gdf

Plug your shit

Yeah Hollow, it looks very pretty, I think at least an update when it's finished would be great. Also I want to comment on BigJKO's game but then I think I should probably play Ben There, Dan That and the sequel so I can comment on the walk cycles, since I've owned them for years and haven't gotten to them.

I'm really sorry, Ben!

Woah, thanks for the positive responses everyone! Really glad you all like it :D

I'll refrain from posting updates in here too often, but if anyone is interested in the game, I could always make a thread later down the line in the game development sub-thread!

I'd say it's definitely worth dropping the occasional note in here about it.  I know that I don't check the development thread, ever, and I'd be curious how it goes. 

Yeah Hollow, it looks very pretty, I think at least an update when it's finished would be great. Also I want to comment on BigJKO's game but then I think I should probably play Ben There, Dan That and the sequel so I can comment on the walk cycles, since I've owned them for years and haven't gotten to them.

I'm really sorry, Ben!

Agh! Don't worry about those has-Bens and Dans! Their time is over, now is the time of Greg and Linda!

Synth, you should play Greg And Linda and then play BTDT up to the opening titles. That should take about ten minutes out of your day, and you'll be able to impress your friends with your insight into obscure adventure game walk cycles!

Hey megaspel, not that I'm any authority on what makes a good portfolio, but yours is noisy and not obvious to navigate. If rigging, modelling, and mocap are your top three skills, the first thing I should see on the page are examples of that. If you get your demo reel done that's a great thing to have as your landing page. Get rid of all the fancy motion stuff, get clean simple backgrounds, the focus of the portfolio should be the content within it, not the site itself. Sorry to be so harsh.

I'm kind of with Spenny and Lacabra at the moment. I think the noise in general is hugely distracting from your actual work. With noise I mean the constant movement of the entire screen. My eyes go all over the place. If I ignore the instructions and just use the mouse, I still end up with a horizontal scroll bar somewhere in my screen which looks a little messy? When deciding to scroll back up to the categories, I was initially rather confused when it just kept going until I noticed the loop.

When I scroll down on Mac Chrome, I can scroll through your entire portfolio with a twitch of the finger. Macs don't have scroll wheels.

I'm not a fan of the captions over the pieces, often because the captions are overlapping the pieces.

Honestly, I feel like you're trying to serve two different audiences here - you want to show off your art pieces, and you want to show off your JS skills. In trying to show off your JS skills, though, you're making your portfolio much less usable, which implies that your JS/web development skills are lacking enough that you need a UX designer standing over you to ensure that your work can be used by people who are expecting to be able to scroll down and hit back and view it on a mobile. The only people I've seen who have really elaborate personal sites are the very top-tier, most people can get away with something simple. Make a separate section of your portfolio, put specific JS portfolio pieces in there.

When you said any feedback would be appreciated, you probably should have mentioned which suggestions you would and wouldn't listen to...

A while back I wanted to do something ASP.NET to freshen up my web dev 'skills'. This was around the time I was deep in to XCOM: Enemy Within and I had run out of name ideas for my dudes (you need a lot of dudes) so I made a random name generator site, even bought a domain for it check it out:

http://www.namingen.com

Any feedback appreciated, more name generation types, bugs, usability, issues, features etc.

A while back I wanted to do something ASP.NET to freshen up my web dev 'skills'. This was around the time I was deep in to XCOM: Enemy Within and I had run out of name ideas for my dudes (you need a lot of dudes) so I made a random name generator site, even bought a domain for it check it out:

http://www.namingen.com

Any feedback appreciated, more name generation types, bugs, usability, issues, features etc.

I think you could use more broad categories, personally I think having 'films' as a general one would make for a goofy mish mash of different influences. You could still just have it as well as the other ones anyway.

Also it seems to be oddly slow for what seems like a simple thing to do, is that an intentional thing to give a pause for the user as if the generator is thinking?

lso it seems to be oddly slow for what seems like a simple thing to do, is that an intentional thing to give a pause for the user as if the generator is thinking?

Yes, the categories and interface needs updating, it's the same structure as when there were only two categories, I've added lots of new data since then and it's become a mess. I will fix that, probably structured tag selection.

And yes, having it display one name at a time is by design. The fade is just for show as I'm trying to giving it a slot machine type feel. I just as easily make 100 or 1000 names at a time (I do during development) but I feel it detracts from the experience and somewhat 'devalues' each name. Maybe 5-10 names at a time will be better for the end user.

edit: Thanks for you feedback SuperBiasedMan :)

Ho ho ho. Why not celebrate Christmas with a super simple Android rhythm game that has nothing Christmassy about it at all?
Assuming you haven't thought of any valid reasons, here's a link to just such a game I made.

I made it as part of my one game a week project, so I'm aware it's pretty light on stuff and I'm still learning android so I might come back to it when I know what I'm doing!

I never said I would do whatever anyone said. The feedback has been helpful, but I may choose to fix some problems mentioned in a different direction.

To me your responses read as unappreciative and uninterested in actual feedback instead of back-patting and maybe some QA.

I never do this, but I did a Me Talking Over Video video. This one is about the ways in which Unreal Engine level design has a lot of catching up to do when compared to Quake 1's (in one important respect, anyway) if it's planning on targeting smaller developers more now. More specifically it's about how editing CSG in Unreal (including 4) sucks, and why that is something that should be fixed instead of handwaved away as not being a big deal.

Like I said I never talk to microphones so I'd dig any feedback on how I could be better at it (other than just getting a decent microphone).