gdf

Plug your shit

Thanks you two. I'm not wondering about the legal side (Alex's got me covered there. ;) ), just purely looking for ideas on a How do I make it look good if I have to write descriptions for some of the games?

Justin, this is already something I'm afraid not a lot of people want, so I want to make just one big book if I can get 100 pre-orders. All the logistics of making that one book is headache enough, without thinking about doing even more. :)

After all this back and forth between print shops and lawyers, I really hope I do end up being able to make this. Otherwise I'd be sad. :sad: And toblix wouldn't stop bothering me about it, yeah?!

EDIT: If I do write descriptions for them all, I could put it below each illustration.. That would at least mean the same page count.. I don't know. It'd be a bit of text, but not too much, discreetly below the illustration. Any potential buyers out there who has an opinion on whether that would put them off this?

But we need to think big. We need to think about how this is eventually going to become the PointClicking Box Set in years to come.

You line them all up and all the spines create another beautiful illustration.

How much description are you planning on/required to have? Because having it for every game would definitely be the better option. Would one or two lines at the bottom of each one really cause a big design/space issue? Would it help/be allowed to have all the descriptions in a chapter at the back?

How much description are you planning on/required to have? Because having it for every game would definitely be the better option. Would one or two lines at the bottom of each one really cause a big design/space issue? Would it help/be allowed to have all the descriptions in a chapter at the back?

I don't know the extent of the descriptions yet (I'll get some guidelines from Alex later), but I think I could fit it under the illustrations. That way I could just do one for them all without blowing up the page count.

I think that'll be the way to go. Something discrete below each illustration. Depending on what guidelines I get from Alex, of course.

This is what I'm thinking of doing, if I go for just writing descriptions for everything. But man, that's gonna be one hell of a task.. After two days I'm up to illustration #2.. And they're not even particularly interesting and full of bullshit adjectives.. :(

IKJesv6.png

It's only two sentences! I can write some (EDIT: all, really, despite not having played half of them!) of them for free if you like :)

EDIT: maybe a more interesting approach would be to primarily tak about the games' art styles? For example, Full Throttle's being inspired by Mike Mignola.

Barney, that looks awesome. I have to say the name is a bit of an issue with me though given the years of precedence Dungeon Crawl has. Like, your game will very hard to google with that name.

I would probably buy this granted it was affordable for me personally (I dunno, ~$50 shipped would be impulse territory and for more I'd have to think about it) and preorders happened at a time when I happened to have money (soon, tax refund time yeaaaaah!) Descriptions on each page would be great and that mockup is super solid.

Lump me in with those that would think it was weird to have some with descriptions and others without. If you were going to have some with and some without, I think you should have the page laid out slightly differently as not to highlight the lack of description by means of white space.

It's only two sentences! I can write some of them for free if you like :)

EDIT: maybe a more interesting approach would be to primarily tak about the games' art styles? For example, Full Throttle's being inspired by Mike Mignola.

Holy shit, Ben. That would be quite amazing. And I really like the art style idea! That's a much more interesting approach. :D

Let me wait and see what Alex sends back in regards to guideline for this to see if there are any specific requirements for the descriptions.

Cool dude, I'll PM you my email in the meantime.

WARNING: the Time Gentlemen, Please! entry will be two paragraphs long and extremely effusive.

WARNING: the Time Gentlemen, Please! entry will be two paragraphs long and extremely effusive.

:tup:

That layout looks good, and I agree with Ben. In fact, you could probably easily crowdsource this to the forum.

Another idea would be to go more personal with it. What inspired you to make art for this particular adventure game? Why this scene or this character?

Hmm.. That's not a bad idea. The personal angle would be good. Maybe a mix? One personal sentence and then a sentence of trivia on art style.. 

You should probably go for Objective Game Summaries.

With an Objective Review Score at the end. Done! :tup:

I could write stuff too! I have experience writing objective things!

I don't think Tycho has enough experience. His reviews don't include enough comprehensive lists of details in games.

I've been pushed out already  ;(

It was those paragraphs of Ben There, Dan That trivia wot done it. YOU'RE OUT!

Not really. I'll have a think about the personal angle.. Maybe write some of it and get you to help me with the harder ones? The personal angle, why I chose this game, scene, etc. was actually something Alex already suggested. Lawyer'd!

Well, I suggested him (even though you claim to have had his page open) so I'll take credit for that.

If you haven't yet, check out the rest of them through the link in JKO's sig. They're all brillo!

Yes! My bro and his wife love Grim Fandango, so i was eying up a print for them!

BigJKO, that book is something I definitely interested in. I've been mulling over buying some of your work in picture frames, but I never found the right one (the Star Trek picture is in my top list for it). A book is super cool though, collecting them all in one.

About the descriptions: I like having them, because it adds some context to the pictures, gives you a reason to linger a little. But for heaven's sake, make them fun! Not just an informative Wikipedia quote - show us why we love these games, why you picked them, reminisce or share an insane anecdote. It would be a wasted opportunity not to make this deeply personal and inspiring.