gdf

Plug your shit

It got a thumbs down on Youtube. Mission accomplished.

haha jesus this is one of the best things i've seen in a long time

Hey you guys, I put out some songs that kind of don't really fit together that well but are all pretty cool I think. For fans of ambient/experimental house and downtempo?? I have a hard time classifying stuff but maybe you'd like it. You can grab it here.

Finally listened to this EP.  It was good!

If anyone needs more music, my album appeared on Spotify today!  Ariskany Records - Heraclitus w/ Boombox

7 tracks, 16 minutes.

Starts with a drone track to whet your palette.  Followed by a strange appropriation of the sound of Miles Davis's "On the Street".  Then an attempt to very clearly underline some base fears in blatant terms.  A short instrumental break.  Followed by a nesting doll of pop construction.  "A bit of nostalgia for the old folks."  Ending with a gentle dissolving.

Recorded in Logic using soft synths and sampled instruments, except for a few stray guitar parts and vox.

My wife tells me I have too much of a penchant for "bad sounding" things in my writing (read:  maybe a bit too idiosyncratic), but this one thankfully still gets her seal of approval.  Phew.

It's you! I watched your newest video a few days ago and thought it was great. 

haha jesus this is one of the best things i've seen in a long time

Ah, thanks :)

I'm not sure if this is quite the right place to ask this, but I recorded a podcast with some friends of mine and we are looking for a place to host it. We've been using google drive, but that seems pretty sub-optimal. Does anyone know a good place to host a podcast that maybe 15 people will download?

I'm not sure if this is quite the right place to ask this, but I recorded a podcast with some friends of mine and we are looking for a place to host it. We've been using google drive, but that seems pretty sub-optimal. Does anyone know a good place to host a podcast that maybe 15 people will download?

I hear all the kids are using Soundcloud these days. I've also heard Podbean is okay but have no personal experience with it so your mileage may vary.

Nachimir, I saw the write-up on RPS of Feral Vector, sounds like a pretty good job. Also a great name, Feral Vector.

Thanks Roderick. I was pleased with the name too, and apparently the event was good enough we've pushed the colostomy bag manufacturer of the same name further down the google ranks.

This years was exhausting, not to mention preceded by food poisoning and followed by another straight week of event work. I think ticket sales suffered a little from the name change, but it laid a lot of groundwork for future stuff.

Ahem, did anyone get a chance to play that Twine game?  :chaste:  :buyme:

If anyone needs more music, my album appeared on Spotify today!  Ariskany Records - Heraclitus w/ Boombox

7 tracks, 16 minutes.

Starts with a drone track to whet your palette.  Followed by a strange appropriation of the sound of Miles Davis's "On the Street".  Then an attempt to very clearly underline some base fears in blatant terms.  A short instrumental break.  Followed by a nesting doll of pop construction.  "A bit of nostalgia for the old folks."  Ending with a gentle dissolving.

Recorded in Logic using soft synths and sampled instruments, except for a few stray guitar parts and vox.

My wife tells me I have too much of a penchant for "bad sounding" things in my writing (read:  maybe a bit too idiosyncratic), but this one thankfully still gets her seal of approval.  Phew.

Consider me a fan, love it, adding your album on my spotify.

Hey you guys, I put out some songs that kind of don't really fit together that well but are all pretty cool I think. For fans of ambient/experimental house and downtempo?? I have a hard time classifying stuff but maybe you'd like it. You can grab it here.

More great music, love it.

I di[e]d.

Ha ha! It has become obvious to me that I can't highlight enough the fact that the player is supposed to die regularly, and restart then go in different directions. A lot of people die once then give up. If Twine weren't so quirky, I'd automate the restart...

For games like that, I find myself increasingly uninterested in following all the possibilities because going down a branch I haven't been down is inevitably going to lead to first dying, and then having to replay the whole thing again to get back to a choice I hadn't taken. The Stanley Parable at least made it worthwhile: it didn't take long to get back to the branches, and then you got several minutes of unique content that had its own themes and a clear voice.

I enjoyed it, but I didn't bother going down more than a few branches.

I tried to branch it out as much as possible so that it wouldn't take long to get to a new choice, and it's not that big, so you possibly played a fair bit of it. It is an inherent issue with the 'often-ending' thing that came out of its GDC Journal origins. I could plausibly do a different version where there are fewer deaths and it's more linear/inter-linked so the player is likely to catch more of the writing, and/or perhaps a "quick-load" for all deaths.

If you haven't found yourself in the middle of some Big fan-fic, though, you definitely haven't replayed enough!

For the past five months, some friends and I have been making weekly video sketches.  Some weeks it's genuine heart-and-soul material; others, a simple deadline exercise to avoid creative stagnation.  I'll leave it up to you to decide where the below video falls on that spectrum.

This week we decided to break form and mimic a generic YouTube gaming channel.  The premise: a Super Mario Bros. speedrun by people who have never played Super Mario Bros.

It's safe to say we owe the choice of end credits music to Idle Thumbs.

I keep meaning not to be the dude who comes into this forum for this thread once a year to plug a shit (usually the same shit)*... buuuut the new page of Hobo Lobo is quite a treat, it took for fucking ever to put together, and now that it's done I want ever more eyeballs on it stat. GIVE ME EYEBALLS! It's not a huge investment of time on the reading end and it's well worth it! Show it to cool people! Put it in your RSS reader for later! NOTE: Link will play music at you.

:stan:HOBO LOBO page 7!!

* To my defense I lurk a bit, just don't post much

I keep meaning not to be the dude who comes into this forum for this thread once a year to plug a shit (usually the same shit)*... buuuut the new page of Hobo Lobo is quite a treat, it took for fucking ever to put together, and now that it's done I want ever more eyeballs on it stat. GIVE ME EYEBALLS! It's not a huge investment of time on the reading end and it's well worth it! Show it to cool people! Put it in your RSS reader for later! NOTE: Link will play music at you.

:stan:HOBO LOBO page 7!!

* To my defense I lurk a bit, just don't post much

Oh wow, I read this ages ago when Scott McCloud highlighted it but I haven't gone back to it since. I really like this, just the way you have it all coherently fitting the innate style of it. It's not that hard to make a comic that's scrolling and reactive (...I think? Maybe I'm way wrong on that) but actually designing it in a way that flows with the narrative itself and really contributes to the feel is what made me love this back when I first found it. Now to read back over it again.

Oh wow, I read this ages ago when Scott McCloud highlighted it but I haven't gone back to it since. I really like this, just the way you have it all coherently fitting the innate style of it. It's not that hard to make a comic that's scrolling and reactive (...I think? Maybe I'm way wrong on that) but actually designing it in a way that flows with the narrative itself and really contributes to the feel is what made me love this back when I first found it. Now to read back over it again.

TANKS! There is quite a bit of infrastructure in place to make it all look effortless—but yeah, personally, I'm more proud of the design and composition and art than the technical bits that make it all jive.

Looking back at what the comic was when Scott McCloud pointed it out to peeps makes me cringe a little. It got infinitely better thereafter. I keep wanting to redraw parts of those first two pages. I know it is expected for web comics to start out kinda crappy-looking and get better, but now that I have more of an understanding of what compositions work, what looks busy and busted, etc, it won't be too much work to go in and tighten things here and there... One one hand, I suspect web comic community would collectively slap me for thinking about going there—on the other, I really only figured out what Lobo looks like on the fourth page and really should synch up the earlier Lobos...

FWIW, I've seen plenty of webcomic artists go back and redraw pages or even chapters and the only time there seems to be any backlash is when they change the story, like an edit that feels more like a retcon to long-term fans. But even that is... whatever. Webcomics are such a weird way of doing things. With a normal comic, you'd do it all, then go back and edit and edit some more and more and more. Personally I admire webcomic artists who actually take the time to go back and fix things they don't like.

Also I've somehow never taken the time to read your Shit and I feel ashamed. I will amend that posthaste!

Great stuff! I like the kid in the Lobo outfit, and did I see a Finn hat as well? I was wondering if the snooty kid all in black was a reference to something... Also, is the sculptor in part 5 a self-portrait?