely on your literacy of the system..."

- and made a Spelunkymeetsthumbsfanartgif instead!

Oh my god amazing.

That belly button is so gross.

Chris, your spelunky exploits are giving me my fix these evenings as I lie in bed sleeping off my cold. You seem so sincere.

Day two of daily challenge. I died on 1-1. Highlights include getting hit my own rock and missing a two tile jump and landing on spikes.

I got to the City of Gold for the first time today during a warmup then got to Hell and Yama for the first time in the daily challenge (Oct 6th). Unfortunately despite having around 20 health pre-Olmec, a shortage of bombs meant I had a hard fight against him and just kept hemorrhaging health. A vampire dropping down from the ceiling did me in.

I got to the City of Gold for the first time today during a warmup then got to Hell and Yama for the first time in the daily challenge (Oct 6th). Unfortunately despite having around 20 health pre-Olmec, a shortage of bombs meant I had a hard fight against him and just kept hemorrhaging health. A vampire dropping down from the ceiling did me in.

That's awesome.

I ended up in the haunted castle for the first time today and I really enjoyed that novice feeling of being afraid to move. I hadn't seen a new level in a while.

It gets better upon repeated viewings, when you know what's coming and the futility of the whole endeavor kicks in.