gdf

Plug your shit

If everyone in this office listened to Idle Thumbs, the game would be called SKYLORDS by now.

They don't, but thank you for trying. SKYLORDS is an excellent name, in my eyes.

From you list, I like "Soar and Seize" the most. But "High Jacks" gives me a pretty good idea of what I imagine you do in this game and it's a pun!

Going from the attached pictures:

Grapeplane BoomPose

"High Jacks" is quite clever and I quite like "Seven skies" as well.

...is JetGetters still available?

Yeah, Super Sky Pirates makes it sound like the gimmick is pirates rather than super fun jet getting, hurling and rocketing? (Sorry if the game does actually make extensive use of piracy motifs, if it does I'm sure it's in a way that is totally endearing)

I really like High Jacks as well. Sort of has a Wonderful 101 vibe where every character is called Jack. However, I'm a bit averse to names that reference horrific events that could actually happen, become world news, and then make reporting on your game potentially really awkward.

Kinda like how the reality of pirates is in conflict with the glamourous fantasy of pirates.

I choose to believe the fantasy of pirates IS the reality of pirates because that makes life more fun!

I choose to believe the fantasy of pirates IS the reality of pirates because that makes life more fun!

Some of my friends have joined the Merchant-Marine and when they started talking about pirates (this is like 10 years ago) I was like "No way! Pirates?"

The brutal nature of both the conditions which foster piracy and the no-nonsense attitude that they have adopted in order to prepare for the possibilty of being boarded or having to kill people seems to have trumped their Disney-upbringing. It's a weird thing. I certainly value the aesthetic and lore of cartoon-pirates, but I think that the homophone does neither of them any favors.

"Swash-buckling Rum-Smugglers" is probably a more accurate description of the gentlemen-pirates whose plank I hope to walk.

Maybe I should hold my ground instead. Take the name "pirates" from the real ones and call them "Destitute war-orphan kidnappers".

Oh yeah real-life pirates are not fun, and obviously I'm aware of that, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the fake pirate of yesteryear.

Oh yeah real-life pirates are not fun, and obviously I'm aware of that, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the fake pirate of yesteryear.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I'm just interested in this type of thing. Where do you personally draw the line at fantasy depictions of real-life unpleasantness. What determines that line? I'm sure when some people hear "sky-jackers" their immediate thought is the attacks on 9/11. A cartoon-adventure of their high-flying escapades then can be perceived as a dismissive insult to intense trauma. That's not the case for me, but I get it. I had a similar (though probably less intense) reaction when family members showed me a youtube video that they believed was actual police-footage of a DUI arrest. You may have seen it, it's from an episode of Reno 911. The police officer and the suspect create more and more complex choreography as part of a sobreity-test. They are both having a great time and the suspect is happily "well you got me."

I didn't take any offense when I watched it with people who knew that it was a comedy skit, but when family-members presented it as if it were real, it kinda bugged me.

I think that part of what bothered me about it is that I know that they trust the police. They work normal hours, dress rich and are always in their cars after dark. I, on the other hand, trespass as a hobby, dress like a bum, and walk around suburban neighborhoods at 2 in the morning for the thrill of it. I've been arrested for made-up charges, put in jail for 3 days because I had no money, watched a cop beat the shit out of a dude in jail for an insult, almost been run over by a cop-car who was driving atleast 35 mph into a driveway without their headlights on, had three officers pull their guns on me because they were looking for someone else and I was wearing a hoody at night, and I pay attention to police-brutality reports. So when my family was getting fact and fiction mixed up and thinking that cops are fun-loving and forgiving (as seen on Reno 911), it felt like they were saying that my complaints of treatment were exaggerated lies.

I'm not saying that Police Academy 7 shouldn't be made, it's just a complex issue that interests me.

I'm sure everyone has their limits. I bet Agatha Christie was a sore-spot for some in her day; and I imagine that there would be a public out-cry if a movie was made about some Mr. Magoo serial-rapist.

All of the permutations and their social acceptability as entertainment is not obvious to me. It's fascinating.

I don't know what just happened!

I've had the "where is your line" conversation on these forums before. It didn't go well. So I'm not going to respond. Sorry. U: (Also this is the wrong thread for it, anyway.)

I don't know what just happened!

I've had the "where is your line" conversation on these forums before. It didn't go well. So I'm not going to respond. Sorry. U: (Also this is the wrong thread for it, anyway.)

That's fine. I'm only looking for consensual conversation. You didn't say anything offensive, I just tend to turn shit up to 11.

Hey Lacabra I liked your game InFlux! I forgot to tell you that!

The only problem I had was an inexplicable motion sickness - something that rarely afflicts me. Probably field of view related, now that I think about it. I probably should've looked into that when I was still playing it.

i mean uh

Where are the cheesemints dur hur game is worthless without 'em.

Hey thanks for the feedback old mate

I have heard the motion sickness thing from one or two other people before. If it is an FOV thing you can have a go at fixing it by turning on the console (remove the semicolon in ";ConsoleKey" from InFlux/Engine/Config/DefaultInput.ini) and typing "fov 90" or whatever fov you want in the console in the vidjagame. Would be interesting to hear if this sorts you out. The default FOV I think is 75? which is slightly higher than the default in Half-Life 2. I remember some people having a problem with that when HL2 shipped (HL1's was 90) and I sometimes got headaches myself playing Halo 2 on PC, where the FOV is something ridiculous like 45.

In other news I have no real new shit to plug, but I no longer have to keep it a secret that I'm working with Unreal Engine 4 now. 

And I did a little more on this thing (which is not on UE4, although I think it would be hilarious to make a game in this style on UE4):

9919899413_dda64632b9_b.jpg

Huuuuge :tup: to that screenshot.

Also, yes. Super Citizen Kane is obviously the name for your game I_Smell.

I prefer "Skyjacks" or "Skyjackers" over "High Jacks". While the latter is more clever, it's more awkward to say out loud. If someone mentioned it on a podcast, I wouldn't know if I should search for "Highjacks", "High jacks", "Hijacks", or "Hi, Jacks!". 

A couple of years back, I made a ridiculous faux corporate motivational song on the iPad. People responded weirdly well to it (weirdly as in "oddly specifically"; three separate listeners independently said "I sang this in the shower").  The idea of a music video was entertained and (as I seem chronically compelled to bring all high-effort, low-payoff, wouldn't-it-be-cool-if pet projects to completion) finally finished today.

I couldn't resist a quick shout-out to some Thumbs fan friends with a token Weinhändler at 1:02. (You could also count the coincidental inclusion of the

, which C. Remo recently embraced to great effect on Twitter.)

Now the only thing left is to ask "why?"

For some reason I've decided to teach myself photography. I bought my friend's spare DSLR body for cheap, figured out what all the buttons do, and then just started trying to take pictures that don't suck.

Here's what I've managed to accomplish so far.

I'm pretty happy with how some of them turned out, though I obviously have plenty of crap about aperture and ISO and depth of field and all that to figure out still. I'm sure there's some Thumbs who are decent photographers, so critique is very much appreciated.

:tup: The filing cabinets and the books are my favourites. The office people one is good too. All three have really neat composition.

This one is really neat, though I'm guessing it was taken with auto white balance? It looks a bit orange, and most cameras I've had screw up auto white balance some of the time.

"What are f-numbers and why?" is the question no one, not even photographers and graduates I knew, would answer when I started out. Beyond describing that it means the aperture is bigger or smaller, mostly they'd say "Oh you don't need to know that" which I suspect meant "I don't know". A given f-number is the ratio of focal length divided by aperture width in millimetres (this is based around equipment originally designed for 35mm film, cameras in other formats may list attributes as "35mm equivalent"). Lenses, and consequently photography, have made a lot more sense to me since I learned that. A 50mm f1.8 prime lens can be relatively inexpensive, but will let you see this ratio in operation really obviously, play with depth of field a lot, and do photography in much lower light than you might expect.

That stack looks absolutely terrifying to pluck a book from.

Hm, please correct me if this is the wrong place to do plug this, but I often times broadcast video games and do analytic (and hopefully, often humorous) commentary on them (ala Spoiler Warning, you should check em' out).

http://www.twitch.tv/thecineaste03

Not sure if there is a thread for this? If so, is there a way to advertise when one is going to stream? Don't worry, I won't be streaming every day and this is just for fun. Also, don't expect casting competitive games since I'm not a competitive gamer. Specially don't expect a Dota cast. Lords ManagementS scare me. :P