gdf

Plug your shit

i would defs put an objectivegamereviews quote on my steam page

Lend me a copy if InFlux, one of the many games that I shamefully have yet to play, and some day soon you may have the opportunity to!

And yeah the adventure game stuff looks cool. Are the moving pixels on the cup on purpose? I think it's an interesting visual motif.

more shit from the potential adventure game

Very elegant solutions for the perspective shift. Is this Unity?

The art style definitely comes to life once the great lighting you have outdoors kicks in. That's one beef I've always had with Minecraft (which is the closest virtual approximation I can come up with): it would look so much better if they kept the geometry and textures exactly the same but implemented some much nicer lighting and shaders. After playing GTA5 and experiencing its quite frankly incredible lighting, spinning up Minecraft left me feeling pretty dry between the legs.

Anyway, your game looks great and you should definitely figure out how to make this a great, engaging experience. I'd recommend you try and get more gorgeous lighting into the indoor areas too. For example, your diner would look much better if those ceiling lights actually looked like they were emitting something and everything beyond them and the outdoor lighting were quite dark — it'd add a lot of atmosphere, and make this look like something really unique and special rather than 100% resembling an old game (although if that's your vision I accept that).

That's a good point, I think I'll mess with the indoor lighting a bit. I just don't want it to end up feeling unduly dark/dank. Also not sure how far I want to go with stuff like bloom, DOF, volumetrics etc.

Someone suggested a DOF shader that pixelates out what's not in focus instead of blurring it, which is interesting but might just end up looking shitty. I have thought about emulating shitty eyesight somehow though since you're playing as an old guy (or that is the current loose plan)

Lend me a copy if InFlux, one of the many games that I shamefully have yet to play, and some day soon you may have the opportunity to!

And yeah the adventure game stuff looks cool. Are the moving pixels on the cup on purpose? I think it's an interesting visual motif.

pm'd you a code. The dude who did the cup didn't do that on purpose I don't think, but I think it's great. We could use the same approach to make Stan's shirt from Monkey Island. I love that shirt

Very elegant solutions for the perspective shift. Is this Unity?

D'you mean the way the dialog boxes are moving around? And, nah UE3. I thought about doing it in 4 partly for hilarity but it is probably better to use the thing we already know inside out

Dude, this looks so beautiful! Hope this actually becomes a thing.

Thaaaaaaaaaanks <3 I hope so too, never done a story-based game before so I'm kind of anxious about fucking it up

D'you mean the way the dialog boxes are moving around?

Yeah mostly. Being that adventure games are hardly ever first person, it's nice to see genre staples be so cleanly implemented despite, as I said, a shift in perspective.

That and the carrying of the coffee cup (akin to Gone Home). Though I'm curious; will there be some sort of inventory system to carry multiple items? How do you think you'll implement something like that in first person? or are you designing with a work around in mind?

Plenty of first person games have inventories. Deus Ex, Thief, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, and Dark Forces all have inventories, for instance.

Plenty of first person games have inventories. Deus Ex, Thief, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, and Dark Forces all have inventories, for instance.

Absolutely true. A fair amount of them also have dialog, but both their dialog and inventory systems usually open separate menus. Lacabra's demo had an in game dialog system and though it's entirely possible he would have an inventory menu, I was curious to see if he had any ideas for an in-game solution. Not sure if that makes any sense :P

Also, i can't speak for E.Y.E. or Dark Forces, as I have never played either. 

I am indeed being fairly anti-fixed-HUD and immersive-simmy about this. The most important thing about the conversation system for me was that it not lock your camera/movement and force your focus. You can talk to a person while still walking around the room looking at stuff. If you get too far away the text just gets too small to read right now, which I feel like maps pretty well to just walking too far away to hear the person's speech clearly (though if it's you they were talking to they should probably stop speaking if you just walk away like that).

The inventory system (planned, not yet implemented) is that if you want to hang onto something, you put it in the trunk of the car and can go grab it again later. If you're carrying an item when you get in the car, it just gets placed on the dash until you get out, and if there are story-important items like clues or whatever that have no physical use they probably get a permanent spot on the dash.

This is all mega early and subject to change but the idea is you're investigating something and the car is the hub of your investigation as well as your transport (see map idea above). So as you play on you'll probably end up with a car full of crap that's hopefully pertinent to the investigation and you'll be able to look around the interior of the car at the progress you've hopefully made.

Also I want to have a lot of minute interactivity with the car like being able to wind down the windows (cue wind when driving fast), toggle headlights and windscreen wipers etc by clicking on that mechanism in the car. And maybe the radio except this currently feels like a non-diegetic music kind of game to me

Great idea on the dialog disappearing. You should also make the other person angry when you walk away during a conversation. So half way through the text the guy would stop and the text would be replaced with "He!... I'm talking to you". And when you come back he continues, or if you won't he will become disgruntled.

You should make the inventory more physical. Like, you can fit small things in the pocket of your pants and jacket. But larger things should go in a suitcase which you actually have to carry with you. You can leave the suitcase behind, but then you won't have access to that inventory.

Also, I approve of the new impromptu logo.

Thanks ya'll.

Yeah elmuerte I was defs thinking of people reacting appropriately when you do an asshole thing like just stroll off. Also, that as well as dialogue options from a menu, you could maybe ask about specific objects in the scene by examining them while in the conversation (if there's a look at/examine function which maybe there won't be).

We thought about the suitcase thing pretty early on but it's probably only useful if you're away from the car a lot, which we're currently thinking you're not. We really like the car as a constant presence/mobile home/hub thing.

Decided to switch to Unreal Engine 4 for the adventure game, which means we have to redo some stuff, but a lot of other things will be easier plus there are other reasons I'm NDA'd on

so now I am remaking stuff

11858398824_5f72b2db04_b.jpg

Hot stuff, I enjoy the sky. It's a weird thing to jump to mind but you should probably get some power lines in there. You could have them blow in the wind and have a puzzle involve cutting the power to the diner. It'd be so cool!

04-talk_lupe.jpg

I dunno how heavy into puzzling I want to get, but power lines are defs a must for that scene, yeah. Having to do power lines always makes me miss Source's rope physics.

The following are contexts in which chromatic aberration is good:

1) The player teleports in Teleglitch.

2) You just did something to your camera lens that you think fucked it up and you want to confirm that you actually fucked it up.

3) Never anywhere else.

Looks nice Lacabra! I really like the sky and the sign. I think you could do even more experimenting with the visuals.

I'm assuming there won't be a lot of inventory-puzzles if the trunk works like an inventory? Otherwise when you get stuck the last resort of try-everything-on-everything turns into a horrible nightmare...