gdf

Plug your shit

If you're looking for a particularly specific and esoteric podcast, a friend and I are responsible for Never Repeats - a chronological review of every New Zealand fiction feature film. We started with everything made in 1977 (when yearly film production took off) and have been moving forward year-by-year. We're currently up to 1983.

The structure typically involves us covering one film per episode, doing an in-depth critique of the film itself, talking about the production history, the backgrounds of the primary cast & crew, and discussing where it fits in the overall history of NZ film, as well as how you can see it today.

And we do mean every film, even those that were never released on home video. You can dip in and out to hear us dissect the more famous movies - those that received big international releases like Goodbye Pork Pie, Sleeping Dogs, and Smash Palace - or listen to each episode to discover the history behind films so obscure even many New Zealanders haven't heard of them, such as Skin Deep and Squeeze.

So if you've got an interest in film history, or just like hearing people talk in detail about obscure movies, give us a listen! We're on iTunes, and there are links to RSS feeds and such on our website, as well as a list of all the films we've covered so far. At the moment we're in the middle of a three-part discussion of the infamously expensive TV mini-series The Governor, as a prelude to our discussion of Geoff Murphy's Utu coming up next month.

On 28/01/2017 at 4:23 PM, twmac said:

Wow, haven't been on here for awhile, congrats on getting books done guys!

I got my first ever paid article gig for a travel site:

http://www.outpostmagazine.com/articles/996-songkran-thailand-is-a-water-fight-worth-fighting-in

Not as big a deal as the stuff you guys are working on but I am a little proud.

Great article! I'm not normally keen on travel writing but the novelty of this one hooked me in and then the quality kept me reading. Hopefully this is a great boost to your resume and more places will look to publish you soon.

On 2/5/2017 at 4:00 AM, Thornycroft said:

If you're looking for a particularly specific and esoteric podcast, a friend and I are responsible for Never Repeats - a chronological review of every New Zealand fiction feature film. We started with everything made in 1977 (when yearly film production took off) and have been moving forward year-by-year. We're currently up to 1983.

The structure typically involves us covering one film per episode, doing an in-depth critique of the film itself, talking about the production history, the backgrounds of the primary cast & crew, and discussing where it fits in the overall history of NZ film, as well as how you can see it today.

And we do mean every film, even those that were never released on home video. You can dip in and out to hear us dissect the more famous movies - those that received big international releases like Goodbye Pork Pie, Sleeping Dogs, and Smash Palace - or listen to each episode to discover the history behind films so obscure even many New Zealanders haven't heard of them, such as Skin Deep and Squeeze.

So if you've got an interest in film history, or just like hearing people talk in detail about obscure movies, give us a listen! We're on iTunes, and there are links to RSS feeds and such on our website, as well as a list of all the films we've covered so far. At the moment we're in the middle of a three-part discussion of the infamously expensive TV mini-series The Governor, as a prelude to our discussion of Geoff Murphy's Utu coming up next month.

Planning on watching Scarfies?!

14 hours ago, YoThatLimp said:

Planning on watching Scarfies?!

You bet! Though we probably won't get to it for several years. Like I said - we're watching everything - and it's going to take us a while.

A couple years ago, a few of my friends and I started a podcast called the Bad F'n Gamers. Unfortunately, life got in the way so we haven't been able to upload anything in almost a year, but all the episodes are still on the website. Other than that I stream on twitch which I also haven't been able to do until I find an apartment of my own.

I've spent a year building a scheduling site for gamers that should make scheduling and signing up for matches a lot easier.
http://ruingaming.io

This has mostly been a 1-man effort so I'd love to hear any feedback you guys might have. It's basically an online calendar + signup sheet for games. This is what a typical event might look like:
http://www.ruingaming.io/#/rooms/589ce2afcb082b000456baef

The cool thing about it is it'll show you who has that game on that platform and what their availability is (adjusted to your timezone).
roominvite.jpg

If you invite someone, it'll email them with the details. If they join, you get an email notification. No digging through forum posts. I've also created a group for Idle Thumbs:

There's no catch or cost. I'd be happy to answer any questions or give a walkthrough if you PM me.

On 06/02/2017 at 4:16 AM, SometingStupid said:

Great article! I'm not normally keen on travel writing but the novelty of this one hooked me in and then the quality kept me reading. Hopefully this is a great boost to your resume and more places will look to publish you soon.

Cheers! To be fair it is a credit to the editor as he made me hack apart my original article. He focused on the positive aspects of Songkran and made me cut out some of the social commentary and/or irrelevent parts of it  (for example I went into how a lot of this holiday gets subverted by holiday makers and becomes an excuse to party hard - too hard).

Anyone who has read the original and second draft pretty much says that this was the best one.

Anyway, thank you for reading.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:20 AM, Spenny said:

My game Monumental Failure launched today on steam.

Here's the trailer:

The game has single player mode, 2-4 player split screen versus, and 2-4 player local co-op. I think co-op mode is where the game really comes alive.

Monumental Failure started it's life as my entry for Winter Wizard Jam (Wizard Jam 2), so its roots are in this community. Thanks to everyone who has been encouraging me along the way. 

Oh Nice! I'm glad I took a look in here, I'll buy it for my 4 player gaming party that I'm having in a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Oh Nice! I'm glad I took a look in here, I'll buy it for my 4 player gaming party that I'm having in a couple of weeks.

Hey thanks. I think you'll find it makes for a great warm up game.

This video was made a couple of months ago, but it is 2 likes away from having 69 likes, so I hope you folks can check it out and decide if it is worthy of the sex number.

Okay but more seriously, it's an episode of the now-cancelled Australian tax-payer funded esports spinoff youtube show, Good Game Well Played, featuring yours truly and my partner in organising Splatoon tournaments in Sydney. The show was cancelled at the end of January, and as such we were in fact the last guests to ever feature on it, which is somewhat bittersweet. Splatoon and esports in general is something I'm quite passionate about so I was very grateful for the opportunity to be on the show. It didn't have the biggest exposure (especially outside Australia), but I was a big fan of it and was rather upset when the Australian Broadcasting Corporation made the decision to cancel Good Game and its youtube spinoffs.

I just released Dr. Fizzgigious' Fantabulous Carbon Dating Simulacrum on itch.io and Steam Greenlight.

It's about Dr. Fizzgigious, a scholar who likes carbonated drink and ancient artifacts, his passion collide when his latest carbonated concoction brings ancient artifacts to life!

It's kinda educational and kinda a romance game? The artifacts will quiz you a little.

I was hoping it will make at least enough money to give my next game it's own soundtrack and not another Incompetech one? -_-

Not my shit, but if you are at all interested in body positivity or movies my partner has a blog where they write essays on fat characters in film called Consistent Panda Bear Shape and I may have promoted this before but I forget and, anyway, they just did an article on the two Magic Mike movies I think is good, so you should check it out. The essays are lightly academic but with a real sense of humor.

Here's some shit I'm working on! It's a personal project. A little animation of four memorable computers from my childhood. BBC Micro, IBM XT, Mac Plus and Macintosh Performa 5200. I've finished the rig for the screens and am now gonna work on animating between the different keyboards. Wish me luck! :tup:

EUtlkOQ.jpg

eRllvjn.gif

So in July I'm going to be returning with Season 2 of Tracks of the Damned, my horror film commentary track podcast, but I've set up a fundraiser in the meantime to try to raise money for charity.

I don't know if anyone here has listened to the podcast or would be into it (a podcast you sync up with a horror movie you watch at home is a very niche thing, I know) but if you are interested, the details are all right here.

So far I've raised 132 dollars for the ACLU, International Rescue Committee, and the True Colors Fund, which is 132 dollars I couldn't afford to donate myself, so I'm pretty happy about it.

If you are curious about my podcast, I was able to post an episode on YouTube with the movie already synced (because Carnival of Souls is a public domain film) so you can check it out here:

The film itself starts at 10:14.

14 hours ago, MechaTofuPirate said:

I just published a D&D module meant for 1st level characters. It's free so check it out if you like D&D

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/210591/The-Ancient-Tomb-of-Phandalin?src=newest_in_dmg

I need to read this thread more often because I didn't even know about that Monumental Failure game until now and it looks cool

Sweet, congrats! I'll definitely check this out. 

I recently fell down the rabbit hole of the Lego CAD world! So after some tries, I finally got an optimized way of importing .ldr files into Cinema4D for rendering in Octane Render. So, these models aren't mine, they're all downloaded from ldraw.org, but I've done materials/lighting and rendering of them which is a *bunch* of fun!

IgTjZb7.png

Nkzg9LN.png

GDag8i8.png

And a Lego particle test!

Fv19mND.png

4 hours ago, BigJKO said:

I recently fell down the rabbit hole of the Lego CAD world! So after some tries, I finally got an optimized way of importing .ldr files into Cinema4D for rendering in Octane Render. So, these models aren't mine, they're all downloaded from ldraw.org, but I've done materials/lighting and rendering of them which is a *bunch* of fun!

I could look at these forever

Thanks! :tup: At this rate I might keep making these forever, it's too much fun!

Here's a quick dynamics simulation on the Star Destroyer, just for fun. It's glitchy with a bunch of bricks bouncing around erratically trying to escape the blocks whose simulation didn't trigger, but it looks rad!

I'm trying to learn video making, my problem is I don't really have many good ideas for storyboards for micro length films. This time I accidentally stumbled upon some birds flying and a cat and tried to conjured something up in editing...

I finished my second ever video essay yesterday. It's still not that great, but I'm pretty happy with the improvement from the first one.

I finished my first text adventure after years of writing other stuff: https://paulenn.itch.io/archive-dive

The best description I could come up with was: Archive Dive is an exploration through the records of a powerful, obtuse, and mildly incompetent global organization tasked with preserving reality as most people know it. The body of the game focuses heavily on themes of weirdness, violence, humor, the humor that can be found in violence, and the way in which some things just never work out.  Many of the characters are from my works of traditional fiction, but the game should be accessible to anyone.