gdf

Plug your shit

Hey, your Restart Story button works! Mine never did. Did you have to do something to achieve that?

I didn't do anything specific to make it work, it just seemed to work for me. You didn't change the name of the Start passage did you? Assuming you didn't, I have no clue what I did. :D

I don't think so. In fact, iiirc that would break the whole thing. Anyway, a cool little writer's block simulator. Hope it helped!

The first week might not have been ideal but I am loving your devblog so far Grayson!

Thanks I am super bad at writing but I want to be honest with it, going to be writing about my life as well.

I think it's a good way to talk about games, making games and everything that surrounds it.

We've just started a contest on my site to create a sweet-ass Quake 3 map, in celebration of the game's upcoming 15th anniversary. We've managed to get id Software, ZBrush, Hammerwatch, and CG Textures on board as sponsors and are offering some pretty great prizes for the development-minded among us. If you have any interest, get involved! It should be a lot of fun and it's been involving getting this all together.

MapCore's Quake 3 15th Anniversary Contest

Even if you don't wish to participate, any help with promoting this (even if it's just a like or retweet) would be much appreciated. One big goal of this is to breathe some life back into the Quake 3 community and give its die-hard fans some new stuff to play on.

In the continuing odyssey of weird things I'm doing that I've somehow managed to get my university to pay me for, I'm streaming horror games and talking about on this twitch channel: twitch.tv/rpgseries

I've never streamed anything before, but I do rather like the Ravenholm section of Half-Life 2, so I'm going to be playing that and talking about it in 20 minutes or so if anyone is bored/feels like laughing at how poorly it will inevitably end up going.

Not directly my shit, though I've been working for them and am there doing production for the GameCity Festival this week: National Video game Arcade

Since March, It has been enormously difficult to not speak those three words to anyone, and now I can shout them at the top of my lungs. GameCity moved into their very own building and, until the announcement last night, I spent the first half of the festival fielding questions like "How did you get permission to paint signs on the walls?" with answers like "Er, I dunno, it'll probably be fine".

They have more than thirty thousand square feet of building and I've been making arcade machines and installations for the past few weeks. Including this, since we accidentally ended up with a load of cat vinyl and it needed sprucing up:

854873134f.jpg

Not directly my shit, though I've been working for them and am there doing production for the GameCity Festival this week: National video game Arcade

Since March, It has been enormously difficult to not speak those three words to anyone, and now I can shout them at the top of my lungs. GameCity moved into their very own building and, until the announcement last night, I spent the first half of the festival fielding questions like "How did you get permission to paint signs on the walls?" with answers like "Er, I dunno, it'll probably be fine".

They have more than thirty thousand square feet of building and I've been making arcade machines and installations for the past few weeks. Including this, since we accidentally ended up with a load of cat vinyl and it needed sprucing up:

854873134f.jpg

!!!!!

How exciting! I did not see this coming.

Also, it was cool meeting you on the weekend.

"we accidentally ended up with a load of cat vinyl"

You know you're leading the good life when you end up in the place with a lot of excess cat vinyl.

(edited)

(I actually became a convert to "video game" from "videogame" this year, because contracting other types of game, like board game, in type felt super weird. But that's what the NVA are calling themselves, and it is catchier. NVGA sounds like a stupid screen resolution or something).

At least this name for video games never caught on.

Softs. Softs!

"Have you played any good softs recently?"

"Hardcore softs"

"This soft blew me away"

I always liked "vidcons" even though it doesn't actually mean anything... meaningful. First I heard it was in Charles Barkley's Shut Up & Jam Gaiden, but I don't think that's where it originated. They frequently refer to their games as vidcons in their Kickstarter posts for the sequel.

EDIT: Hahaha on the TVTropes page for that game, there's this gem:

The pump makes a long rant about people who write "Vidcon" as "Vid con".

Nice nice.

So this is the reason I haven't had a life the past few months (posting on here == having a life, for me): I made an exploration-y wander-around-to-music game called FUTUREVOXIMAGINARIUMDOTEXE with Ben Weatherall (@SunraHeadgear). We were basically pottering around in Unity with some voxels and then Ben was like "hey, I have this musician friend Rich who does cool music" - so we decided to take some tracks and turn it into an interactive album where you're wandering around a surreal futurescape (as you do).

Of course, I was doing this while lead devving on Armello, which has meant a few sleepless nights and some weird things making it into the game. So. Erm. Enjoy.

I actually became a convert to "video game" from "video game" this year