gdf

Plug your shit

I wrote a big ol' feature for Polygon that's based off some of the Steam hat trading stuff that was talked about on the cast a couple months ago. I tracked down and interviewed a bunch of the people involved in that stuff, which was really goddamn difficult, but I think it turned out pretty well!

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/5/22/5590070/steam-valve-item-trading

Congrats!! Idle Thumbs referenced you again on the most recent podcast, and I was thinking "Oh, Polygon just ran that story, I wonder if it's the same guy?"  :D

I wrote a big ol' feature for Polygon that's based off some of the Steam hat trading stuff that was talked about on the cast a couple months ago. I tracked down and interviewed a bunch of the people involved in that stuff, which was really goddamn difficult, but I think it turned out pretty well!

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/5/22/5590070/steam-valve-item-trading

Congrats, I really enjoyed reading this!

Now I know exactly why I get random Russians adding me on Steam. 

I am an environment artist student/freelance person. I made a few Firewatch assets last night for fun instead of sleeping. 

Here's a silly lamp

Here's a silly Walkie Talkie 

I am also currently working on Black Ice The Game Remaking every single asset to make them look pretty and creating a few new enemy types. Go support it on greenlight! Extremely fun game made by a single talented programmer. 

I'll link my folio if I ever get it up and running again.

That was a damn swell article, Niyeaux! Very interesting to see the seedy underbelly of Steam so exposed.

I'm pretty sure someone convinced me to part with my Max Hat.

Congrats!! Idle Thumbs referenced you again on the most recent podcast, and I was thinking "Oh, Polygon just ran that story, I wonder if it's the same guy?"   :D

I'm not the guy whose emails they've been reading on the cast, I'm just a dude who heard that stuff and got inspired to track some of those people down and write a feature about it.

Hey all, here's my shit! (not literally!)

I need all the support I can get! (not with the shitting)

I've been working on an immersive, but procedurally generated roguelike-like (realtime with permadeath). It has real pretty dynamically lit pixel art caves.

Gameplay exists somewhere in between sneaking past a single guard and slaying 1000 red eyed troglodytes at once with an axe spin.

https://twitter.com/lostinacave

cavegrass.png swarmed.png

Also it's summer and I couldn't find any T shirts that didn't have annoying sayings on them.

So I started this to try to get some funding for the above project.

http://teespring.com/hauberk

http://teespring.com/thegrueshirt

hauberk.png

This probably surprised me the most! That seems like a huge flaw in the Greenlight system. Why leverage the community and then not notify them when their picks go through?

Yeah, it's the single biggest, most obvious fuckup of the whole thing. Even if you think the whole system is "good in theory", it's fundamentally broken, as compared to what it wants to be.

Your appeal to TPB pirates reminded me of when Caravel Games appealed to piracy rings to stop distributing the first commercial DROD release. The Pirate Bay told us to fuck off, but there was one group that thought it was pretty cool that our "free" "demo" contained the level editor and the ability to import fan-created levels without restriction and agreed to not distribute the paid version. Caravel initially did that because it was an open-source release that had content sold commercially bolted on, but we found that our free-to-play version had an unusual upside: cash-poor players could participate in the community and build levels and contribute, and they would save up and buy the game as an expression of belonging.

also fuck Abbott amirite

That's really interesting and rad. It struck me as a bad idea immediately to actually ask piracy folks to not distribute the game, piracy folks being all about Freedom and Sharing and stuff I guess. I think a lot of them do understand though that if they only ever get stuff for free, people like us don't get to keep making stuff, and folks have a lot of respect/admiration for creators even if they do steal their work all the time.

I got a bunch of emails from Pirate Bay folks, some saying "I wasn't going to buy your game but I read your message and bought it", some folks saying "I pirated your game and really liked it so I bought it", some "I pirated your game and I thought it was shitty but I read your message and liked the way you handled that so I bought it", and some saying "every month after rent, bills, food and internet, I have no money, so I pirated your game, and I won't be buying it any time soon, but I wanted to say thanks for understanding!". Weird, cool, super interesting. I personally have no problem with any of those statements.

So the Blink Bundle was your second biggest launch after Steam? That's pretty interesting. Is that based on volume or revenue structure or what?

That's based purely on how many cash dollaz Impromptu got in the first payment. I don't have access to the detailed stats where I am right now, maybe I should have included them. I was super surprised by how much Blink made though. Apparently it was their first bundle, so whoever was in charge of that must have done a pretty incredible job getting the word out for it to trump Indie Royale, which is known. I guess it Desura's was only a daily bundle though.

I forgot to mention in the post that dealing with Indie Royale was annoying. Dealing with the Desura guys is almost always annoying to me. On the bundle, they kept angling to get me to actually distribute the game on Desura, which I didn't want to do, I only wanted them distributing Steam keys. Then they didn't tell me what day the bundle was going up - some random person told me it was up on Twitter. Then afterwards, they took a couple days responding to my email asking how much money it made, and when they did get me a figure it was "log onto desura and check your stats page because I can't see the stats", and then when I asked when I'd be getting paid, they didn't reply, I had to ask again, I think it took like 10 days. Then when they finally paid me, they paid me through Paypal, which was not what I had on the invoice, and I lost like $40 in Paypal fees. Add to that their tone in emails/PMs usually seems kind of superior and dickish, and their customer support guy's twitter routinely quotes and mocks Desura support emails, and the relatively paltry sum, I'd just as soon never deal with Desura again.

Hey guys, here's my latest video. This one looks at how I play Minecraft for stress reduction. Plus special bonus of me building a Viking longhouse.

Beardo

MAtmos, though it looks like it might not be compatible with recent versions of Minecraft.

I started editing and posting talks from the event I did last year (the next one is on July the 4th in London). Here are two, apologies for audio quality:

The venue were kind enough to set up a camera, but they couldn't run the mic into it, and also set it to 1080p and 120FPS… transcoding and cleaning up the audio has been a bunch of work, and it's still far from perfect. The source files had a lot of ambient sound, and I don't think I can clean them up any more than this. I've bought a lapel mic and decent audio recorder as a backup for this year.

Not plugging my shit, but a friend of mine's -

Game Event Rewind - http://gerewind.com/

It's just basically a repository of press conferences including the ones from E3 this year. He watched through them and put some timestamps up so you can find what parts of it you want to see easily. Nothing too mind blowing, but it is handy.

Just want to re-plug this in advance of next week. It's really useful.

I made a comic/twine (cwine!) thing for the Public Domain Jam, I thought I'd plug here. It's super short, and there's not a whole of branching, because.. jams! But check it out. It's hopefully a bit faster now (images preload and it was doing some heavy array searching before) if you've played it already.

panel_01.png

www.diesiebenraben.com

Excellent work, JK.

edit: RubixCube, the last half hour of astronomy / astrology angst was amazing chat. Opposites attract, huh? I mean, complimentary personalities...